Am I the only person?

Thank god he will never be a starter for the Bills :thumbdown: With that he did do a somewhat decent job in the 4-4-3 defensive alignment as an extra lb. Still not a fundamentaly sound tackler. Not good in coverage. Not near our best st's player. I guess he has heart or some imaginary term to make up for his lack of football skills.

i had a lot of run-ins with coy wire while i was still living in Buffalo. one of the nicest pro athletes ive ever talked to. i love him on special teams. i love his attitude. i love his background/upbringing/mentality. i will stand by my statement that the Bills will never win a game if he has to START at SS. but not for a lack of effort or preparation or desire to play the game. hes just stuck in a body thats barely too slow/bulky to be a coverage guy and too small to be a linebacker.

he also has a tramp stamp(tribal lower back tattoo, most commonly seen on college age girls), which is weird.

but there would always be a spot for him on my 53 man roster.

I guess he has heart or some imaginary term to make up for his lack of football skills.

It takes more than "heart" alone to make a pro football roster for 5 straight years under 3 different head coach regimes.

Being good at special teams helps in that regard, though I get the impression that many on this message board think their judgement of special teams talent is better than Bobby April's.

Being a capable backup helps as well, and I think Wire's size and pass coverage abilities are definitely more suited for a cover-2 OLB than for a SS. According to Fewell, at least, Wire is a better LB than Haggan...well, based on late-season playing time after Crowell went on IR.

Prediction: Wire gets re-signed in March and makes the 2007 roster as a 6th/7th LB...ensuing a mass riot on TBD.

he also has a tramp stamp(tribal lower back tattoo, most commonly seen on college age girls), which is weird.

Now there's another visual image (among many, most in pass coverage) of Coy Wire I can do without. He does so many things almost well that I can't imagine this Bills team without him. The post 2000 Bills won't be the Donahoe era or the transition years, they will be the Coy Wire years. I hope the misfit toy sticks around for the good times to come.

Who actually likes Coy Wire? I like his mentality, he's messed up numerous times but his HEART is right with the Buffalo Bills... any takers on this?

I like him a lot for attitude, toughness and his ST play. I don't like that we drafted him in the 3rd (not 4th right?) round though but he can't help that the man that drinks baby blood (gosh, my third child is due in April and I can't believe I wait until now to use that moniker for TD the first time) dafted him that high.

I like Coy Wire- role players will always be a big part of winning, and he definitely plays a role- he is a good extra safety, and a very good special teamer.

Sure, he'll never live up to the crazy expectations we had for him, but how many players have

I think folks like him as a person fine, they just hate the results of his play as he was burned so many times when GW/Gray messed up in their assessment of how much Jenkins had left and were forced to throw this athlete who had never played safety before to the wolves as our starting safety.

The thing I really regreted about it was that I had hoped they would train him and he would focus on learning and doing well at the ST game, instead he tried but failed miserably at pass coverage as a safety (they thankfully got Milloy just before his second season began, but even when the Bills were shutting out NE (in part thanks to Milloy hot off the field intelligence, Wire got overmatched on one of the final plays and got a roughing penalty in the endzone- fortunately a goalline stand preserved the shutout.

It was demonstrated how much time Wire likely wasted learning safety when against CIN he was on ST and the gamer and athlete that he was he blew through the CIN OL to block a kick but as Steve Tasker (who knows a thing or two about ST work) he took an impossible to block the kicker angle and got called for roughing the punter and CIN not only kept the ball but scored to put the game in OT (again fortunately Wire's teammates bailed him out and scored to win the game).

The way he was developed was simply a waste of a very good athlete,