Who will be picked #1 overall in the 2007 draft?

Oneonta Buffalo Fan

I'm not a huge JaMarcus Russell fan. I think LSU has had a stacked team for about 4 years and Russell has been a big part of it, but not the deciding factor. I remember LSU absolutely dominating Miami last year in the Peach bowl with Matt Flynn as their QB. This may sound strange, but Russell did not impress me at the Sugar Bowl. I thought he was good, but if his recent stock surge was a result of his performance there, then I think he is a little overrated. He threw lofty passes all night to his WRs who had a minimum 2 step lead on our DBs. He beat up on a terrible defense and still made a few mistakes. If the thought is that he has not approached his ceiling yet, then I can see why he is such a highly touted prospect. I mean, he is an absolute monster. But I think whoever takes him will need to be very patient...not one of Al Davis' known virtues.

That being said, Oakland must take a QB and I think the Raiders should take Quinn. I'm not sure if he is #1 overall material, but adding another WR (CJ) would be futile unless they make a move to pick up a real veteran QB (Garcia?). Passing over Leinart last year just turned up the pressure to avoid making a similar mistake (assuming Leinart turns out). Quinn potentially is the type of player you could build a franchise around. He is smart, tough and has better throwing tools than any other QB in this draft. If he continues to progress, then he will become more than an adequate starter in this league. If he has already hit his ceiling, then it could be a frustrating process. He is a very good leader and someone that I think a new coach will trust his offense with.

So I'd say 80% Quinn. If it were Detroit in the 1-spot, then I'd say closer to 100%...but I will never bet 100% on any decision Al Davis is about to make. Plus Quinn is exactly the type of QB Martz would want running his offense.

I think both QB's have serious bust capabilities. I know you are going to back your boy but I'm not completely sold on him. Whoever goes to the raiders will likey end up a mental mess because he will be thrown to the lions with little to no regard to his future.

Well i've seen Russell play his entire career in person, and i've seen him make throws that only 2-3 NFL QB's can make. Definitely the most talented QB I have ever seen, and probably will see for a while. He always had a rocket arm (threw a ball 95 yards in the air while on his knees last offseason), and he will have the strongest arm in the NFL once he gets drafted, but one thing that he improved this season was his accuracy. Not to mention that he's a lean 6'6 250lb truck.

That said, I really hope the Raiders pass on him and ruin Quinn's career, and Russell goes to Cleveland where he has a chance to be something special.

I'm not a huge JaMarcus Russell fan. I think LSU has had a stacked team for about 4 years and Russell has been a big part of it, but not the deciding factor. I remember LSU absolutely dominating Miami last year in the Peach bowl with Matt Flynn as their QB. This may sound strange, but Russell did not impress me at the Sugar Bowl. I thought he was good, but if his recent stock surge was a result of his performance there, then I think he is a little overrated. He threw lofty passes all night to his WRs who had a minimum 2 step lead on our DBs. He beat up on a terrible defense and still made a few mistakes. If the thought is that he has not approached his ceiling yet, then I can see why he is such a highly touted prospect. I mean, he is an absolute monster. But I think whoever takes him will need to be very patient...not one of Al Davis' known virtues.

That being said, Oakland must take a QB and I think the Raiders should take Quinn. I'm not sure if he is #1 overall material, but adding another WR (CJ) would be futile unless they make a move to pick up a real veteran QB (Garcia?). Passing over Leinart last year just turned up the pressure to avoid making a similar mistake (assuming Leinart turns out). Quinn potentially is the type of player you could build a franchise around. He is smart, tough and has better throwing tools than any other QB in this draft. If he continues to progress, then he will become more than an adequate starter in this league. If he has already hit his ceiling, then it could be a frustrating process. He is a very good leader and someone that I think a new coach will trust his offense with.

So I'd say 80% Quinn. If it were Detroit in the 1-spot, then I'd say closer to 100%...but I will never bet 100% on any decision Al Davis is about to make. Plus Quinn is exactly the type of QB Martz would want running his offense.

Well i've seen Russell play his entire career in person, and i've seen him make throws that only 2-3 NFL QB's can make. Definitely the most talented QB I have ever seen, and probably will see for a while. He always had a rocket arm (threw a ball 95 yards in the air while on his knees last offseason), and he will have the strongest arm in the NFL once he gets drafted, but one thing that he improved this season was his accuracy. Not to mention that he's a lean 6'6 250lb truck.

That said, I really hope the Raiders pass on him and ruin Quinn's career, and Russell goes to Cleveland where he has a chance to be something special.

Yeah. I do think his accuracy has improved quite a bit. I don't think he's quite as accurate a passer that Vince Young is yet, but he's a lot better than he was, plus his decision making (a problem in many of the "big games" he "choked" in previously) has improved tremendously. I hope he does well in the NFL.

I don't recalling seeing him play except against ND last month, so I don't have much to go on. But this description sounds like a lot like Dante Culpepper. It's not 'he can make an amazing throw' that counts. It's "he can make the right decision and the common throw 9 times out of 10" that counts. That's why Payton Manning will be a HOFer and Michael Vick won't.

• 2 weeks later...
If I was the GM for Oakland, I'd look to trade down a few spots and hope to land Joe Thomas. Their O line needs a lot of help.

I'm be surprised if arizona didnt make an effort to trade up to grab thomas. Solidifying their line would make them an awfully dangerous team.

That being said....it's Al Davis and Raiders- do people really think he will make that pick? Al...is....Al

If he gets a QB before the draft- Calvin Johnson seems logical.

I am just glad that Marv's announcement yesterday wasn't to announce JP + our #1 to Oakland for their #1.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.