1987 in music.

Tux of Borg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s_in_music

o U2 (The Joshua Tree), R.E.M. (Document), and Midnight Oil (Diesel and Dust) release albums that signify a move back towards politically and socially aware music

o Death's Scream Bloody Gore helps to define the burgeoning death metal scene

o Noise pop emerges with releases from The Jesus and Mary Chain (Darklands) and Yo La Tengo (New Wave Hot Dogs)

o The term world music is first used as a marketing category to describe several dozen kinds of folk music from around the world; the term immediately draws criticism from artists like David Byrne and other critics

o The Gipsy Kings' "Djobi Djoba" and "Bamboleo" mark the commercial emergence of Sevillana, a pop-oriented flamenco music, in Europe

o Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer, from the record selling album Slippery When Wet, becomes the biggest selling song of the year.

o Guns N' Roses releases Appetite for Destruction and dominate the American music scene for the year with an arena rock and thrash metal-influenced sound; in Europe, Celtic Frost's (Into the Pandemonium) influence and sales peak

o Ian MacKaye's Embrace LP Embrace and Rites of Spring's EP All Through a Life are said to be the beginning of emo music, based around MacKaye's Washington DC label, Dischord Records

o Guy's Guy is often considered the beginning of New Jack Swing

o Los Lobos' "La Bamba" and Linda Ronstadt's Canciones de Mi Padre surprise success revitalizes Mexican-Texan music

o Whitney Houston's sophomore album Whitney keeps her career full-speed. It becomes the first female album (and only 5th album ever) to debut at #1, and contains 4 number one singles.

I graduated HS in 1987- good times! Lets not forget Husker Du, Metallica, Slayer, COC, DRI, Stormtroopers of Death, Billy Squier, Dead Milkmen, Suicidal Tendencies, Black Flag, Living Color, Robert Cray, Paul Simon, Bad Brains, Replacements, Prince, Iron Maiden, Rainbow, Scorpions, Peter Gabriel..........give me a while I will think up some more great music from 1987

I graduated HS in 1987- good times! Lets not forget Husker Du, Metallica, Slayer, COC, DRI, Stormtroopers of Death, Billy Squier, Dead Milkmen, Suicidal Tendencies, Black Flag, Living Color, Robert Cray, Paul Simon, Bad Brains, Replacements, Prince, Iron Maiden, Rainbow, Scorpions, Peter Gabriel..........give me a while I will think up some more great music from 1987

Bolds for all the ones that got me especially excited. Also, I got to work on Paul Simon's last record. What a talent that guy is, if ridiculously quiet and within himself. Still, great musician and he knows how to get the very best out of everyone he works with. And Steve Gadd, his drummer for the last few decades, man responsible for that signature sound in '50 Ways,' is awesome.

When people say 'the 80s sucked,' they aren't really thinking about it, at least in terms of music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s_in_music

o U2 (The Joshua Tree), R.E.M. (Document), and Midnight Oil (Diesel and Dust) release albums that signify a move back towards politically and socially aware music

Not only that. With R.E.M. in particular it meant that a sound that appealed to a small group of college kids could grow to become something more universally viable.

o Noise pop emerges with releases from The Jesus and Mary Chain (Darklands) and Yo La Tengo (New Wave Hot Dogs)

Certainly two great bands. One's best work was already behind them (J&MC's Psychocandy is the one to own). Yo La Tengo's best record wouldn't come for another ten years (I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One must be one of my favorite albums of all-time, and one of the last great top-to-bottom albums --I'd put 97's OK Computer and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea as others in that category).

o The term world music is first used as a marketing category to describe several dozen kinds of folk music from around the world; the term immediately draws criticism from artists like David Byrne and other critics

What a stupid, stupid term that was only useful for people selling things. It's akin to thinking of Africa as a country when it's really such a rich tapestry of culture and geography. Further proof that we see things with our own eyes only and that this kind of negotiation is always a problem. Like Fela Kuti has the first thing to do with Ali Farka Toure or Ravi Shankar, other than that they're 'different.' What a supremely retarded worldview.

o Ian MacKaye's Embrace LP Embrace and Rites of Spring's EP All Through a Life are said to be the beginning of emo music, based around MacKaye's Washington DC label, Dischord Records

A huge influence for me. The funnier thing is that that brand of 'emo' music has NOTHING to do with what's being put out under that brand now. What McKaye and co. profferred was an emotional response to the personal and the political that begged a reorganization of the way one sees the world and one's place in it. It was not about hoping the girl whose locker was next to yours would finally ask you out.

What a fascinating post, though. Thanks for putting it up.

Bolds for all the ones that got me especially excited. Also, I got to work on Paul Simon's last record. What a talent that guy is, if ridiculously quiet and within himself. Still, great musician and he knows how to get the very best out of everyone he works with. And Steve Gadd, his drummer for the last few decades, man responsible for that signature sound in '50 Ways,' is awesome.

RTDB- you have excellent taste in music! Quite eclectic too, as is mine. Thats cool you work in the field. What are you listening to as far as newer stuff? The newest stuff for me which gets heavy airplay is Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Sublime(amazing band IMO), White Stripes- Jack White knows the blues! Great White Stripes cover of John the Revelator. The Shins are cool. I like Franz Ferdinand too. Always looking for good recomendations. BTW Jesus and Mary Chain rocks- I saw them at Yale in an old church about 15 years ago- great show!

http://www.hotpopsongs.com/Music/Billboard/1987.html

1987 Billboard's Top 20 Songs & Artist

# 1 Faith - George Michael

# 2 Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi

# 3 Alone - Heart

# 4 With Or Without You - U2

# 5 La Bamba - Los Lobos

# 6 I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) - Whitney Houston

# 7 Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Starship

# 8 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2

# 9 Didn't We Almost Have It All - Whitney Houston

# 10 I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) - Aretha Franklin & George Michael

# 11 At This Moment - Billy Vera & The Beaters

# 12 I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany

# 13 (I Just) Died In Your Arms - Cutting Crew

# 14 Lean On Me - Club Nouveau

# 15 Bad - Michael Jackson

# 16 Shake You Down - Gregory Abbott

# 17 Here I Go Again - Whitesnake

# 18 Always - Atlantic Starr

# 19 Head To Toe - Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam

# 20 Shakedown - Bob Seger

Class of '87 here also. Christ, has it been that long already...

Pink Floyd- Momentary Lapse of Reason. Saw them 2nights in a row at the CNE Stadium in Toronto. The ticket was $25 dollars.

not a fan of Rage Against the Machine, but seeing as how you brought it up, I just read that they are getting back together to perform in some 3 day music festival in California...just FYI

RTDB- you have excellent taste in music! Quite eclectic too, as is mine. Thats cool you work in the field. What are you listening to as far as newer stuff? The newest stuff for me which gets heavy airplay is Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Sublime(amazing band IMO), White Stripes- Jack White knows the blues! Great White Stripes cover of John the Revelator. The Shins are cool. I like Franz Ferdinand too. Always looking for good recomendations. BTW Jesus and Mary Chain rocks- I saw them at Yale in an old church about 15 years ago- great show!

I believe Dino Jr. released the brilliant You're living all over me LP in '87. There's a ton of other stuff that came out around that time, but any decent list'll have to wait until I can get home and dig through the stacks.

one of my favorite bands! Where You Been is my favorite. J Rips!

Another Class of '87 person here. My 20 year HS reunion is in October.

IMO, The Joshua Tree is the best album of the '80s. Nothing else is even close, except for maybe Paul Simon's Graceland (RTDB, is that the album you worked on?).

My tastes were a little more "poppy" than many of those on this board. I was really into Chicago at that time (Chicago 18, the first album with Jason Scheff as lead singer, went gold in '87. Scheff's been lead singer longer than Peter Cetera was).

Also, and you can make fun of me all you want, I was into Stryper then. "To Hell With The Devil" went double platinum in '87, and "Honestly" was a Top 30 power ballad for the boys in Yellow and Black.

Whitesnake and Bon Jovi made hair bands big starting in 1987.

All in all, it may not have been the best time in music...but it was a LOT of fun.

You graduated in 1987? Hahahaha!!!! You're old!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_in_music

[edit] Bands Formed

Alice in Chains

Danzig

Fugazi

Gin Blossoms

Jane's Addiction

Mr. Big

Nirvana

Paul Oakenfold's career begins

Poster Children

Public Enemy

Tori Amos' career begins

X Japan

[edit] Bands Disbanded

Hüsker Dü

The Smiths

Wham!

Zebra

[edit] Albums released

In alphabetical order by artist/band -

Compilation - Accept

Into the Fire - Bryan Adams

Classics Live II - Aerosmith

Permanent Vacation - Aerosmith

Among The Living - Anthrax

I'm The Man EP - Anthrax

Strength of Steel - Anvil

Jackomo - Little Annie Anxiety Bandez

Raising Fear - Armored Saint

Eternal Idol - Black Sabbath

Career of Evil: The Metal Years - Blue Öyster Cult

Terror Rising EP - Lizzy Borden

Visual Lies - Lizzy Borden

Never Let Me Down - David Bowie

Touch - Laura Branigan

Locust Abortion Technician - Butthole Surfers

Speed Metal Symphony - Cacophony

Heaven on Earth - Belinda Carlisle

Secrets Of Synthesis - Wendy Carlos

King's Record Shop - Rosanne Cash

Raise Your Fist and Yell - Alice Cooper

Best Before 1984 - Crass

Electric - The Cult

Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me - The Cure

The Best Of Dalida, Vol. 2 - Dalida (compilation)

Scream Bloody Gore - Death (debut)

Hysteria - Def Leppard

Music for the Masses - Depeche Mode

You're Living All Over Me - Dinosaur Jr.

Dream Evil - Dio

Back For the Attack - Dokken

Silence - Stephan Eicher

The Blanton-Webster Years - Duke Ellington

Menjaring Matahari - Ebiet G. Ade

The Circus - Erasure

Paid in Full - Eric B. & Rakim

White Fields - The Escape Club (debut)

Death Before Dishonour - The Exploited

Exposure - Exposé

Introduce Yourself - Faith No More

Faster Pussycat - Faster Pussycat

Bombay City - Remo Fernandez

One Night Stand - Flamin' Groovies

Tango in the Night - Fleetwood Mac

Frehley's Comet - Frehley's Comet

Official Version - Front 242

Funhouse - Funhouse

Tallulah - The Go-Betweens

In The Dark - Grateful Dead

Once Bitten... - Great White

Rock You To Hell - Grim Reaper (final album)

2X4 - Guadalcanal Diary

Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses (debut)

I Never Said Goodbye - Sammy Hagar

Music to Strip By - Half Japanese

Bad Animals - Heart

Wild In The Streets - Helix

Bring the Family - John Hiatt

Get Close To My Love - Jennifer Holliday

Warehouse: Songs and Stories - Hüsker Dü (final album)

Rhyme Pays - Ice-T (debut)

A More Perfect Union - Icon

Kick - INXS

Bad - Michael Jackson

Jane's Addiction - Jane's Addiction

Crest of a Knave - Jethro Tull

Priest... Live! - Judas Priest

1987 (What the !@#$ Is Going On?) - The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu. Subsequently destroyed after copyright infringement claim.

Akwaba Beach - Mory Kanté

Keel - Keel

Abigail - King Diamond

Crazy Nights - KISS

Too Late To Cry - Alison Krauss

Shaka Zulu - Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Trio - Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton

Running in the Family - Level 42

Bigger and Deffer - LL Cool J

By the Light of the Moon - Los Lobos

Ready or Not - solo debut album of Foreigner lead vocalist Lou Gramm

Hurricane Eyes - Loudness

Diminuendo - Lowlife

Lubricated Goat Plays the Devil's Music (debut) - Lubricated Goat

Immaculate Deception - Ludichrist

You Can Dance - Madonna

Strange Weather - Marianne Faithfull

Clutching at Straws - Marillion

Deathcrush - Mayhem

Perfect Timing - McAuley-Schenker Group (first release after Robin McAuley joined and they changed their name)

Huevos - Meat Puppets

Gluey Porch Treatments - The Melvins

(The $5.98 EP) Garage Days Re-Revisited - Metallica

Faith - George Michael

Diesel and Dust - Midnight Oil

Go On... - Mr. Mister

Stereoland - The Modern Art

Pool It! - The Monkees

Poetic Champions Compose - Van Morrison

Girls, Girls, Girls - Mötley Crüe

Rock 'n' Roll - Motörhead

Escape From Noise - Negativland

Substance - New Order

Tritonian Nash-Vegas Polyester Complex - No Trend

Dirty Dancing - Original Soundtrack

In Dreams: The Greatest Hits - Roy Orbison

Tribute - Ozzy Osbourne

Taking Over - Overkill

Power Metal - Pantera

Trio (album) - Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt

Signs of Life - Penguin Cafe Orchestra

Actually - Pet Shop Boys

Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Pink Floyd

Come On Pilgrim - Pixies (debut)

Buster Poindexter - Buster Poindexter

Sign 'O' The Times - Prince

Yo! Bum Rush the Show - Public Enemy

Right Now! - kitty Galore

Halfway to Sanity - The Ramones

Document - R.E.M.

Pleased to Meet Me - The Replacements

The Cowboy Way (album) - Riders in the Sky

Saddle Pals - Riders in the Sky

Best of the West - Riders in the Sky

Kane Roberts - Kane Roberts (former Alice Cooper guitarist's solo debut)

I Prefer The Moonlight - Kenny Rogers

Stinkfist - Clint Ruin and Lydia Lunch

Hold Your Fire - Rush

Surfing With the Alien - Joe Satriani

Hall of the Mountain King - Savatage

The Walking - Jane Siberry

Coming Around Again - Carly Simon

Floodland - The Sisters of Mercy

Cleanse Fold and Manipulate - Skinny Puppy

The World Won't Listen - The Smiths (February, compilation)

Louder than Bombs - The Smiths (March (U.S.)/May (U.K.), compilation)

Strangeways, Here We Come - The Smiths (September, final studio album)

The Perfect Prescription - Spaceman 3

Sister - Sonic Youth

Join the Army - Suicidal Tendencies

Tunnel of Love - Bruce Springsteen

Brenda K. Starr - Brenda K. Starr

...Nothing Like the Sun - Sting

All Systems Go - Donna Summer

It's Better To Travel - Swing Out Sister

Make It Last Forever - Keith Sweat

In My Tribe - 10,000 Maniacs

The Legacy - Testament (debut)

New Again - TexAns

Tiffany - Tiffany

Introducing the Hardline According to... - Terence Trent D'Arby

Bridge of Spies - T'Pau

Always & Forever - Randy Travis

Love Is for Suckers - Twisted Sister (final album)

The Joshua Tree - U2

To the Power of Three - 3

Calm Before The Storm - Venom

Live...In the Raw - W.A.S.P.

Live...Animal EP W.A.S.P.

Triumph And Agony - Warlock (final album)

Radio K.A.O.S. - Roger Waters

Whitecross - Whitecross

Pride - White Lion (2nd album, major label (Atlantic Records) debut)

Whitesnake - Whitesnake

Characters - Stevie Wonder

Starting Up - Roy Wood

Contagious - Y&T

Out of Silence - Yanni

3.V - Zebra

Tattooed Beat Messiah - Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction

Hey, I think all girls around our age wanted that album! :lol:

That was before we knew George Michael was gay. :(

Interestingly, Denis Leary had a great line about that. He said after watching George Michael dance around in the first 15 seconds of the "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" video, we should have figured out he was gay then. :thumbsup: