What would you think if Addai had been stopped?

And the Colts kicked a FG. No throws from Peyton with the season on the line? I know they wanted to run some clock, and I surely would have run on first down. But the clock didn't really matter on 3rd down. It was pretty ballsy to run right up the middle even though it obviously was a great call because it worked. It would have been a hideous call if he were stuffed.

And the Colts kicked a FG. No throws from Peyton with the season on the line? I know they wanted to run some clock, and I surely would have run on first down. But the clock didn't really matter on 3rd down. It was pretty ballsy to run right up the middle even though it obviously was a great call because it worked. It would have been a hideous call if he were stuffed.

I agree. I was screaming for a pass and said a run would be next to giving up and playing for over time. Right then, Addai runs right in and scores. I quickly got quiet, and said... well, that's why I'm not an NFL coach.

But, you're right. If he's stuffed. Then what... you have to kick the fieldgoal.

I wouldn't have had a problem with it because at that point down by 3 they didn't need to take any chances with tipped balls, blindside fumbles, etc. and also because at least they spread the field that time. Earlier they tried to jam it up in there on goal-to-go with about 19 guys within 5 yards from the ball. That I didn't care for.

He wasn't and that's all that matters. Game, set and match. Bye-bye NE.

There would have been some serious second guessing if that had happened.

I wouldn't have had a problem with it because at that point down by 3 they didn't need to take any chances with tipped balls, blindside fumbles, etc. and also because at least they spread the field that time. Earlier they tried to jam it up in there on goal-to-go with about 19 guys within 5 yards from the ball. That I didn't care for.

They just fumbled at the one a couple series earlier on a run. And the Patriots fumbled near the goal line earlier in the game on a run.

Throwing the ball does seem like a no-brainer if you don't plan on going for it.

I personally would've ran it twice, but I doubt Dungy was thinking the same way.

Now that would be some horrendous sized balls to run it again on 4th down. No way I could do that. I liked the run on 1st and 2nd down, but then I'd have faked and passed on 3rd. And kicked the FG, if it came to a 4th down. But, again, maybe that's why I'm not a coach.

They just fumbled at the one a couple series earlier on a run. And the Patriots fumbled near the goal line earlier in the game on a run.

I think that's irrelevant because it doesn't increase the chances of it happening again.

And the chances of it happening again are significantly lower than the chances of a tipped or deflected ball ending up in the wrong place.

Now that would be some horrendous sized balls to run it again on 4th down. No way I could do that. I liked the run on 1st and 2nd down, but then I'd have faked and passed on 3rd. And kicked the FG, if it came to a 4th down. But, again, maybe that's why I'm not a coach.

I think that's a perfect example of why it's a great call if it works and it's a terrible call when it doesn't, like using trick plays. That's not always true, but true enough of the time. It was a great call to run on 2nd and 3rd if it worked. It would have been a terrible call if he got stuffed.

Dungy played it right... Run down the clock! Why give TB's kicker a try to win it for him... Passes can fall incomplete and stop the clock... This way if you don't get it in... There is no time for a Pat game winning FG...

I almost thought that maybe BB and the Pats may have conceded the TD... Sounds crazy though...

Dungy played it right... Run down the clock! Why give TB's kicker a try to win it for him... Passes can fall incomplete and stop the clock... This way if you don't get it in... There is no time for a Pat game winning FG...

I almost thought that maybe BB and the Pats may have conceded the TD... Sounds crazy though...

I meant the 3rd down call. The clock really didn't matter because the Pats had a TO left and surely they would have used it then.

That happened in the Super Bowl nine years ago when the Packers conceded the TD to the Broncos...remember?

I was rooting wholeheartedly for the Packers and never forgave Mike Holmgren for that.

I think that's a perfect example of why it's a great call if it works and it's a terrible call when it doesn't, like using trick plays. That's not always true, but true enough of the time. It was a great call to run on 2nd and 3rd if it worked. It would have been a terrible call if he got stuffed.

Exactly right. It worked, so it was a great call. But if Addai gets stuffed, Dungy is forever second guessed for taking the ball out of Peyton's hand with the game on the line.

But, then again, maybe it worked so well because the Pats were thinking the same thing. No way they hand off again. Definitely a chess match!

That happened in the Super Bowl nine years ago when the Packers conceded the TD to the Broncos...remember?

I was rooting wholeheartedly for the Packers and never forgave Mike Holmgren for that.

Different situation as GB had no time-outs left. Giving up the score was the only way Holmgren could get his hands back on the ball in a game he was about to be trailing.

He had two choices:

a) down 7 with 1:00 left on the clock

b) down 3 with 0:00 left on the clock

Yes, and the Pats would have had one less timeout left when they got the ball back (than if a pass had gone incomplete). I like the call, even if it hadn't worked.

I meant the 3rd down call. The clock really didn't matter because the Pats had a TO left and surely they would have used it then.

Yes, and the Pats would have had one less timeout left when they got the ball back (than if a pass had gone incomplete). I like the call, even if it hadn't worked.

1 timeout or 2 timeouts, not a huge difference when you have 1:00 and only need a FG to win.

I was hoping 100 percent for a run. It seemed pretty obvious the Pats were looking for the pass. It think they were dropping enough people back that they would have had the endzone covered. The Colts only needed two yards (I believe) for a first down; he didn't have to get in the endzone. An incomplete pass would have given Brady too much time. It was the right call, IMHO. The fact that they were able to make that call and be succesful is what sets this Indy team from those of the last several years.

Nothing is 100% in football. All of the plays have calculated risks, and there is an element of guess work. In order to make the great call you need to have the sack to face the consequences if a call doesn't work.

Even the mighty Belichik said that running on 3rd and 10 (for 5 yards) at the 30 on their 2nd to last drive "seemed like the right call at that time". Maybe they would have gotten the 1st with a pass, or maybe if it was incomplete or a sack, they would've missed the field goal had it been 5-10 yards longer. He took the conservative play for improving his odds to take the lead 34-31. But BB also went for those 2 4th downs in the 1st which were huge at that time.

If you have the sack to take the risk, you can improve the odds of your team winning. The key is when/how to take those risks. I remember Meathead taking all kinds of crazy risks at odd times that never worked----idiot. BB they usually work, and are at the right times----he's a great coach.

The colts tried to run for a 3rd and 5 and settled for a FG around the middle of the 4th to tie at 31 I think----was that a bad call??? I don't think so. The pats were just ready for that one. At the goal line they weren't. 50/50.

This was a phenomenal game with back and forth big calls starting in the middle 3rd quarter. One play could have swung the whole thing either way. I am elated that NE lost, and for Mannings sake a chance to get people to STFU and let him be the great player he is.