Comparing Four DT's head to head

Astrobot

Alan Branch, Michigan - 6-6, 311, 5.25, 9 sacks, 61 tackles in 37 Games (1.64 Per Game). 18 Tackles for Loss. Junior.

Amobi Okoye, Louisville - 6-1, 317, 5.15, 10.5 sacks, 121 tackles in 48 Games (2.54 per game). 23 Tackles for Loss. Senior.

"Tank" Tyler, N.C. State - 6-2, 305, 5.30, 5 sacks, 136 tackles in 48 Games (2.83 per game). 19 Tackles for Loss. Senior.

Quinn Pitcock, Ohio State - 6-3, 295, 5.05, 14 sacks, 133 tackles in 49 Games (2.71 per game). 27.5 Tackles for Loss. Senior.

Rating=Branch

Beef=Okoye

Speed=Pitcock

Height=Branch

Sacks=Pitcock

Tackles=Tyler

For Loss=Pitcock

Alan Branch

--->STRENGTHS: size, John Henderson type, solid, unstoppable at times, stuffs the run, disrupts plays

--->WEAKNESSES: maxed out frame

Amobi Okoye

--->STRENGTHS: strong vs. run, good push, pocket collapser, instincts, smarts, potential

--->WEAKNESSES: leverage, closing speed, pass rush moves, stamina, consistency

"Tank" Tyler

--->STRENGTHS: quickness, strong, powerful, penetrator, pursuer

--->WEAKNESSES: fatigue, tends to get out of shape, leverage, use of hands, work ethic, intelligence

Quinn Pitcock

--->STRENGTHS: strength, hustle, run-stopper, tackler, sacks, mobile, quick, technically sound, tough

--->WEAKNESSES: maxed out frame, short arms, stiff, durability?

Branch and Pitcock rise to the top here. Some drafts have us taking Branch. I'd be surprised if he was still around at #12.

Alan Branch, Michigan - 6-6, 311, 5.25, 9 sacks, 61 tackles in 37 Games (1.64 Per Game). 18 Tackles for Loss. Junior.

Amobi Okoye, Louisville - 6-1, 317, 5.15, 10.5 sacks, 121 tackles in 48 Games (2.54 per game). 23 Tackles for Loss. Senior.

"Tank" Tyler, N.C. State - 6-2, 305, 5.30, 5 sacks, 136 tackles in 48 Games (2.83 per game). 19 Tackles for Loss. Senior.

Quinn Pitcock, Ohio State - 6-3, 295, 5.05, 14 sacks, 133 tackles in 49 Games (2.71 per game). 27.5 Tackles for Loss. Senior.

Rating=Branch

Beef=Okoye

Speed=Pitcock

Height=Branch

Sacks=Pitcock

Tackles=Tyler

For Loss=Pitcock

Alan Branch

--->STRENGTHS: size, John Henderson type, solid, unstoppable at times, stuffs the run, disrupts plays

--->WEAKNESSES: maxed out frame

Amobi Okoye

--->STRENGTHS: strong vs. run, good push, pocket collapser, instincts, smarts, potential

--->WEAKNESSES: leverage, closing speed, pass rush moves, stamina, consistency

"Tank" Tyler

--->STRENGTHS: quickness, strong, powerful, penetrator, pursuer

--->WEAKNESSES: fatigue, tends to get out of shape, leverage, use of hands, work ethic, intelligence

Quinn Pitcock

--->STRENGTHS: strength, hustle, run-stopper, tackler, sacks, mobile, quick, technically sound, tough

--->WEAKNESSES: maxed out frame, short arms, stiff, durability?

Branch and Pitcock rise to the top here. Some drafts have us taking Branch. I'd be surprised if he was still around at #12.

Branch will be long gone by #12...He's Prototype...Pitcock would fit right in on the Bills D-Line because he's undersized and should get pushed around easily in the NFL... :D

Branch will be long gone by #12...He's Prototype...Pitcock would fit right in on the Bills D-Line because he's undersized and should get pushed around easily in the NFL... :D

and lord knows we did great with the last Ohio State DT we drafted :D . Not to mention I also thought Kenny Peterson be a great DT too (ironically he was drafted with the Packers in a pick they acquired from us) Granted we did pursue another one in the form of Ryan Pickett in free agency so categorise all DTs from Ohio State as busts is a little unfair. Personally I think we need to find a starting NT as think Kyle Williams showed to be a very capable guy in the depth role. To me we're better off considering an experienced free agent like an Ian Scott or Alvin McKinley are on the top of my list as much rather see use our day one picks to shore up a MLB (if London not or another starting capable free agent signed), a starting OG and starting WR.

In terms of comparing them to said rookies here are some blurbs from their respective predraft CNNSI draft bios:

IAN SCOTT | DT |School: Florida |SEC

Selected by Chicago Bears Round 4, pick 19 (116 overall)

Ht., Wt.: 40 Time: Grade:

6'2½, 312 5.14 3.56

BIO: Junior entry and Two-year starter, both an All-SEC and All-Academic selections his senior and junior campaigns. Totaled 57 tackles, six tackles for loss and one sack last season after 49-10.5-2.5 the prior year.

POSITIVES: Hard working, interior prospect known as a high character individual. Quick off the snap, keeps his pad level low and gets leverage on opponents. Drives up the field, wedges between blocks and displays a burst of closing speed. Gives top effort and always working to make positive plays.

NEGATIVES: Lacks a fluid change of direction, best in a straight line and not effective laterally. Easily knocked off balance or engulfed by opponents.

ANALYSIS: Coming off a solid but not spectacular junior campaign and was a bit disappointing based off his play of 2001. Needed to stay in college one more season.

PROJECTION: Mid Fourth Round

Alvin McKinley | DT | Mississippi St. | SEC

Selected by Carolina Panthers in round 4, pick 25 (#120 overall)

Ht Wt 40 BP SS LS VJ BJ Grade

6'4" 290 5.06 22 4.62 - 27.5 8'6" 4.29

JuCo transfer. Was a backup in '98. Started at nose tackle in '99. An intriguing specimen with very long arms. Thin-legged. Not muscular or strong. Inconsistent off the ball. Shows good quickness at times. Extends his arms well, but tends to raise himself too high. Needs to protect his legs better and do a better job of moving his feet on contact. Gets knocked to the ground too much. Has a burst down the line. Raw pass rusher. Uses his hands well but lacks explosive power. A little stiff. Not a good leaper. Developmental-type candidate.

big thing missing from above: Okoye is only 19, he has more time to develop before he heads downhill in his career --> more potential IMO

Do we want potential or polish (note that's not capitalized so I am not conveying we take a LB from PSU). To me the Bills are a few players away from becoming a playoff type team and that's why rather see us shore up some positions in free agency then through the draft.

some of those stats are a little misleading, Pitcock got a lot of playing time over 4 years, and his sack numbers are less than average, Branch, not nearly as much and his numbers are average. Okoye got little playing time, as he was part of a rotation, early in his career. and Tyler had 3 first round picks as teamates. I like tyler, but he has Off the field issues, I am hopeful he falls into the 2nd round. another DT I like, that would fit into the 3 is Marcus Thomas out of Florida, he was kicked off the team for weed. but he's a good person, just like ron mexico.

Okoye's age alone is very worrisome, 19 years old? I sure as hell hope he is coachable and doesn't have the Kobe like approach to his game.

probablynot since he graduated high school at 15 and then about to graduate college at this moment, so he is probably more eloquent and refined then say a Kobe Bryant