A bigger, longer #2 WR for the Bills

Simon

Every time I see a discussion about WR's it always seems to involve the Bills need for and how they will go about getting that #2 wide-out who might be a bigger threat in the redzone or can dictate mismatches against smaller corners. I have my doubts whether teh Bills are even interested in such a player.

As far as I know Fairchild cut his teeth working with the Rams offense. Can anybody name the the last big possession receiver the Rams utilized in their offense? They've been running with speedy guys who run tight routes ala Bruce, Holt, Hakim, Proehl, etc for years now. And with the leagues new emphasis on not allowing DB's to play football, those smaller faster receivers (SSmith, Marvin, Galloway, SMoss, DDriver, etc) are now much freer to shake loose than they have ever been before.

With the Bills O-coordinator having shown no predilection for bigger taller receivers in his previous gig and the NFL rules giving more advantages to smaller quicker receivers, I would expect teh Bills to continue their ongoing interest in guys who are quicker as opposed to guys who are longer <insert size doesn't matter joke here>.

Every time I see a discussion about WR's it always seems to involve the Bills need for and how they will go about getting that #2 wide-out who might be a bigger threat in the redzone or can dictate mismatches against smaller corners. I have my doubts whether teh Bills are even interested in such a player.

As far as I know Fairchild cut his teeth working with the Rams offense. Can anybody name the the last big possession receiver the Rams utilized in their offense? They've been running with speedy guys who run tight routes ala Bruce, Holt, Hakim, Proehl, etc for years now. And with the leagues new emphasis on not allowing DB's to play football, those smaller faster receivers (SSmith, Marvin, Galloway, SMoss, DDriver, etc) are now much freer to shake loose than they have ever been before.

With the Bills O-coordinator having shown no predilection for bigger taller receivers in his previous gig and the NFL rules giving more advantages to smaller quicker receivers, I would expect teh Bills to continue their ongoing interest in guys who are quicker as opposed to guys who are longer <insert size doesn't matter joke here>.

I was a proponent of the larger Red Zone threat but I'm not nearly as concerned with it after watching JP in the RZ this year. What I would like to see is possibly bringing in a Vet who can fill in as a possession WR. He doesn't exactly have to be Shawn Bradley, but a good underneath WR with seasoned route running would help out a lot on 3rd down. Issac Bruce seemed to fit that role when Holt came into his own. Moulds seemed to fit the role with us before he left for Houston. We need to get better on 3rd down, and we should by bringing in that Vet and improving our run blocking.

What I would like to see is possibly bringing in a Vet who can fill in as a possession WR. He doesn't exactly have to be Shawn Bradley, but a good underneath WR with seasoned route running would help out a lot on 3rd down.....We need to get better on 3rd down, and we should by bringing in that Vet and improving our run blocking.

The Bills may feel they already have that guy in Josh Reed.

And the signing of Price may have been a misguided attempt to find that Isaac Bruce type of player to run across from Evans/Holt.

If the Bills do go looking for another WR, I'm inclined to think they're going to be looking for another speedy starter like Bruce instead of the blocking/possession receiver that they already feel they have.

The Bills may feel they already have that guy in Josh Reed.

And the signing of Price may have been a misguided attempt to find that Isaac Bruce type of player to run across from Evans/Holt.

If the Bills do go looking for another WR, I'm inclined to think they're going to be looking for another speedy starter like Bruce instead of the blocking/possession receiver that they already feel they have.

I don't think Reed is polished enough to be that guy. I just don't put him in that class in terms of route running, or being refined like a sound vet. Then again I just looked at what’s available and I can't say I can find a player I'm talking about. Not one Bill Brooks in the group.

A lot of the 3rd down issues also seemed to come from a lacking ground game. We just need to improve on 3rd down, especially if we have playoff aspirations.

Am I confused or was I dreaming that Royal played well this year?

And Peerless played his lil' heart out too... If we wanted a height reciever we would've kept Martin Nance.

Royal is a nice player but more and more teams are using 2 te systems these days. 2 te's lead to very productive redzone offenses. It's worked for ne/indy/the chiefs/sd etc etc for the past few years. As a decent player as roayl is another pure receiving te would do wonders especially for the redzone offense forcing teams to stay honest against the run and pass. It allows you to do much more with your run game as well.

The speed wr's Fairchild had with the Rams fit a dome team perfectly. Playing outdoors changes the offense a little.

A big possession receiver to move the chains and go over the middle would help open up the deep ball but that is pretty far down on my wish list. We have other holes to address first.

The speed wr's Fairchild had with the Rams fit a dome team perfectly. Playing outdoors changes the offense a little.

That's a very good point. It's definitely a little bit tougher to be goin' down the field feelin' good when The Hawk is ahowlin'. ;)

Am I confused or was I dreaming that Royal played well this year?

I'm not trying to be a prick but is this based on something other than like 2-3 plays in the December Jets/Dolphins games?

I remember Lonnie Johnson torching the Jets when Todd Collins was here and he said after the game: "every dog has his day". That's about how I feel about Royal.

I'm not trying to be a prick but is this based on something other than like 2-3 plays in the December Jets/Dolphins games?

I remember Lonnie Johnson torching the Jets when Todd Collins was here and he said after the game: "every dog has his day". That's about how I feel about Royal.

September - 3 games

TOTAL 3 37 12.3 20 0

October- 4 games

TOTAL 6 57 9.5 21 0

November- 4 games

TOTAL 5 28 5.6 9 0

December- 5 games

TOTAL 9 111 12.3 33 3

Definitely not premiere numbers but compared to what we've had at te lately I think Royal is better then them. I'd much prefer to go to a 2 te set offense, with a more reliable receiving te but royal played well at the end of the year considering the type of player he is.

Royal was actually one of the best free agent signings by the Bills in YEARS, IMO. He did a lot of subtle things to help this team, including providing some veteran leadership on a young offense, solid blocking, physicality, etc. He would be an amazing #2TE. What they really need is another TE who can really run and move LBs and safeties around to open up the rest of the passing game.

Sign Daniel Graham for a very solid two TE set (and they both are good blockers!) complimented by our 4 reciever smurf-set :bag: outside the red zone. I personally will be very happy if we did this and sign one free agent and draft one Olineman for the offense.

Oh they mean we need someone opposite Royal... ok THAT would make sense seeming as how Everett is a joke and Cieslak is too raw.

Has Everett really gotten a chance? I want to see him play more and get some opportunities. This new staff has been pretty high on him, I think (DJ is always saying how he's coming along and last season was really his rookie year, because of his injury).