A bigger, longer #2 WR for the Bills

Simon

Every time I see a discussion about WR's it always seems to involve the Bills need for and how they will go about getting that #2 wide-out who might be a bigger threat in the redzone or can dictate mismatches against smaller corners. I have my doubts whether teh Bills are even interested in such a player.

As far as I know Fairchild cut his teeth working with the Rams offense. Can anybody name the the last big possession receiver the Rams utilized in their offense? They've been running with speedy guys who run tight routes ala Bruce, Holt, Hakim, Proehl, etc for years now. And with the leagues new emphasis on not allowing DB's to play football, those smaller faster receivers (SSmith, Marvin, Galloway, SMoss, DDriver, etc) are now much freer to shake loose than they have ever been before.

With the Bills O-coordinator having shown no predilection for bigger taller receivers in his previous gig and the NFL rules giving more advantages to smaller quicker receivers, I would expect teh Bills to continue their ongoing interest in guys who are quicker as opposed to guys who are longer <insert size doesn't matter joke here>.

I dont think your argument holds water because of the difference in what type of place Fairchild is in. In St. Louis, that offense was known as the greatest show on turf, and used many fast players in their offensive scheme which could take advantage of playing in a dome and artificial turf. Of course Fairchild wouldnt need a big, posession type receiver in St Louis, there was no call for it. Buffalo is different. We arent allowed to run that type of speed system for the majority of games throughout the year. Having the cold weather and playing outdoors requires us to have posession receivers. I dont think you can compare the two places.

The Bills may feel they already have that guy in Josh Reed.

And the signing of Price may have been a misguided attempt to find that Isaac Bruce type of player to run across from Evans/Holt.

If the Bills do go looking for another WR, I'm inclined to think they're going to be looking for another speedy starter like Bruce instead of the blocking/possession receiver that they already feel they have.

I really like what Reed is doing here now, even after his past issues with the dropsies. Still, I don't think he's a #2.

Evans, _______(insert big cocky A-hole type here), Reed and Parrish will do for me.

The Bills would do well to get at any one of these: A fullback that can catch the ball real well, an everydown halfback that can catch the ball real well, or a first rate receiving tight-end. They won't be able to get all of these, but any one of these would make the whole offense alot better. The Red Zone play would really benefit from one of these.

The Bills never really got the screen pass down. I noticed that, early in the year especially, the line really struggled with any plays that demanded timing, they will be better at that this year, and it will keep defense's a little more honest (JP could use some work on leading the runner on a screen pass too).

P.S. They will pick a Junior with their first pick

Every time I see a discussion about WR's it always seems to involve the Bills need for and how they will go about getting that #2 wide-out who might be a bigger threat in the redzone or can dictate mismatches against smaller corners. I have my doubts whether teh Bills are even interested in such a player.

As far as I know Fairchild cut his teeth working with the Rams offense. Can anybody name the the last big possession receiver the Rams utilized in their offense? They've been running with speedy guys who run tight routes ala Bruce, Holt, Hakim, Proehl, etc for years now. And with the leagues new emphasis on not allowing DB's to play football, those smaller faster receivers (SSmith, Marvin, Galloway, SMoss, DDriver, etc) are now much freer to shake loose than they have ever been before.

With the Bills O-coordinator having shown no predilection for bigger taller receivers in his previous gig and the NFL rules giving more advantages to smaller quicker receivers, I would expect teh Bills to continue their ongoing interest in guys who are quicker as opposed to guys who are longer <insert size doesn't matter joke here>.

2 words: Maurice Colston

--6-4

- 231 lb

- he's the saints rookie of the year on a team with reggie bush.

- 1038 yards and 8 TDs = same as evans.

- his team went from 3 & 13 to 2nd seed overall and a game away from the superbowl

yessir, we need a tall, physical WR.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8001