Phil Simms made a fool of himself

All game long, he went on and on about the Chargers and how great they were. Just before the Pats got the game tying touchdown he was still talking about how the Chargers defense had been downplayed for years, only getting respect this year, then saying all you have to do is watch them now and you can see that athleticism and determination. Next play - touchdown throw for Brady.

I just wish announcers could stay non-biased. After awhile I was hoping for N. England to take the lead just to get him to stop gushing about the Chargers. Jackaxe...

I don't care how many concussions he had, Troy Aikman is one of the best "color men" now. Compare his work on Fox today with Simms. No contest. Aikman didn't play favorites, just analyzed what was happening based on what he saw in front of him. No ass kissing.

I don't care how many concussions he had, Troy Aikman is one of the best "color men" now. Compare his work on Fox today with Simms. No contest. Aikman didn't play favorites, just analyzed what was happening based on what he saw in front of him. No ass kissing.

I think that Hell could be described as a 24/7 conversation between John Madden and Phil Simms. I did not realize that Simms was so incredibly BAD! He made my ears hurt. :thumbsup:

I agree that Aikman is very good.

I think that Hell could be described as a 24/7 conversation between John Madden and Phil Simms. I did not realize that Simms was so incredibly BAD! He made my ears hurt. :thumbsup:

I agree that Aikman is very good.

Aikman is fantastic. Esiason is also excellent but he does mostly radio.

I don't think it's just Simms, it seems like CBS encourages their color guys to get completely in the corner of whichever team is winning/has the momentum at any given time. Almost every game I watch on CBS is a love fest for Team A until Team B can turn it around, at which point they go on and on about how truly great and underappreciated Team B is and how they just don't got any quit in them.

It's completely ridiculous. I'd bet someone could listen to the local radio broadcasts of both teams, alternating when one team takes the lead from the other, and the only difference they'd notice would be the ads.

Here's a thought....what if they just broadcasted the game?

I think that's been tried before. I can't remember which network did it, but I know there was a football game with no announcers not too long ago. It didn't go well. You need something, no matter how brutal the announcers may be. Besides, what would everybody B word about??

I think that's been tried before. I can't remember which network did it, but I know there was a football game with no announcers not too long ago. It didn't go well. You need something, no matter how brutal the announcers may be. Besides, what would everybody B word about??

Your memory must be failing you. :thumbsup:

The Announcerless Game (Dec. 20, 1980, Jets vs. Dolphins): The Jets were 3-12 and the Dolphins 8-7 entering the final game of the season. With the game carrying no playoff implications, NBC decided to let the sounds from the stands and the PA announcer serve as the sole audio. No players were miked. Dick Enberg set the scene for viewers at the beginning of each quarter and then viewers were taken to the stadium.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9563528

I just wish announcers could stay non-biased. After awhile I was hoping for N. England to take the lead just to get him to stop gushing about the Chargers. Jackaxe...

honestly, I felt the same way. I was so sick of hearing about the Bolts, we heard about them all season long, Philip Rivers=jesus, Shawn Merriman is a genius supreme athlete etc etc.

It was annoying watching the Pats win but I loved it

it was in 1985, iirc....a jets game...and they never did it again because everyone bitched that the game was boring with no announcers. go figure.

it was an interesting broadcast, though.

it was in 1985, iirc....a jets game...and they never did it again because everyone bitched that the game was boring with no announcers. go figure.

it was an interesting broadcast, though.

It was a very flawed but overall an interesting effort which to the disadvantage of the product has not been tried again to try to iron out the things about the game which were inadequate.

The reason why I am certain that it could be done far better today is that there have been significant visual and graphic advances in broadcasting which could remedy some of the things which were problematic.

For example, I saw these as some of the problems:

1. It was difficult to tell down and distance for each play and to know what the clock was doing.

2. There were a few controversial plays which could stand analysis,

3. There was no connection to other relevant games around the country.

However, the advent of the ability to lay a line down on the broadcast to show the first down point, the prescenve of a continuous game clock and down and distance graphicm and the rotating crawl of other game scores used today which were not present for the most part (if at all) back then but are common now would greatly enhance and announcerless game.

I would even be happy to have a game analyzer come on several times a game when they felt specific plays deserve explanation and context rather than have hi, appear merelu to set the context would be fine. However, my guess is that there may be 6 times per game that merit about a minute of analysis rather than constant filling of space with blather which they do now.

The effort would need a good producer who actually made an effort to minimize the use of extraneous graphics amd a presentation which placed the constants like the clock and down and distance on the edges of the screeb would work well.

All game long, he went on and on about the Chargers and how great they were. Just before the Pats got the game tying touchdown he was still talking about how the Chargers defense had been downplayed for years, only getting respect this year, then saying all you have to do is watch them now and you can see that athleticism and determination. Next play - touchdown throw for Brady.

The ultimate snooze fest would be a game broadcast by Phil Simms and Bryant Gumbel. God, both of them are so fuggin boring.