I Love Playing the Leafs and the Referees

Alaska Darin

I think we need to lose a guy like Kotalik or Novotny and replace them with a(n) Andrew Brunette, Shane Doan, Gary Roberts type player.

I would like to keep Kotalik as he is a guy that can get red hot in a playoff series...Novotny does nothing for me, but hopeflly he is keeping timmy's spot warm...Hopefully we can fill Peters spot with someone at the deadline...if we do that..we will be fine..

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sabres did offer Mike Grier the same contract as the Sharks but he choose to leave. I don't know why but apparently he didn't like living here.

Probably gonna catch flak for this... But, I will say... Please, not meant to be a heated side-bar...

I wonder why? Put 2 and 2 together there ace... :pirate::thumbsup: Freakan' BFLO isn't exactly a sprawling diverse mecca... Who knows what the eff caught in his craw?... But, it has got to be something? -_-

And yes... I am alluding to his personal background... BUT... No, not making too wildy sweeping assumptions, that could make things controversial... Just stoking the racial fire a little. I am saying, If I was him... I wouldn't feel too comfortable in BFLO either...

And yes... I am ragging on BFLO and its parochial attitudes... And yes... Again, these are all CRAZY assumptions on my part that aren't too wildy sweeping... Well, at least I think so...

He is from Detroit... And I think two of his siblings work with NFL organizations... I am positive that one is a scout or something with the DOLPHINS organization...

Ya, I know that is trivial... Mix in a whole bunch of OTHER facts and I can see why he would say, WTF... BFLO?

Except that BFLO has a good shot at the Cup as does San Jose...

There it is said... Fire away if need be...

Probably gonna catch flak for this... But, I will say... Please, not meant to be a heated side-bar...

I wonder why? Put 2 and 2 together there ace... :pirate::thumbsup: Freakan' BFLO isn't exactly a sprawling diverse mecca... Who knows what the eff caught in his craw?... But, it has got to be something? -_-

And yes... I am alluding to his personal background... BUT... No, not making too wildy sweeping assumptions, that could make things controversial... Just stoking the racial fire a little. I am saying, If I was him... I wouldn't feel too comfortable in BFLO either...

And yes... I am ragging on BFLO and its parochial attitudes... And yes... Again, these are all CRAZY assumptions on my part that aren't too wildy sweeping... Well, at least I think so...

He is from Detroit... And I think two of his siblings work with NFL organizations... I am positive that one is a scout or something with the DOLPHINS organization...

Ya, I know that is trivial... Mix in a whole bunch of OTHER facts and I can see why he would say, WTF... BFLO?

You don't need responses, you're doing just fine talking to yourself...

You don't need responses, you're doing just fine talking to yourself...

Quite right! :lol::lol::bag:

MG's brother in the Dolphin's organization I bet lays some serious smack down on his brother for playing up in BFLO?...

I would if I was his brother... Either way the situation played out...

Another question that wasn't answered is... Did MG go to SJ to play more or on a higher line? Not just stuck on the fourth or checking line in BFLO...

Quite right! :lol::lol::bag:

MG's brother in the Dolphin's organization I bet lays some serious smack down on his brother for playing up in BFLO?...

I would if I was his brother... Either way the situation played out...

Another question that wasn't answered is... Did MG go to SJ to play more or on a higher line? Not just stuck on the fourth or checking line in BFLO...

Grier was on the #1 line in Buffalo...or 1A as I believe the Sabres have a 1A, 1B, 1C, and 4th line

There is no way that I would choose Novotny and Mair over Pyatt and Grier. Not even close.

Which Pyatt are we talking about - the 4th-line invisible man for most of his Sabres tenure, or the 1st-line scoring dynamo playing alongside the Sedin twins? There was no way Pyatt was staying here at $1M per to play on the 4th line and contribute 12 points and spend half the year in the press box...

I was never a big fan of Grier, mainly because I felt he was dragging down the Drury line. If Grier was going to be a 3rd-line banger, working the PK and doing the grunt work, then I had no problem bringing him back. I just got tired of watching him mishandle the puck on odd-man rushes, etc - to me he was the Drury line's version of Adam Mair. Novotny, while frustrating at times, is still young and I have no problem being patient with him to see how he develops.

Which Pyatt are we talking about - the 4th-line invisible man for most of his Sabres tenure, or the 1st-line scoring dynamo playing alongside the Sedin twins? There was no way Pyatt was staying here at $1M per to play on the 4th line and contribute 12 points and spend half the year in the press box...

I was never a big fan of Grier, mainly because I felt he was dragging down the Drury line. If Grier was going to be a 3rd-line banger, working the PK and doing the grunt work, then I had no problem bringing him back. I just got tired of watching him mishandle the puck on odd-man rushes, etc - to me he was the Drury line's version of Adam Mair. Novotny, while frustrating at times, is still young and I have no problem being patient with him to see how he develops.

Agree on all accounts. Thank you!

Somehow between June of last year and now, Mike Grier became a Hall of Famer on this board...

I wonder why? Put 2 and 2 together there ace... :bag::lol: Freakan' BFLO isn't exactly a sprawling diverse mecca... Who knows what the eff caught in his craw?... But, it has got to be something? :lol:

That's odd. I don't think any of that had any effect on his decision. He stated that he "didn't like the direction the organization was headed" I believe he chit his pants when they re signed Briere and brought in Spacek to replace McKee.

That's odd. I don't think any of that had any effect on his decision. He stated that he "didn't like the direction the organization was headed" I believe he chit his pants when they re signed Brier and brought in Spacek to replace McKee.

Agree... It was a low-blow on my part to make a callous and personal assumption.

who do we get then...and who do we trade?

Not sure who we get because I'm not sure who's available and what teams want for those players. The two players we could test the market with that I am willing to deal for someone significant are Hecht and Kotalik. I think teams would trade a grinder for one of them and that could help the team.

The stat that concerns me most is that the Sabres are 8 - 7 - 1 against their divisional opponents. One win in their last five in the division. Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto all seem to be getting better. Last year we had an Ottawa problem and we fixed it. The next five games before the All Star game are key especially the game in Montreal on the 20th. The Sabres need to put some doubt into Montreal because otherwise they may be in trouble. Stop looking at October and November. The Sabres need to assert now! February will be a difficult month as the Sabres play Ottawa three times, Atlanta once, Calgary once, Jersey once and Toronto again. March isn't much better. Solve it Lindy!

The two players we could test the market with that I am willing to deal for someone significant are Hecht and Kotalik. I think teams would trade a grinder for one of them and that could help the team.

Dangle Biron, or no? He would clear $2M+ of cap space. I'm not sure what to do there...The team obviously has the talent to win the Cup, but you'd hate to trade Biron and have an injury to Miller derail everything (a la the Sens sticking with Emery last season.) As a starter-caliber goalie, he SHOULD garner more than a grinder....But the Sabres also have zero leverage because he IS their backup.

The stat that concerns me most is that the Sabres are 8 - 7 - 1 against their divisional opponents.

I think they're 2-5 in their last 7 at the HSBC vs. the Northeast division. Not crippling, because the Sabres are such a good road team, but you always want to take care of the home turf.

Dangle Biron, or no? He would clear $2M+ of cap space. I'm not sure what to do there...The team obviously has the talent to win the Cup, but you'd hate to trade Biron and have an injury to Miller derail everything (a la the Sens sticking with Emery last season.) As a starter-caliber goalie, he SHOULD garner more than a grinder....But the Sabres also have zero leverage because he IS their backup.

I think they're 2-5 in their last 7 at the HSBC vs. the Northeast division. Not crippling, because the Sabres are such a good road team, but you always want to take care of the home turf.

Without Biron, who would be the Sabres backup?

In the right deal, yes, I'd trade Biron and hope Miller stays healthy the rest of the year. I'm not really looking to trade Biron, though (i.e. I'm not going out of my way to do it this far along in the year).

I should mention that I think Darcy Regier is a great GM who finds ways to improve the team that no one sees coming. There's little point in speculated on what the team could or would do. I have faith in Regier; the man knows what he's doing. I just want the team to take another step forward before the playoffs start. I guess I would be surprised if they didn't do something.