Are you against trading the 12th pick?

Honestly, If the guy Buffalo wants is on the boards and wont go before late first id see no reason to hold onto the 12th pick. Id love to see Buffalo stock pile some more picks and maybe find some more diamonds in the rough. Kinda like Keith Ellison type of a pick. As long as we can still get a quality player and the guy Buffalo wants, I see no reason to stay at the 12th pick. Unless, Calvin Johnson or one of the BIG DAWGS are on the board at # 12.

But if we were to trade the 12th pick, we can say so long to Patrick Willis from Ole Miss. The kid id love to see in Buffalo.

But im all for getting more picks......

What do you guys think?

Honestly, If the guy Buffalo wants is on the boards and wont go before late first id see no reason to hold onto the 12th pick. Id love to see Buffalo stock pile some more picks and maybe find some more diamonds in the rough. Kinda like Keith Ellison type of a pick. As long as we can still get a quality player and the guy Buffalo wants, I see no reason to stay at the 12th pick. Unless, Calvin Johnson or one of the BIG DAWGS are on the board at # 12.

But if we were to trade the 12th pick, we can say so long to Patrick Willis from Ole Miss. The kid id love to see in Buffalo.

What do you guys think?

I'm with you. I wouldn't mind dropping into the 20's and picking up an extra 2nd rounder. We could probably get the #2 CB on the board in the 20s, and snag a stud DT and OG in the second round.

I'm with you. I wouldn't mind dropping into the 20's and picking up an extra 2nd rounder. We could probably get the #2 CB on the board in the 20s, and snag a stud DT and OG in the second round.

Thats exactly what I was thinking......id love to see Buffalo grab more picks with the hopes they find guys that can play immediately.

yes. Trading the pick could be a bad move. We might have a great opportunity to draft a good player who can considerably help the Bills. Why trade our 1st pick for more picks. That doesn't make sense unless we are able to draft 1 or 2 spots below and get and extra pick in the later rounds. REMEMBER FOLKS< WE STILL COULD TRADE WILLIS FOR A DECENT #2 PICK.

Only if we are sure that we can get the guy we want at the later pick. If last year shows us anything its that Levy and the Boys are committed to getting "The GUY" regardless of the draft position eg. Drafting Whitner when a lot of experts thought we could trade down & still get him or trading up to get McCargo when many felt he would be available in the second round.

At #12 there almost certainly will not be any one player we can choose that will almost certainly will not be the franchise guy that alone can get us into the playoffs.

This being said giving up the #12 for additional choices the Bills can use to build a team and breed competition, there seems to be a very good case for trading down IF you get the right deal offered to you.

Particularly given the good work done by the Bills braintrust last year in making picks which not only all made the team (actually this can be done even if a player plays bad if the braintrust does not want to admit it made a mistake with a choice) but yielded players who got starts and a lof PT (this can also be easily done by a GM who either does not want to admit mistakes if he is insecure, or simply to give rookies PT so they can develop even if they do this by playing badly).

However, not only did the Bills team yield a bunch of picks (including 2nd day choices) who made the starting line-up in a majority of their games (Pennington, Williams, Simpson, Whitner but these players produced a better record against tougher competition than last year so these rookies were not simply given PT because they were Levy/Jauron guys.

Various knowlegable TSW posters make true complaints that 2 of 3 of the Bills 1st day choices made disappointing non-concontributions to the team due to McCargo ending up on IR and Youbouty missing a ton of time due to his Mom dying.

However, my sense is that while this complaint raises questions for those who quite frankly give too much importance to the draft, it actually speaks to how impressive a job the Bills draft team did with their picks last year.

The fact that they got so much quality PT from their draftees on an improving squad means that their second day picking was so strong, they produced this result with 2/3 of their first day choices (the place starters usually come from) not conributing initially at all or very much to the final results.

If this Marv led group is going to get more picks and choose players who contribute as much to this team as late choices like Ellison did, then trading down makes a lot of sense.

REMEMBER FOLKS< WE STILL COULD TRADE WILLIS FOR A DECENT #2 PICK.

How can anyone think that willis will warrent a second round pick? Ive been reading these pipe dreams for a couple weeks now, and dare anyone to give precedent here on why the bills will get anything more than a late third or fourth round pick. The only example I can think of is corey dillon, traded for a 2nd round pick, who had a much more prestigious resume that willis. Please someone shed some light and convince me that someone will think highly enough for a player who has gotten statisitcally worse over the past three season.

the bills need a Beast DT, pass catching automatic mismatch TE, a beast MLB to replace Fletcher, a Top notch CB to replace Clements, and maybe a O-lineman or 2.

i am hoping FA can fill most of those needs.

any position that we dont fill with good young FA tallent, we should look to get with that 12th pick. if that means drafting a player, ok. if that means trading that pick for a solid franchise player, ok.

look back at past drafts and look who was taken with the 12th pick. some great players were found there.

so im not agenst it, but i dont think we are in a "must trade" situation.

At #12 there almost certainly will not be any one player we can choose that will almost certainly will not be the franchise guy that alone can get us into the playoffs.

Jonathan Vilma and and Shawne Merriman aren't "the franchise guy" for their teams?

How can anyone think that willis will warrent a second round pick? Ive been reading these pipe dreams for a couple weeks now, and dare anyone to give precedent here on why the bills will get anything more than a late third or fourth round pick. The only example I can think of is corey dillon, traded for a 2nd round pick, who had a much more prestigious resume that willis. Please someone shed some light and convince me that someone will think highly enough for a player who has gotten statisitcally worse over the past three season.

I CANT STOP LOOKING AT MCGAHEE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE CINCY GAME! this guy is so electrifying! i am going nuts thinking about his burst and acceleration!

please people join the fun and go crazy for willis

Jonathan Vilma and and Shawne Merriman aren't "the franchise guy" for their teams?

Nope, its not that, its the TBD draft equation.

Given the Bills draft at pick N in the first round, there are N-1 guaranteed cant-miss draft picks that will be superstars in each draft class, and we will always miss out.

What do you guys think?

OK, but I am against trading the #2 and the #3 picks for an extra #1 to take another DT from NC State. :thumbdown:

I would rather take the 12th best player in college football and hope he develops in to a difference-maker rather than try to develop--- depth. I like the idea of trying to gather more Lee Evans' and Jim Kellys' on our team. Difference-makers make--- a difference!! I'm not interested in having the best second string in the NFL. Depth can be found in many venues other than the draft. How about a few Pro Bowl worthy players; other than guys that just kick the ball, that is.

ATTN ALL WILLIS WANTATRADERS, DRAFT PICK TRADERS, NATE HATERS, AND TKO MUST GOERS...

THE REASON THIS TEAM SUCKS THE %^^ IS BECAUSE WE SPENT THE PAST 8 YEARS TRADING OUR PICKS FOR CRAP AND JUNK AND LETTING OUR CORE PLAYERS GO! THE BUFFALO BILLS HAVE NOT HAD A GOOD DRAFT SINCE 1987! READ THE FACTS!! THIS TEAM SCOUTS SUCK ROYAL!!!!!! PLUS WE ARE NOTHING BUT A FARM TEAM WITH OUR FA'S WALKING OUT THE DOOR!

KEEP THE PICK... KEEP OUR PLAYERS....USE FA TO MAKE A WINNER!!! AND PLEASE DONT VOTE FOR DEMS, YOUR TAX DOLLARS WILL THANK YOU!!!

As far as WM is concerned, draft an RB propsect you believe in (preferably on the second day as we have bigger immediate needs than RB that a first day pick MIGHT be helpful with) an stay the course as far as his contract.

He has little leverage if he were to mount a holdout (as actually the track record despite the blusterous talk for the rubes is that Rosenhaus' folks do not tend to mount holdouts) this year.

Let him play with the incentive of playing out his contract and if he has a top 5 RB year then simply tag him or show him the money.

There is little value for this team in trading WM now and ample leverage for the team regardless of how well he plays next year.

Folks concerned with the soap opera aspects of this entertainers life will not be pleased, but folks focused on how he does on the field will be fine.

The point of my post was not that franschise players cannot be found at #12 (or even in the 7th round if one sites a Terrell Davis or UDFA if one believes in Jason Peters). The point was that there is no likely CERTAIN franchise player at #12.

If the Bills (you or anyone else) can name the next Shawn Merriman or Vilma who you want at #12 then do not trade down pick the guy. If you can identify the next Joe Montana pick him in round 2 so no one snatches him before your round 3 choice or if you can identify the next Tom Brady, then pick him in round 5 so no one snatches him before your pick in round 6.

However, given the quality the Bills showed in making late picks last year, the strength in number approach looks like a good option for this team.

I would rather take the 12th best player in college football and hope he develops in to a difference-maker rather than try to develop--- depth. I like the idea of trying to gather more Lee Evans' and Jim Kellys' on our team. Difference-makers make--- a difference!! I'm not interested in having the best second string in the NFL. Depth can be found in many venues other than the draft. How about a few Pro Bowl worthy players; other than guys that just kick the ball, that is.

The Bills had the 12th pick in the 1983 draft and took Tony Hunter, TE out of Notre Dame. It was later, the 14th pick, and clearly thought less of than Hunter, that the Bills took Kelly. I'm just sayin'. :thumbdown:

The Bills had the 12th pick in the 1983 draft and took Tony Hunter, TE out of Notre Dame. It was later, the 14th pick, and clearly thought less of than Hunter, that the Bills took Kelly. I'm just sayin'. :thumbdown:

Agreed no science Mike Williams, Tony Mandarich etc. but if we can't trust our scouts with the 12th pick I really don't trust them with the 25st and 51st pick (just to pick random numbers). On the other hand we could probably trade down and own the whole seventh round to ourselves. You talk about some depth baby !!!