Trimming the Fat

I've seen a lot of talk on the boards about who everyone thinks the Bills should go after in FA and the draft but have seen very little about who you guys think should be released or not resigned. I have a few in mind but I wanna hear who you guys think should go.

London Fletcher- Not worth the price tag his agent will be demanding considering he is on the back nine of his career.

Duke Preston- The revolving door of the Bills O line.

Kevin Everitt- Big time bust.

Ryan Denny- Can easily be replaced by Hardgrove in an area that would not see a dramatic dropoff in production.

Tim Anderson- A way below average tackle who could easily be replaced in the draft or free agancy.

Andre Davis, George Wilson- See above.

Ryan Denny- Can easily be replaced by Hardgrove in an area that would not see a dramatic dropoff in production.

Ryan Denney is not a FA...He just re-signed last year. The other DE Kelsay is an UFA and will be hard to re-sign as there will be a good demand for his services.

Ryan Denney is not a FA...He just re-signed last year. The other DE Kelsay is an UFA and will be hard to re-sign as there will be a good demand for his services.

This is why I think we acquired Hargrove at the trade deadline and we re-sigend Denney last offseason...because we knew we weren't going to be able to re-sign both.

I think he was suggesting that Denney should be cut outright. I disagree although if you asked me 2 years ago I would be all over it.

I won't miss Kelsay if he goes. I didn't follow Preston too closely, but he hardly seemed like the worst offender on the line. I agree about Fletch unless we can get him a good price while we develop his successor. Tim Anderson can go, as well as Kevin Everett.

I'd actually like to see Andre Davis get more time offensively. It's just hard to make room for him.

Fletcher doesn't have to be released, he is a FA and going by his comments, does not look like he wants to come back because his feelings are hurt they didn't tryto re-sign him earlier

Preston is still young playing a different position then what he was drafted at. Give him some time as a backup providing depth, he is still signed so theres no need to release him just yet

Kevin Everett I agree completly with, let him go, they should definitly look to draft another TE or bring in a FA to compete with Royal and Cieslak

Denny could stay for depth, but if its a choice between him and Hargrove, I'd rather see Hargrove back

Anderson, just like another guy with the same last name (Bennie) can find work elsewhere, I wouldn't even keep him for depth

Davis I would keep just for special teams. He was great as the gunner and usual the guy downfield making the tackle on kickoffs. Keep him for Special teams and WR depth

Wilson, has not made the team in the past and I doubt he will, he can easliy be replaced so I wouldn't worry too much about him

Let Villarial go, he's the only guy who would really save us anything. I'd love to replace Everitt with Daniel Graham and not even bother to tender Tim Anderson. Free agency is all about re-signing Nasty Nate if you ask me.

If we don't re-sign Nate or bring in an established CB through FA then we are going to have a serious question mark going into next season. When Winfield left, we at least had an inkling that McGee could play. I don't think Greer, K. Thomas, or Yobouty have shown us any of that up to this point.

I agree with letting go of Everett...unfortuately he really never got a chance to prove himself with his major injury...but this team desperately needs a catching threat at TE (or maybe even 2)

London Fletcher has been a good guy to have here....he played the game hard and had some fine moments as a Bill...but for his price tag and age...it is time to move on.

When Winfield left, we at least had an inkling that McGee could play.

That's not my recollection. As I recall it, we hadn't seen much out of McGee and signed Vincent to be the replacement for Winfield. Fortunately McGee was able to step in and perform adequately when Vincent was hurt, but I don't think the plan ever involved him as Winfield's replacement.

Regarding Everett, I have not seen him do much of anything with the Bills in what was essentially his rookie year. It does not cost the Bills anything to bring him to camp and see whether he has gotten over the hump.

Re-sign Nate. Re-sign Hargrove over Kelsay. Let Fletcher go (love his heart but on the wrong side of 30--32 yo next season for a MLB). Everett can go, Preston upgraded over Villarial but I think you can upgrade over Preston.

I think trying to find a great corner is going to be tough to replace Nate and will hurt this defense without a significant pass rush. Nate really did shut down the opposing teams top WR---that is very difficult to find nowadays. If you plan on going out and signing Dwight Freeney opposite Schobel then maybe you let him go.

Fletcher doesn't have to be released, he is a FA and going by his comments, does not look like he wants to come back because his feelings are hurt they didn't tryto re-sign him earlier

Preston is still young playing a different position then what he was drafted at. Give him some time as a backup providing depth, he is still signed so theres no need to release him just yet

Kevin Everett I agree completly with, let him go, they should definitly look to draft another TE or bring in a FA to compete with Royal and Cieslak

Denny could stay for depth, but if its a choice between him and Hargrove, I'd rather see Hargrove back

Anderson, just like another guy with the same last name (Bennie) can find work elsewhere, I wouldn't even keep him for depth

Davis I would keep just for special teams. He was great as the gunner and usual the guy downfield making the tackle on kickoffs. Keep him for Special teams and WR depth

Wilson, has not made the team in the past and I doubt he will, he can easliy be replaced so I wouldn't worry too much about him

Denny simply can't buy any respect around here. From what I saw this year, he outplayed Kelsay more often than not and quietly went about playing fairly well all told. I would like to see him about 20-lbs heavier tho.......20 lbs of muscle...

Denny should stay.....

Regarding Everett, I have not seen him do much of anything with the Bills in what was essentially his rookie year. It does not cost the Bills anything to bring him to camp and see whether he has gotten over the hump.

Agreed.,...I think Cieslak should be moved to the FB position....Get Daniel Graham and pair him up with Royal and have Everett as the 3rd TE. If he works out then great.

Denny simply can't buy any respect around here. From what I saw this year, he outplayed Kelsay more often than not and quietly went about playing fairly well all told. I would like to see him about 20-lbs heavier tho.......20 lbs of muscle...

Denny should stay.....

Thats why I said keep him around atleast for depth, but if it was between him and Hargrove (and only him and Hargrove) I would rather see Hargrove get the spot.

I've seen a lot of talk on the boards about who everyone thinks the Bills should go after in FA and the draft but have seen very little about who you guys think should be released or not resigned. I have a few in mind but I wanna hear who you guys think should go.

London Fletcher- Not worth the price tag his agent will be demanding considering he is on the back nine of his career.

Duke Preston- The revolving door of the Bills O line.

Kevin Everitt- Big time bust.

Tim Anderson- A way below average tackle who could easily be replaced in the draft or free agancy.

Andre Davis, George Wilson- See above.

Fletcher- You just can't invest beaucoup dollars in a 32 year old player, no matter how good he still is, because he's always going to hit the wall at some point, and sooner than later. If the price is right, and the deal is not too long and is cap friendly, then I would love to see him back, but not to break the bank. That's just sound strategy and realism imo.

Duke Preston- Why would you cut a player who has at least performed serviceably as a starter when he could provide experienced depth? Just because he's not a top-notch starting guard does not mean he isn't valuable to the team.

Kevin Everett- As someone said, it doesn't hurt us to bring him back to camp. He's easily expandable before next season if something else pans out. He was supposed to be a pass catching TE out of the U, though. Another camp won't hurt things.

Ryan Denney- Ah, I see, you were referring to Kelsay. He is likely gone, as I like him but would not pay him the dollars he's going to command in this watered down/inflated FA salary cap era. Hargrove seems capable of taking Kelsay's spot and teaming with Denney. I would not be adverse to another body here that can rush the passer, but that is perhaps a luxury.... But we do need a little more consistent pass rush....

Tim Anderson- Absolutely no one will disagree with this.

Andre Davis- Another "WTF"? He was awesome on ST. We'll see how crowded the WR depth gets after this draft and free agency. He could be a casualty only because of roster spots, but I would not want to get rid of him.

George Wilson- Who cares?

Fletcher- You just can't invest beaucoup dollars in a 32 year old player, no matter how good he still is, because he's always going to hit the wall at some point, and sooner than later. If the price is right, and the deal is not too long and is cap friendly, then I would love to see him back, but not to break the bank. That's just sound strategy and realism imo.

Duke Preston- Why would you cut a player who has at least performed serviceably as a starter when he could provide experienced depth? Just because he's not a top-notch starting guard does not mean he isn't valuable to the team.

Kevin Everett- As someone said, it doesn't hurt us to bring him back to camp. He's easily expandable before next season if something else pans out. He was supposed to be a pass catching TE out of the U, though. Another camp won't hurt things.

Ryan Denney- Ah, I see, you were referring to Kelsay. He is likely gone, as I like him but would not pay him the dollars he's going to command in this watered down/inflated FA salary cap era. Hargrove seems capable of taking Kelsay's spot and teaming with Denney. I would not be adverse to another body here that can rush the passer, but that is perhaps a luxury.... But we do need a little more consistent pass rush....

Tim Anderson- Absolutely no one will disagree with this.

Andre Davis- Another "WTF"? He was awesome on ST. We'll see how crowded the WR depth gets after this draft and free agency. He could be a casualty only because of roster spots, but I would not want to get rid of him.

George Wilson- Who cares?

I agree with most of your points.

With Fletcher, I would offer a 2 or 3 year deal at middle-of-the-road starting MLB annual salary. Losing a big SB (signing bonus, not Super Bowl!) because of injury is the greatest risk when resigning an aging starter to a new contract, but LF-B has never missed a game, and is still playing very well. Imagining how we would have looked this year with a weak MLB is painful. I suspect I care less about Fletcher's age than others, so I think he'll be available for a lower salary than younger talent, and will be a good value. Can you imagine how psyched we'd be to get him if we started a below-average MLB on the Bills, and LF-B put up those stats for another team?

All that said, I do think we need another new young LB to start grooming. Questions about Fletcher, Crowell, Spikes and Stamer are too much.... Even with Ellison playing very well, we're getting thin at the LB poisition behind our thin D-Line.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there's enough positive game-tape on Preston to allow him to command a high salary for another team. I do think he's very serviceable, however, and is where we ought to pay a bit more to keep a player with the money we save from not overspending on someone like Nate. Don't get me wrong, Nate played great in the last eight... er... but I'd rather see that money spread accross our many needs rather than dumped on a single guy, one I'm not convinced won't coast a bit after getting his payday.

Denney has played very well, and at very least provides better backup at DE than most teams can keep. He arguably could start, though I would prefer to see him rest and come in and play lights-out for 50% of the plays. He gets a lot of tips with those looong arms.

Davis has definitely exceeded my expectations. I'd try to sign him to a 2-3 year deal with a minimal SB. I was surprised to see him (figuratively) fly past Aiken as our ST demon WR. Wilson is worth bringing back to training camp, though hopefully we don't lose Davis and not find a better WR somewhere else.

---

Shelton, Villarial and our TE's are on my shitt-list. Unfortunately it seems we still desperately need to add a solid TE.