ESPN News tidbit on Nate Clements Free Agency

ACor58

Nothing earth shattering. Said that both sides will not discuss a new contract until the season is over. Clements agent indicated that after the season ends, the closer that Nate gets to FA, the more likely he would like to test the waters. The reporter (can't remember his name) felt that Nate will not be returning.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only a fool would think Nate is actually going to be in a Bills uniform next year

he will most likely sign with the Skins for a boat load of money

I want Nate back here. He is one of the best cornerbacks in the league and he deserves to be paid like one. However, he is not Champ Bailey, and he does not deserve to be paid like Champ Bailey. When he retires, Bailey may go down as the best CB of all time.

I wish that we would be able to sign Nate for Chris McAllister type money, but I don't think that it will happen.

I want Nate back here. He is one of the best cornerbacks in the league and he deserves to be paid like one. However, he is not Champ Bailey, and he does not deserve to be paid like Champ Bailey. When he retires, Bailey may go down as the best CB of all time.

I wish that we would be able to sign Nate for Chris McAllister type money, but I don't think that it will happen.

So you are saying although you want him back, you don't believe he will be back because we aren't going to pay him Mcallister money, and because he will want at least that or more likely Bailey money? Even though we have the money available. Is this correct?

only a fool would think Nate is actually going to be in a Bills uniform next year

Don't be so sure of that...remember back in the Polian/Butler/Marv era, they stressed re-signing their own...to a detriment down the road when they had to let long time vets like Bruce, Andre, and Thurman go as cap casualties. At that point, those guys were beyond their prime. When Bruce was in his prime and signed an offer sheet with Denver, Wilson matched it. I'm not saying that Nate is in the same class as Bruce, but he's still an upper echelon corner in the league.

I dont believe what some reporter says, most of the time they are 100% wrong. If Ralph can make an offer that Nate likes, I see no reason why Nate leaves. Hes played very well 2nd part of the year. And where this team is now, they are very close to becoming a solid team, and I believe Marv & Co understand that this would be a major set back if they lose Nate. Cause not only do they lose Nate, im sure many fans will follow.

This day and age of the NFL, you need to pay the good players to stay. If you want a solid fan base show the fans you are making an effort to win and im not just talking about extending a kickers contract. Keep the best players on the team.

I can tell you now, I have NOT see anything that tells me Youboty can take over for Clements.....

If Clements leaves, its another MAJOR set back for this team that has no room for any setbacks! Cause honestly, I think this is the last shot the team has at winning anything in the Buffalo area.

Im pretty sure Buffalo would have the funds to resign Nate correct?

Clearly, the Bills have enough cap space to re-sign Clements. The question is whether RW/Bills have enough cash to pay the signing bonus.

The Bills need to re-sign Clements. He is a very good player, relatively young and there is no player on the roster that is ready to start at cb.

For what it is worth, Jerry Sullivan is on record as saying that Ralph Wilson has verbalized to him that he (RW) does not belive any cornerback is worth the kind of money that it would likely take to re-sign Clements. I know most here hate Sullivan, but I don't think he would have said this (on one of his GR55 segments) unless Wilson actually said it.

The only way, as I see it, Nate ends up in a Bills uniform next year, is if the Bills pony up a lot of cash. Two recent interviews I heard with Clements gave me no indication that he had any warm and fuzzy feelings about WNY (he won't give the Bills a "hometown discount"), and every indication that he feels he has earned his big payday, which he will get,

no matter where he has to play.

My feeling is, I would absolutely love to have Clements back, but, given the immenent free-agency of guys like Losman, Evans and McGahee, I am not sure it would be wise to make a corner the highest paid player on the team. For whatever the reasons (legit or not), we already know that the Bills will not spend up to the salary cap max. To pay Clements what he is likely to want, would throw the Bills entire salary cap structure out of whack. Not a good way of rebuilding a team.

Clearly, the Bills have enough cap space to re-sign Clements. The question is whether RW/Bills have enough cash to pay the signing bonus.

The Bills need to re-sign Clements. He is a very good player, relatively young and there is no player on the roster that is ready to start at cb.

Exactly........

I just hope the front office is smart enough to see that this team is not that far away from winning. Clements is a HUGE part of the winning factor. He shuts down other teams #1 guys. He started off slow, but the work he put in to make himself better was what this team needs. I have a feeling Buffalo resigns Nate and London and makes one big FA signing and has a good draft to fill the rest of the needs.

I also could see Buffalo keying 1 solid OL and one solid DL and the rest via the draft.

If we have the money I say do it, cause like ive said before, Buffalo has not had this much of a shot at winning this much in a long time. And to be truthfull, its do or die for the Buffalo Bills and their ties with WNY.....

So you are saying although you want him back, you don't believe he will be back because we aren't going to pay him Mcallister money, and because he will want at least that or more likely Bailey money? Even though we have the money available. Is this correct?

Yes, we will make him an offer, but it will not be anywhere close to what he feels he can get on the open market.

Clements is gone.

Only way he stays is if the Bills use the franchise tag. Otherwise, bye bye.

Yes, we will make him an offer, but it will not be anywhere close to what he feels he can get on the open market.

Well, I will say that.

(Perhaps not a confusingly as this, but the point is, he wants more then Ralph considers he is worth, and the current salary cap situation will have no bearing on it)

But you have to find a starting point dont you? Im sure Buffalo will offer more then one contract. Im sure they will offer a handfull, its not like they will make one offer and if Nate says so the Bills say see ya.......im sure there have been talks about a contract long ago, its just hush hush right now

Clements wants out.

He's as good as gone.

But you have to find a starting point dont you? Im sure Buffalo will offer more then one contract. Im sure they will offer a handfull, its not like they will make one offer and if Nate says so the Bills say see ya.......im sure there have been talks about a contract long ago, its just hush hush right now

I do find some satisfaction in the fact that the Redskins are the highest revenue team and most likely have the highest paid coaching staff plus they pay out big bucks each off season for free agents only to underachieve in a mediocre division.

Exactly... which is why he is in essence out of here.

I also know his fiance hates Buffalo... so unless they literally overpay him, he's out.

Marv gave Nate his word last season that he would not franshise him again.