Robert Royal

Casey D

Notwithstanding his misstep in the end zone--and who among us has never screwed up--I really like this guy. Listening to him talk, he's smart, and seems like a quality guy. Fairchild started working him into the offense late in the season, and he has responded. At 27/28, I look for big things from him next year.

I really think the Bills need to spend all their off-season addressing the lines, with some lesser re-examination and tweaking at LB and WR. I leave it up to Marv and Co. about how critical Clements is at the price he will cost. I think the rest of the team is solid, especially with a year with Jauron and company under their belt.

He may be a nice guy, but I just don't think he's the answer. We haven't had much luck with TE's lately, so I think maybe it's time to draft one and invest in grooming him.

In fact, I can't think of a single TE that's been consistent over the last five years. Time to draft one.

Notwithstanding his misstep in the end zone--and who among us has never screwed up--I really like this guy.  Listening to him talk, he's smart, and seems like a quality guy.  Fairchild started working him into the offense late in the season, and he has responded.  At 27/28, I look for big things from him next year.

I really think the Bills need to spend all their off-season addressing the lines, with some lesser re-examination and tweaking at LB and WR. I leave it up to Marv and Co. about how critical Clements is at the price he will cost. I think the rest of the team is solid, especially with a year with Jauron and company under their belt.

878265[/snapback]

When we signed this guy last winter, I told folks to check out the "NFL game of the week" of the Chargers@Redskins which was still replaying on NFL network. He dropped three easy passes in that game and the Redskins play-by-play guys were literally calling for him to be cut on the spot, and saying he was single handedly killing the Redskins playoff chances. Sound famialar? I've never heard such venom spit at a player by that teams play-by-play guys. Not even close. When I watched that during the season last year, I had flashes of Lonnie Johnson. Then the BILLS signed this guy to a nice contract on day one of free agency. :thumbsup:

He is by all accounts a great guy to have on the team and around the locker room and a very good blocker, but do him a favor and DON'T THROW HIM THE FOOTBALL, before he kills again! I know he's open, but there is a reason they don't cover the guy. They know he is a bumbling oaf near the football.

When we signed this guy last winter, I told folks to check out the "NFL game of the week" of the Chargers@Redskins which was still replaying on NFL network.  He dropped three easy passes in that game and the Redskins play-by-play guys were literally calling for him to be cut on the spot, and saying he was single handedly killing the Redskins playoff chances.   Sound famialar?  I've never heard such venom spit at a player by that teams play-by-play guys.  Not even close.  When I watched that during the season last year, I had flashes of Lonnie Johnson.  Then the BILLS signed this guy to a nice contract on day one of free agency. :doh:

He is by all accounts a great guy to have on the team and around the locker room and a very good blocker, but do him a favor and DON'T THROW HIM THE FOOTBALL, before he kills again!  I know he's open, but there is a reason they don't cover the guy.  They know he is a bumbling oaf near the football.

878563[/snapback]

I normally agree with your assessment Bado but I'm going to have to disagree here. Royal has looked pretty good in the last 5 or so games and a dropped pass here or a missed foot in bounds there doesn't erase all the positive plays he's made lately. He'll never be a superstar pass catching TE but he's athletic, fast and has pretty good hands. If they involve him on the offense more I think the Bills will get the production out of the TE position that they've been missing for years.

I normally agree with your assessment Bado but I'm going to have to disagree here. Royal has looked pretty good in the last 5 or so games and a dropped pass here or a missed foot in bounds there doesn't erase all the positive plays he's made lately. He'll never be a superstar pass catching TE but he's athletic, fast and has pretty good hands. If they involve him on the offense more I think the Bills will get the production out of the TE position that they've been missing for years.

He has hard hands. If he had "pretty good hands", he would have done what Jason Peters or Mike Vrabel or anyone else with better hands than our tight end would have done, which is REACH UP with his HANDS and catch the football with those HANDS. Instead, he cradled an easy pass into his body because he doesn't trust his hands, and that's why he ended up coasting out of bounds on the play. Stop, reach up and catch the football. I know people are excited because he's made some plays in the open field, but when nobody is near you in the middle of the field, it doesn't matter if you have to body catch the ball. Different story near the sidelines and in traffic.

He has hard hands. If he had "pretty good hands", he would have done what Jason Peters or Mike Vrabel or anyone else with better hands than our tight end would have done, which is REACH UP with his HANDS and catch the football with those HANDS. Instead, he cradled an easy pass into his body because he doesn't trust his hands, and that's why he ended up coasting out of bounds on the play. Stop, reach up and catch the football. I know people are excited because he's made some plays in the open field, but when nobody is near you in the middle of the field, it doesn't matter if you have to body catch the ball. Different story near the sidelines and in traffic.

There are plenty of WRs out there that catch the ball with their body instead of their hands as well (Keyshawn Johnson comes to mind). Although I'd, obviously, rather them use their hands instead of their body it doesn't mean the player can't be a productive part of the passing game. As I said, he's not going to be Antonio Gates but he can be good enough in the passing game for the Bills to focus their offseason on other spots.

For all you Locals: Where does Royal live? JP strikes me as the kind of guy who will play catch with his receivers during the offseason just for chits and giggles---and it seems the two have already developed striking raport. Clearly JP and the passing offense need him or any other tight end to have success. Who knows what will happen in the offseason.

I got to likin' Royal too by year's end, but the toe (not) tap is really basic stuff...if he can't concentrate enough to make a dime-a-dozen play that every NFL receiver needs to make, I'm not comfortable with him.

Royal has actually cost us in two games this year. Remember the unnecessary (as in Peerless Price was already past him), fourth quarter illegal block in the back he made in the opener? It called back a first-down catch by Price, and we never got the ball back from the Pats.