Odds Jauron was Facing

Mikie2times

The Bills have converted 19 of 47 3rd downs of 4, 5, and 6 yards this season, a 40.4% clip. So at the minimum Lindell needed to have a 40% shot at making that kick. It's more likely around 50% when you consider Tennessee still had ample time to counter the FG, with the wind, and a guy that's already made a 60 yard game winner. For his career RL is 12-19 from 50 yards out a 63.2% clip. The wind easily took 5 yards off the ball, so that's why I have his 50 yard numbers instead of his 40 yard numbers. If the wind took more then 9 yards off the ball (more then possible) it would equal Lindell’s career long. You can see how close the decision actually was for Jauron. I thought he made the right one at the time, and still do after looking at the probabilities.

Edit: I did some more exact probability work below. It appears the bottom line on Lindell’s kick had to be about 35% or better for it to make it a 50/50 proposition.

The Bills haveFor the people who wanted a FG attempt Lindell needed atleast a 60% shot or more at hitting the FG to make it worth while. You could even argue it needed to be higher then that.  Afterall the titans still had ample time to counter with the wind, and a guy who's already made a 60 yard game winner this season. A

878140[/snapback]

Senior moment?

If they sent him out there to kick the ball, it was a guaranteed loss. I watched all the pregame kicking, he has less than 5% chance of hitting that, the ball would have been at least 5 yards short. He kickjed about 4 that i saw from that distance and not one of them had the range for all you people who were disgusted with the 4th and 5 call. A FG had zero chance, lindell said it himself without saying it.

Senior moment?

878142[/snapback]

Haha, I hit submit when I was changing a thought around. Please go back and read it again. Should make a little more sense.

Edit- Damn I'm stupid right now, all my math was f'ed up in the correction post! :thumbsup: It's fixed now.

Here’s another angle to this thread which would be the correct way to look at the probabilities. Either call would require two variables for the Bills to win. If you kick the FG, you take the probability of making the kick, and multiply it by the probability of Buffalo stopping a TEN FG. If we go for it you figure out the probability of converting on fourth down, then the odds of Lindell later making a shorter FG. Here’s a breakdown of what that could look like with different odds.

Go for the FG with the Bills having a 95% chance at stopping Tennessee the next drive

Kick% Stop% Win%

10%----- 95%------ .0095

20%------95%------.190

30%------95%-------.285

40%------95%------- .380

50%------95%-------.475

60%------95%-------.570

Or

Go for the FG with the Bills having a 90% chance at stopping Tennessee the next drive

Kick% Stop% Win%

10%----- 90%------ .009

20%------90%------.180

30%------90%-------.270

40%------90%------- .360

50%------90%-------.450

60%------90%-------.540

Or

Go for the First down, and make a shorter FG, diffrent odds of that FG are listed.

Go for the First down

FIRST%---FG%-----WIN%

40.4%------70%------.283

40.4%------75%------.303

40.4%------80%------.323

40.4%------85%------.343

40.4%------90%------.364

Perhaps the most important aspect of this thread...Jauron didn't get to read it while making his decision.

878162[/snapback]

I still support his decision. Let me also say Jauron knew all this stuff before the decision was made. As fan I guessed we converted around 40% the last two days in these 3rd/4th and short situations. Jauron's a freaking Ivy Leaguer. If a random fan could guess the probabilities that closely I'm sure he had it within a 2-3% of the actual odds in his head.

I still support his decision. Let me also say Jauron knew all this stuff before the decision was made. As fan I guessed we converted around 40% the last two days in these 3rd/4th and short situations. Jauron's a freaking Ivy Leaguer. If a random fan could guess the probabilities that closely I'm sure he had it within a 2-3% of the actual odds in his head.

878163[/snapback]

I was just kidding. I agree with the decision not to kick, but like most others my big problem comes with the 3rd and 4th down plays that were called, and the confusion on the sideline and field on 4th down. At very best, it showed very little discipline/coordination between himself and his assistant coaches and players. At worst, it was a complete cluster.

That said, I really like having Jauron as the coach. I think he blew that drive, but I also think he is a very solid coach who will LEARN from his mistake, unlike our last coach who seemed to take great satisfaction doing the same stupid things over and over again.

That said, I really like having Jauron as the coach.  I think he blew that drive, but I also think he is a very solid coach who will LEARN from his mistake, unlike our last coach who seemed to take great satisfaction doing the same stupid things over and over again.

878172[/snapback]

I totally agree. I don't blame him for not kicking the FG, but he definetly ruined the drive. Losman in shutgun on 3rd down? And then on 4th down the entire offense was hectic and Lindell didn't know wtf was going on, Jauron lost control and i think got clueless for a few minutes too. I think he's done a great job and Mike Ditka even said on espnews that he would never second doubt Jauron on anything, he said that Jauron is one of the smartest guys in football... so i definetly don't disagree with him on not kicking, but i think he could have handled the last drive a bit better and had the offense more ready for the final 2 plays to get the 5 yards.

I was just kidding.  I agree with the decision not to kick, but like most others my big problem comes with the 3rd and 4th down plays that were called, and the confusion on the sideline and field on 4th down.  At very best, it showed very little discipline/coordination between himself and his assistant coaches and players.  At worst, it was a complete cluster.

That said, I really like having Jauron as the coach.  I think he blew that drive, but I also think he is a very solid coach who will LEARN from his mistake, unlike our last coach who seemed to take great satisfaction doing the same stupid things over and over again.

878172[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more.

If they sent him out there to kick the ball, it was a guaranteed loss.  I watched all the pregame kicking, he has less than 5% chance of hitting that,  the ball would have been at least 5 yards short.  He kickjed about 4 that i saw from that distance and not one of them had the range for all you people who were disgusted with the 4th and 5 call.  A FG had zero chance, lindell said it himself without saying it.

878144[/snapback]

But then why start and send the FG unit out, call them back... Only to create a confused and rushed O play on 4th?

Then heave it on a "Hail Mary" into that same wind... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

As much as JP has been "growing" on me lately... He really botched that play, sure he was put into a rushed situation...

JP had better odds if he just "hoofed" it and attempted to get the five himself... I would respect him more today, even if he didn't make it.

Like I said... JP is growing on me... Yet, I am still very much queazy about him leading this team.

I so want to be proved wrong in the coming years!

:thumbsup:

not sure if this has been said before, I am too lazy to look and I wasn't here to look monday, but if there ever was a better time to use that fake field goal with Peters getting the shovel pass that was it. The play call is what bothered me, we needed 5 yards not a TD. Josh reed has made a living the last few weeks getting 5 yard first downs

I agree, don't kick.

Now, can someone explain why on 4th and 3 with your season on the line, you run a five-step drop and send your receivers on streaks to the endzone?

878237[/snapback]

Because it was a fire drill out there... The O had to come back on after the Bills coaching staff sent the FG unit out, then called them back in so they could go for the first.

Was there even a play called?... With the play clock winding down and in fear that they might not get it off... JP probably said "HIKE!" and everybody did their own thing! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

When on the sandlot, what does everybody do? Go deep!

:thumbsup:

not sure if this has been said before, I am too lazy to look and I wasn't here to look monday, but if there ever was a better time to use that fake field goal with Peters getting the shovel pass that was it.  The play call is what bothered me, we needed 5 yards not a TD.  Josh reed has made a living the last few weeks getting 5 yard first downs

878238[/snapback]

So true... The way they had it going with the FG unit going out right away...

Going for it doesn't bother me... It is just they made the decision to go for the FG first... There is no turning back at that point. They hesitated and changed plans while the play clock was winding down... That is what did them in!

So take into consideration that and a FG try really had better odds.

The way they changed their mind is what doomed everything, IMO.

Where is George W. Bush when you need him? :thumbsup: