We need a running back

nodnarb

The Bills need to find a running back to challenge McGahee in his contract year. Be honest: Are you really that impressed with him considering what was sacrificed? (Time)

The idea was to take the risk and give up the 1.5 years he'd need to be back to his 'old self', that is, when he was deemed by Miami to be Frank Gore's backup before Gore tore his ACL. So...I still remember the scene from the BB.com video that shows Donahoe asking Ralph if he wanted to take a good player or try to hit a home run.

McGahee isn't a home run because his first step isn't explosive enough. We can all see it. Willis is a really good back, don't get me wrong, and I think with consistent gaping holes he could be a top 5 back in yards and TDs. He's a good blocker and a good guy and I want to be fair to him, but I don't think you can doubt that it takes him too long to get back to the line of scrimmage compared to more explosive backs. Travis Henry even has a better first two steps than Willis, although Willis is better after step 4 and is much better in space. Problem is, our holes aren't wide and they need to be hit faster than Willis is hitting them.

I just don't think a 3.9 average rush in year 3 is hitting a home run, and I don't want to hear the 'first year offense' thing. That's not a valid excuse for YPC. Think of all the really impressive backs that were taken well out of the first round since then. Don't need to go through the list - there are about 15 backs more impressive than McGahee right now. More complete. Faster to the hole. Better receivers. Better jukers. There's a slight clumsiness to McGahee's game, too. I don't know if it's the big, slightly pigeon toed feet or what, but we're not seeing him bounce off of guys and maintaining balance and getting ridiculously tough yards. "Home run" yards. We're seeing him mainly knife down in congestion.

He has nice fakes at near full speed in space but he doesn't have a lateral bounce at 1/3 or half speed that makes people miss. And the home run backs do. Or they're bowling balls with great balance. He's not that good in short yardage, either. In other words, I believe the Bills will look for a back on day 1 this APril, if there are any worthwhile. McGahee needs internal competition, and the Bills need a change of pace back who can do the things that Willis does not excel at.

If you look at the god awful play of Phillip Rivers in the 2nd half of the season, and the Chargers' torrid pace in spite of it, it's clear (to me) that JP Losman needs a better supporting cast, and it starts at RB.

Other than that one big run vs the Jets, what truly explosive plays has McGahee given us that any other starting back couldn't have delivered?

We'll see. I don't think Willis is enough.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you that McGahee is good, not great. However, he's going to have a great 2007 because it's a contract year, BUT we'd be foolish to re-sign him because his play in post-2007 seasons will not match the contract he will sign. He's not someone I consider a cornerstone of the franchise.

he's going to have a great 2007 because it's a contract year

I think this line of reasoning is off. It suggests Willis hasn't given everything he has had all season long. I think Willis has shown a lot this year. He has battled through injuries, illness, and a right side that forces him to run just to the left. He impressed me this year with his guts. I don't know if he is the superstar we had hoped for, but I don't want any of our resources going to running back this off season. If Willis walks after 2007 we can get a good running back next off season, and it is the ultimate position that doesn't need grooming, experience, or learning a system, so it can be plugged in pretty quickly.

Guards, a DT, support at LB, a pass catching TE or big possession receiver, but RB is pretty low on my shopping list.

I will agree with the arguments that Willis hasn't become hwat we expected but, I think next year, after another offseason with JP and that passing game and pretty much the same line, and the same system, I think we'll see a more productive Willis. If we don't, then we need to asses the situation but I think the offseason will finally catapult him to what he should be a superstar rb.(fingers crossed) :D

Would you guys be interested in trading for Travis Henry?  :D

877852[/snapback]

The Travis Henry of yesterday would be great, the Travis Henry of his Bills years - no. Henry was too often seperated from the ball in his years here, but yesterday he held on like he was clutching a 15 year old girl's panties. I don't think he even juggled a ball yesterday, let alone lose control. If that is how he his playing these days then God Bless you - you got yourself a decent back.

Before you judge Willis, Id like to see him run behind a good line....

I think Willis is a very good RB.  Our O line is crap....

877825[/snapback]

Oh my sweet Jesus I am sick of hearing this!!!

How has JP done behind this line? How much better was Willis than A-Train behind this line? How was Corey Dillon behind his line in Cincy? How was Barry Sanders? The list goes on and on.

STOP BLAMING THE OLINE!

This hating on WM (and others) after a lost has just got to stop! No, WM is not the best RB in the league but he is still pretty good. Rb is far from being a top need on this team. This would be similiar to picking WM when we already had a good back in TH. While I was one of the 1st to disagree with the drafting of WM, he is a Bill now until his contract runs out and we have to deal with the cards handed to us. Wm is one of the few good players that we do have and instead of worrying about wasting a high draft pick or FA signing to upgrade a good position we need to focus on areas of immediate need like DT. It's amazing how those who ran TH out of town a few years ago now wouldn't ming having him over WM! If we kept TH the same ones would be crying about how slow TH is and when he does fumble harp back to 2003!

It was a problem that was corrected relatively quickly, with coaching. Tiki Barber had major fumbling problems earlier in his career. Did the Giants ship him off in exchange for a mid-round pick? No. They watched him develop into a top-tier back.

That's not to say that Travis compares favorably to Tiki Barber. It's simply pointing out the fact that some running backs can be coached to get over their fumbling problems. Travis, as it turns out, was one of them.

The Travis Henry of yesterday would be great, the Travis Henry of his Bills years - no.  Henry was too often seperated from the ball in his years here, but yesterday he held on like he was clutching a 15 year old girl's panties. I don't think he even juggled a ball yesterday, let alone lose control.  If that is how he his playing these days then God Bless you - you got yourself a decent back.

877883[/snapback]

This is getting pathetic.

If WM was on the other side of the ball against our D-line, you'd all be salivating over the thought of having him here as he gashed the hell out of us.

What a sorry bunch of grass is greener fans, no wonder you blackout every week and the team is going to end up in a city with better people to support it.

Stop fondling your McGahee jersey for one second... and keep this in mind:

The Titans came into yesterday's game with 30th ranked rush defense in the NFL. It's not like Buffalo was significantly worse.

At some point, the excuses have to stop.

If WM was on the other side of the ball against our D-line, you'd all be salivating over the thought of having him here as he gashed the hell out of us.

What a sorry bunch of grass is greener fans, no wonder you blackout every week and the team is going to end up in a city with better people to support it.

877944[/snapback]

Before you judge Willis, Id like to see him run behind a good line....

I think Willis is a very good RB.  Our O line is crap....

877825[/snapback]

I don't buy the o-line is crap argument anymore. This line has been performing much better lately. When Willis just puts the pedal to the metal he's been quite effective, but too many times he dances and holes close up. Watch a guy like LT, he makes one cut into the hole and is gone, but Willis will cut before the hole, and then it closes. No matter how good your oline is they can only keep holes open for so long.

877944[/snapback]

Bull. If WM was on the other side of the line, he would get zero respect and recognition in this new group.

Oh my sweet Jesus I am sick of hearing this!!!

How has JP done behind this line?  How much better was Willis than A-Train behind this line?  How was Corey Dillon behind his line in Cincy?  How was Barry Sanders?  The list goes on and on. 

STOP BLAMING THE OLINE!

877913[/snapback]

JP has struggled behind this line and been sacked often, and it took a big reshuffling stressing pass protection to get him back on track. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Pennington, and I hope Fowler holds down that position until someone else is ready to step in, but our line is one good, one average, and three below average players. Watch a game (or Tivo, etc), and try watching just Pennington and Preston. We don't run right, and there is a reason for it. Preston is the weakest link right now, and will be replaced as starter this offseason. Pennington and Gandy will rock/scissors/paper to see who is #2 in line to be replaced, with Pennington having the youth and size advantage going for him. Congratulations to the line for picking up the pieces after our three game losing streak, but please realize that it is not a good line.

Willis was much better than A-Train behind this line, but I am pleased with A-Train's performance and am happy to have him as a #2 back. Corey Dillon had a much better line than this, and Barry Sanders practically played independently from his line, and is the single greatest talent any team has ever had in terms of creative agility to gain yards when there are no big holes to run through.

WM might not be here in 2008. But showed a ton of guts this year, is a good back, and is our guy in 2007. We have no more RB controversy than we have QB controversy. He will do better next year with better health likely, with a better line stabilized, and a more mature passing attack. I think after next year if he goes somewhere else we will have "must sign WM" threads and we will be sad when if he leaves.

I agree, you can't blame the o-line anymore because they are much improved. They aren't great by any means, but they are good to average now. I don't think you will see them make many moves this offseason to it because they have improved so much, most moves will probably be for depth purposes. They have a good centre, a great young LT, a good LG (Gandy is a good LG, just not a good LT) and a very young right side. Just give these guys time to gel together and some time to develop (Preston and Pennington as players, and Peters at his new position) and the o-line will be a good one next year.

Willis is a good back (not great) and has been improving. Henry is also good too, unfortunatly Henry did not want to be a #2 or a #1b, he wanted to be a #1 back, something most fans seem to have forgot during the recent weeks (and months) of the TH lovefest around here. Henry wanted out, the Bills were content doing what alot of teams have done recently (and is starting to become a trend) which is running a RB tandem. Something I really hope they start doing more of with A-train and Willis.

The Defence needs the most work now and thats where the focus should be in the offseason again. Theres no need to make even more unnecessary holes when theres more pressing concerns. Why don't we cut Lindell for not being able to kick a field goal into the wind yesterday and find a guy who can, Steve Christie could have, or maybe some other kicker could have?