Lots to be optimistic about for 2007

Cornerville

Lost by 1 to Tennessee....Lost by 1 to Indianapolis....Lost by 2 to New England...Lost by 3 to San Diego...Lost by 3 at Detroit (how did THAT happen!?)...SO close to making the playoffs...kudos to Jauron and the team for not caving in after the 2-5 start...and I for one am looking forward to 2007.

Had a thought, not sure how accurate this is: That win at Cincy last year ensured the Bills of finishing ahead of the Jets...consider this...because of that...the Jets got at Cleveland and Oakland and Buffalo got San Diego and at Baltimore.

Amazing how much of a difference...and advantage...this became for the Jets..

GO BILLS in 2007!!!!

And Merry Christmas, Happy Festivus, Happy Chanukah, Happy Kwaanza...and Happy New Year to everyone here on TBD!

The Bills should be the second best team in the East. I'm predicting 10-6 at least.

877776[/snapback]

I think 10-6 is a reasonable expectation for 2007.

My Christmas List for the Bills in 07?

1. Resign NC

2. Sign Erik Johnson TE (SF)

3. Draft or sign another good WR

4. DT signing

5. LB signing/draft

1. Resign NC

4. DT signing

5. LB signing/draft

877780[/snapback]

I wouldn't get Eric Johnson but I would get everything else on your list. We need a better Tight End. I wouldn't be mad if we did get him though.

1. Resign NC

4. DT signing

5. LB signing/draft

877780[/snapback]

Erik Johnson is a good TE for SF, WHEN he's playing. He's been injured often though.

Pats are not THAT good, Jets will be better, Fish have issues.  IF the team can make some improvments on the Dline and maybe 1 or 2 Oline players, I see no reaosn why we cant win the East?

877803[/snapback]

If we still have Willis next year the Jets are dead and The Pats are falling apart. The only problem I have is that the Pats have 2 1st round draft picks and Lawrence Maroney.

If we still have Willis next year the Jets are dead and The Pats are falling apart. The only problem I have is that the Pats have 2 1st round draft picks and Lawrence Maroney.

877810[/snapback]

I agree that with the 2 1st round picks and Maroney the Pats are far from dead. I think with a few key additions, they will be in the think of things again (although I hate saying that).

You guys need to figure a couple of things out with this team...

They dont know how to win big games..

They dont know how to go for the kill...

Piss poor coaching will continue...

And for the real topper... RALPH WILSON WILL NOT SPEND 30-40 MILLION THAT WE HAVE IN CAP ROOM!!!!!

Yea i think Johnson would be a good pick but i'm concerned about his injury issues. the 49ers drafted vernon davis for a reason so...

Also, signing nc is huge for us, hopefully he plays the same way next year.

Getting a stud DT in free agency or draft is more important than a WR but is Johnson from Georgia Tech or Samardzija from ND were on the board with no stud DT's, i'd take either one of them in a heartbeat.

Need another LB for depth and need a new fullback..shelton is done and the loss of him yesterday hurt the running game more than we realize.

Need to get rid of Gandy. Since day one I have said he stank and he has only proved my statement. Steinbech from the Bengals would be a great fit for the LG position and a new C would be good (fowler is a little weak and small). Also, maybe a new RG, not sure if preston is answer but we'll see next training camp.

Most pumped I've ever been for next year.

Lets Go Buffalo '07 :D:doh::doh:

And for the real topper...  RALPH WILSON WILL NOT SPEND 30-40 MILLION THAT WE HAVE IN CAP ROOM!!!!!

877824[/snapback]

True.

Ralph has never splurged on the offseason.

Spikes, Bledsoe, Sam Adams etc.. :D

The real issue is: The Bills need to make better decisions with whom they draft and sign. Pretty simple way of looking at but so hard to master.

I'm very optomistic about 2007. I think Marv has seen a microcosm (sp?) of what ails the Bills in this game.

1) Can't stop the run.

2) Poor clock management for various reasons.

3) Poor game calling at critical times. 85% of it is good but we need a boost to get to maxumum efficency in playcalling.

4) Maybe a new center and guard.

5) Maybe one more big physical possesion reciever

6) An upgrade at TE. Royal is servicable but not outstanding. I want Antonio Gates outstanding.

7) A big power runner for third and short. Maybe A-Train is the man, but then that gets back to the playcaller. A-Train was not really used correctly IMHO.

8) TKO's replacement

9) More CB's

Make those changes and we are in the playoffs next year.

IMHO I think we need s serious up grade at LB.

Weather that is Spikes getting back to his old form or a replacement.

London, God love him he plays with a heart of a lion, but rarely does he make the tackle at or before the LOS. Crowel, well I'm not sold on him either. I realize a DT that requires double teaming would free up the LB's more and I think we need that too, but I really think we need a LB.

Pats are not THAT good, Jets will be better, Fish have issues.  IF the team can make some improvments on the Dline and maybe 1 or 2 Oline players, I see no reaosn why we cant win the East?

877803[/snapback]

Marooney has brought a new weapon to NE's offence. +2 1st Round pics next year. And as much as we hate the team, no one has been able to replicate NE's ability to stay competitive year in year out.

I'm still not sold on the Jets and not convinced that Pennington is a marquee QB.

They're running game is non-existent. The Jets would have finished 6-10 if they had the Bills schedule. Wk 17 is another great comparison: Jets play Oakland, Bills play the Ravens.

The Fish need help on offence, especially with MM as their OC. The defence, while playing well this year, is aging. And still an outside chance (20%??) that Saban is coaching Alabama next year.

2007 prediction:

NE 11-5

BUF 9-7

NYJ 7-9

MIA 5-11

Realistically, Ralph either can't afford or will refuse to afford the signing bonuses and salaries that will be doled out this offseason. At the very least, all his complaints about money have painted him into a corner. He's not going to spend because that would undermine his stance.

--Clements will be scooped up by another team within two days of free agency opening, probably for a $20 million bonus.

--We will re-sign Fletcher, Kelsay, and Gandy, for a bit of a home team discount. These are all high-motor "character" guys that Marv loves, as well as leaders in the locker room that enjoy playing for Jauron. They're Buffalo-types that don't mind playing here.

--That leaves us with DT, OG, and CB as the three biggest needs. Looking over free agent lists, there aren't any good DTs available that can improve us. There are also no good CBs that will be within our price range (Clements or Samuel too much $$$). Likewise with guards, as Steinbach and Dielman will be paid like kings. You COULD overpay an inconsistent, talented guy like Derrick Dockery to come, but the more I think about it, the more I'd rather just draft an OG.

--Drew Bennett will be our big free agent acquisition. He's white, high-motor, and high-character, and he fits the need of a receiving target with size. That'll pretty much be it in free agency, as the bonuses/contracts paid out to Fletcher, Kelsay, and Bennett will sap our small budget.

--The Bills are too married to small-and-quick on the d-line to acquire a big runstuffer. Look at the Colts. They've been getting gashed by the run for years but have they changed a thing? Nope. Tampa-2 enthusiasts don't tend to be flexible about their philosophy. We're going to end up drafting an athletic 295-lber like Glenn Dorsey or Brandon Mebane. It won't help the run defense much but it'll make us even more dangerous on passing attempts.

--Draft predictions:

Round 1: DT... example, Glenn Dorsey (athletic, would re-unite him with Kyle Williams)

Round 2: OG... example, Manuel Ramirez (excellent runblocker)

Round 3: CB... example, Eric Weddle (white, high-character, leader)

I think a win cannot haunt a team period. Winning would've made next weeks game feel like a playoff game and given JP and the rest of the team a little taste of late season meaningful football, and now next week means very little in the grand scheme of things. Even if they had gone 9-7 and missed out on the playoffs this team would have some real swagger going into next season. As it stands right now we have a brutal schedule next season:

Home:

Jets, Pats, Phish, Dallas, Cincy, Balt, G-men, and as it stands right now KC

Road:

Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington and right now Jacksonville again.

Those are some real tough opponents, and one injury to JP or Lee Evans, and we're looking at a terrible season, but yeah winning yesterday would have sucked for this team because everything is a given from year to the next in the NFL.