plenzmd1

Do you have roadies?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have roadies?

• Never
    • Only if I am the passenger
    • Occasionally
    • All the time

I have a long standing argument with my wife about the open container law. Man, she gets pissed at me when she knows I have a beer or two in the car. Anyway, it is the one law that I think is absolutely assinine, and heres why.

My point has always been why is it okay for me to have two or three beers in a bar then get in the car and drive home. Assuming I am under .08 BAC, there are no lawful or moral implications from just about anywhere.

However, after a long day in DC, driving home to Richmond, I pull over in Fredricksburg, get a six pack, and enjoy two cold ones on the 45 minute drive I have left. I just do not see the distinction between that and stopping in a bar in Fredricksburg, downing two beers, then climbing back in the car and driving.But dam, people get morally outraged cause you are "drinkin and driving"

Now, I could see if was illegal to drink anything in your car as it causes a distraction, then I would stop having my roadies.

What do ye all say?

Completely agree. The more assinine law is the one where NO open container can be present in a vehicle and if so, the driver is charged. Way to encourage being a DD. :rolleyes:

I rarely drink a brew when I'm driving...maybe one on the way to a party every few months. But in college when someone else was driving us to the bar or something, we would all have beers in the car. If the driver isn't intoxicated, there should be no problem whatsoever IMO.

I just learned that several states still don't have open container laws. That surprises me.

873040[/snapback]

No open container laws in the Virgin Islands. In fact, most convenience stores have bottle openiers adjacent to the cash register so you can open your beer as pay for your gasoline!!

Considering all the illegal: guns, drugs, cigarettes etc. that run up and down I-95, I'm not going to get excited about some guy drinking a beer.

Have you ever spilled any? :lol:

873084[/snapback]

I get upset, turn down the music, and call a party foul on myself.

Personally, i don't think it's that big of a deal. To tell you the truth, if you're only having a few on ride home from work, you won't be drunk, but you will still be charged. If you are trashed behind the wheel, why not go down swinging in a hail of gun fire when you get pulled over. :rolleyes:

Considering all the illegal: guns, drugs, cigarettes etc. that run up and down I-95, I'm not going to get excited about some guy drinking a beer.

Have you ever spilled any? :lol:

873084[/snapback]

Half the reason I keep my 96 explorer is the cup holder goes half way up a can of Bud!!! No spillage :rolleyes:

I don't see what the problem here is, are you really that much of an alcholic that you can't wait til you get home that you have to drink on your way home? Sure, Having one or two isn't going to get you into an accident (maybe) but c'mon, is it that hard to just wait til you get out of the car?

873359[/snapback]

Short answer ....Yes, its that hard :lol: