"Voice of Reason" silenced

Joey Balls

While I was on my commute to work this morning I tuned in WHLD 1270 like I do every morning to hear the hosts viewpoints regarding the potential demise of the Bass Pro deal and instead got moaning, wailing, licking your palms church music. It seems WHLD was the victim of not a hostile takeover but a "Gospel" takeover and that's a real shame for this community. While 1270 was the local Air America affiliate that wasn't the reason people I know, or myself, listened to it. They listened to it for unique and divergent viewpoints from the local programming, covering stories that the other so called "news-talk" station didn't feel warrented any attention. Whether it be environmental, concerns, labor and union news, or casting a cold eye on the city's Pie in the sky development schemes The Voice of Reason was needed to at least counteract much of the crap spewing forth from the middle of the dial at the other "news" station...and now it's gone.

I have friends at the station, both on air personalities and behind the scenes, who aren't nearly as disappointed as I am. They seem to think the spirit of the station will pick up somewhere else. In what format they wouldn't reveal to me but I have every confidence in them.

In the meantime I'll have to console myself with the fact Democracy Now is still on for an hour a day....for now.

http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/citycide12.19.06.html

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a good article in today's NY Times on the mismanagement and incompetence of the brain trust at Airhead America and how that has resulted in their problems, including losing numerous affiliate stations.

871514[/snapback]

Speaking of Airhead America, I saw somewhere that Al Franken is considering a run for the Senate

......and instead got moaning, wailing, licking your palms church music. It seems WHLD was the victim of not a hostile takeover but a "Gospel" takeover and that's a real shame for this community.

871276[/snapback]

Very nice.

Very "tolerant" of you. Your expression of "acceptance" of all people from "diverse" backgrounds of different faiths is very "enlightened" and "progressive."

I hate capitalism too.  "Air America" is as much the "Voice of Reason" as Rush Limbaugh/Sean Hannity are.

Too funny.

871716[/snapback]

Too right, many people think radio stations are in business to inform / entertain / agree with viewpoints of their listeners. Radio stations are in business to make money, nothing else. I think I recall reading that WHLD will sell hour long bolckis of programming where the purchser can detremine the content. Your opinion is so damn important that you have to broadcast it??????, the you will have to pay for the privilege.

I listen to NPR, support it, but I think its subsidy from the government is out of line.

Upstate New York's problems are clear. Wasteful and harmful social programs have resulted in far too high a tax rate. Misguided government involvement has resulted in too many regulations. Moreover, the state is very lawyer-friendly and labor union-friendly. These problems have served to drive out businesses; which have driven out jobs. That's why Upstate New York has been on a decline since before most residents were born.

How many of these problems could a liberal talk show reasonably be expected to combat? Liberal people, driven by a liberal point of view, created each of the problems described above. Addressing New York State's problems with a liberal point of view is like using cyanide to treat food poisoning.

Measure it again; I'm sure it'll be closer to the national average.

872049[/snapback]

Your post makes you look like an idiot for not understanding the various articles and links I've posted on the subject. Then again, it makes you look wishy-washy, because there were times in that discussion when you admitted the phenomenon did exist. Then you have to wonder what it says about your sense of humor if you're telling the same joke that's been told dozens of times already on these PPP boards. Finally, this thread was supposed to be about the closing of a liberal talk radio station. Why you feel the need to hijack this thread and turn it into a regression of the mean debate is beyond me.

Other than those four things, your single sentence didn't embarrass you too badly. :(

Your post makes you look like an idiot for not understanding the various articles and links I've posted on the subject. Then again, it makes you look wishy-washy, because there were times in that discussion when you admitted the phenomenon did exist. Then you have to wonder what it says about your sense of humor if you're telling the same joke that's been told dozens of times already on these PPP boards. Finally, this thread was supposed to be about the closing of a liberal talk radio station. Why you feel the need to hijack this thread and turn it into a regression of the mean debate is beyond me.

Other than those four things, your single sentence didn't embarrass you too badly. :(

872162[/snapback]

But that's what you've been saying: the difference between a measured value and the mean - the expected value - is error. Error causes regression toward the mean. Ergo, NY taxes aren't extreme, it's just measurement error. Just like how a rubber band stretches.