Offensive gameplan for Titans

I think this Tennessee game will be our most conservative game of the entire season, and considering our other gameplans that's saying something. Considering the way the Titans beat Jacksonville (24 points w/ no offensive touchdowns), I think Dick Jauron will be sure that Fairchild's number one concern is to take care of the ball. Jauron will want to sit back and let his defense and special teams make plays. This is how he likes to run his team anyway, but it'll be even moreso in this game.

DJ will work all week and come out Sunday with the defensive gameplan that he believes has the best chance of eliminating Vince Young's running game. He's shown when he wants to take an element away from an offense, he's capable of it. With this accomplished, Jauron will sit back and wait for Young to make a mistake with his arm, or for our special teams to set up the offense with indeniably beneficial field position.

Therefore, on offense we should expect a whole lot of the ground game, whether its working or not. Jauron will be patient and wait as long as it takes for Young to make a mistake or for our special teams to make a play. In the meantime, our offense will be keeping the ball away from situations that would create turnovers, and will use Moorman and Parrish to win the field position game. This will be a long, boring, drawn-out affair. If we win, I could see something like a 13-6 final score.

AnthonyF, don't even bother watching, if I'm right you'll be pulling your hair out this Sunday.

I think most turnovers the Jags had were pretty much hand given to the Titans! But then again I just seen the highlights and didnt actually see the game......

I say let it fly man....i wouldnt hold anything back! Its due or die, its not time to be conservative offensively.....

As for defense, I dont fear their WR's.....Clements has been on lock down McGee has been strong aswell.....I can see Whitner being brought up to contain Vince Young.

One thing is for sure, we cant have any miss tackles this weekend!

Going into the jags game the titans had statistically the worst ranked defense in the league. 25th against the pass. 22nd in ypa. 26th in passing tds given up. 28th in rush yards. 25th in ypa. 29th in rushing tds given up. 32nd overall. No need to be conservative regardless of what they did against the jags. Garrard hasn't been terribly effective this year. Protect the football, and make smart decisions, but don't hold it back because of a lucky defensive game, for a unit that hasn't done much of anything. For the record the titans are also 28th in the league in points allowed.

With this accomplished, Jauron will sit back and wait for Young to make a mistake with his arm, or for our special teams to set up the offense with indeniably beneficial field position.

870927[/snapback]

I believe this is what the Dolphins tried to do this weekend: run the ball and wait for JP to make a mistake. I'd advise against any gameplan that relies on the other team doing something wrong.

Going into the jags game the titans had statistically the worst ranked defense in the game. 25th against the pass. 22nd in ypa. 26th in passing tds given up. 28th in rush yards. 25th in ypa. 29th in rushing tds given up. 32nd overall.  No need to be conservative regardless of what they did against the jags.  Garrard hasn't been terribly effective this year. Protect the football, and make smart decisions, but don't hold it back because of a lucky defensive game, for a unit that hasn't done much of anything. For the record the titans are also 28th in the league in points allowed.

870957[/snapback]

But lest we forget some of the paltry offensive statistics the Bills are currently bolstering which havne't been totally offset by the recent resurgence.

How has their D fared the past four weeks?

I believe this is what the Dolphins tried to do this weekend: run the ball and wait for JP to make a mistake. I'd advise against any gameplan that relies on the other team doing something wrong.

870963[/snapback]

It worked with the Colts. We sat back, ran the ball and waited for our defense to get a turnover, and we nearly won a game we were supposed to get blown out of because of Terrence McGee's fumble and kickoff returns. Additionally, VY has 12 fumbles and 11 INTs in a bit over 12 games this season.

It worked with the Colts. We sat back, ran the ball and waited for our defense to get a turnover, and we nearly won a game we were supposed to get blown out of because of Terrence McGee's fumble and kickoff returns. Additionally, VY has 12 fumbles and 11 INTs in a bit over 12 games this season.

870972[/snapback]

Are you nuts? Despite the performance this week, the Titan defense has been a joke.

This is a game that the Bills should be on the attack.

we will try to get ahead early, put vy behind, and get him to force the ball.

our best run D is our quick strike on O, those deep passes put pressure on an O to get away from the run, and then we are all good in the hood

You cant live on what you opponent did last week...........

Look at what Miami did the Patriots last weekend, beat them 21-0 made Brady look foolish. Buffalo comes out shuts them out and makes their highly rated defense look dumb.....I mean JP picked them apart.

I dont fear the Titans defense cause of the balls the Jags gave them! What I dear fear is their running game with Henry and Young....If the Titans can control the clock they can make a game of it. They like the Bills have a young unit playing hard for every snap.

Make no mistakes, this is a tough game....but we should have our shots!

Are you nuts? Despite the performance this week, the Titan defense has been a joke.

This is a game that the Bills should be on the attack.

870975[/snapback]

If their defense is really THAT bad, then while we're constantly running the ball trying to be conservative, we'll find ourselves picking up 1st downs in the process. We should continuously pound the ball, chew up clock, and wear down that run defense for Willis in the second half. Our defense and/or special teams WILL make a play in this game if we successfully take away VY's running.

If their defense is really THAT bad, then while we're constantly running the ball trying to be conservative, we'll find ourselves picking up 1st downs in the process. We should continuously pound the ball, chew up clock, and wear down that run defense for Willis in the second half. Our defense and/or special teams WILL make a play in this game if we successfully take away VY's running.

870984[/snapback]

I went to NFL.com to check the stats of the Titans defense and I didnt realize how bad they actually were....

I do agree, we need to pound the ball as much as we can wear down that defense and then use our weapons, thats when we cut Lee Evans, Roscoe loose....But we need to protect the football, if we dont give it away the offense can put some points up like they did against the Jets. As of late we have been facing some top tier defenses with the Jags & Miami and we beat them....so...you never know.

Dont get me wrong, Titans are on a roll this is not a given game. Gotta give respect where its due.

I do think we will have our opportunities! Id love to see Buffalo control the clock and put 7 points on the board not just 3.....Id feel better not allowing Vince Young on the field....

So in my mind, its not a gimmie type game, but it is a game where we should have some opportunities down field and we should be able to get a run game going!

870963[/snapback]

Yep, I think it's simple, play strong defense, take away their run and use our offense to put points up on the board.

When Buffalo plays conservatively they tend to lose, see Indianapolis, see 1st half of SD, see Detroit, etc etc.

Yep, I think it's simple, play strong defense, take away their run and use our offense to put points up on the board.

When Buffalo plays conservatively they tend to lose, see Indianapolis, see 1st half of SD, see Detroit, etc etc.

870990[/snapback]

Good points man, I agree......when your playoffs are on the line, you cant be conservative, its due or die......right now you cant hold anything back.

With the Titans defense we have gotta attack, id throw everything at them!

But lest we forget some of the paltry offensive statistics the Bills are currently bolstering which havne't been totally offset by the recent resurgence.

How has their D fared the past four weeks?

870966[/snapback]

I looked it up myself :rolleyes:

(Jacksonville): 202 rushing yards.

194 passing yards.

17 pts. allowed

4 TO's

3 TD's

(Houston): 218 rushing

200 passing

20 pts allowed

0 TO's

0 TD's

(Indy): 100 rushing yards

351 passing yards

17 pts allowed

2 TO's

0 TD's

(NYG): 144 rushing

143 passing

21 pts. allowed

2 TO's

0 TD's

(Philly): 209 rushing

84 passing

13 pts. allowed

3 TO's

0 TD's

Translation: This is their current FIVE GAME WINNING STREAK. The Titatns have managed to catch teams in the troughs of their respective lulls (McNabb injury occurred against them, the Giants' implosion, Indy's annual late season egg fart) and have played teams which are inconsistent at best (Houston, Jacksonville). BUT, the numbers they have allowed during their current streak are analogous to the Bills' own improvment.

But these stats also justify the topic of this particular thread in that stopping the run has clearly been their bane.

I expect Buff to take its shots though too and though runs might dictate/sustain drives all day, big pass plays and red zone pass plays will account for Buffalo's scoring IMO.

Going into the jags game the titans had statistically the worst ranked defense in the league. 25th against the pass. 22nd in ypa. 26th in passing tds given up. 28th in rush yards. 25th in ypa. 29th in rushing tds given up. 32nd overall.  No need to be conservative regardless of what they did against the jags.  Garrard hasn't been terribly effective this year. Protect the football, and make smart decisions, but don't hold it back because of a lucky defensive game, for a unit that hasn't done much of anything. For the record the titans are also 28th in the league in points allowed.

870957[/snapback]

That's right, those numbers are terrible. The only number that isn't terrible is that the Titans are tied for 8th in the NFL in takeaways. The only way they beat us this Sunday is if we turn the ball over.

DJ will find a way to take away Vince Young's running game. He took away Indy and Houston's downfield passing game, the Jets' and Dolphins' short passing games, etc. We'll find a way to eliminate VY running (tennesseeboy already has a thread specifically talking about how we'll do it).

And really, should we do that, do you see his arm taking them the length of the field? Let Willis run the ball and pick up some first downs, throw short, quick passes, and let Moorman do his thing and make them start with a long field in front of them. Parrish should have plenty of oppurtunities to break a return and Willis should be effective. If we keep playing the field position game we will eventually end up with field position so good we can open it up and go for points. Schobel forces a fumble, McGahee breaks a run, Roscoe hits a big return, Losman finds Evans deep (we can take a couple of shots with play action), VY makes a mistake with his arm...just be patient.

Let's make it so that the team tied for 8th in takeaways can't get their hands on the ball! Again, the only way Tennessee beats us is if we turn the ball over.

Remember Haynseworth is back and he is a stud. Gotta handle him as a run stopper and pass rusher. The defense for the Titans is different with him That being said I think if we can bolster our pass protection (tight ends, fullback) and the offensive line can play like they have been, I think we should probably open it up a bit, and not play too conservative. Thats's based on my increased confidence in JP's throwing and decision making and the much improved offensive line.

Defensively..I'm still eight in the box with Wire as the fourth linebacker leaving Clements, Whitner and McGee to hold back the passing attack.

Go Bills.

Seems to me that the Bills have been the most successful when they run a hybrid ultra-conservative slash bombs away game plan, as evidenced yesterday. For the most part the entire gameplan was conservative. They want to run and did. They wanted to elimate deep drops and throw mostly safe passes and did. There were a lot of roll outs and screens and dump passes. BUT, they also took their shots downfield. Probably 6-7 plays, including going deep the first play of the game.

This, to me, is an excellent strategy for the young team and young QB and evolving line. They aren't throwing it all over the field. They aren't exposing Losman to a lot of huge risk plays. But they are taking their shots when they feel the opportunity and are connecting on them. So I wouldn't tone it down at all against the Titans, I would do what they're doing, depending on how the game progresses.

I looked it up myself  :rolleyes:

(Jacksonville): 202 rushing yards. 

194 passing yards. 

17 pts.  allowed

4 TO's

3 TD's

(Houston):    218 rushing

200 passing

20 pts allowed

0 TO's

0 TD's

(Indy): 100 rushing yards

351 passing yards

17 pts allowed

2 TO's

0 TD's

(NYG): 144 rushing

143 passing

21 pts. allowed

2 TO's

0 TD's

(Philly): 209 rushing

84 passing

13 pts. allowed

3 TO's

0 TD's

Translation:  This is their current FIVE GAME WINNING STREAK.  The Titatns have managed to catch teams in the troughs of their respective lulls (McNabb injury occurred against them, the Giants' implosion, Indy's annual late season egg fart) and have played teams which are inconsistent at best (Houston, Jacksonville).  BUT, the numbers they have allowed during their current streak are analogous to the Bills' own improvment. 

But these stats also justify the topic of this particular thread in that stopping the run has clearly been their bane. 

I expect Buff to take its shots though too and though runs might dictate/sustain drives all day, big pass plays and red zone pass plays will account for Buffalo's scoring IMO.

871008[/snapback]

Titans fan here checking in for the game, and you are correct on this. Yes we are on a streak, but our run defense stinks period. One of our biggest problems right now.For pass defense, stay away from Pacmans side, most teams do now anyway.

PAcman and chris hope have 4 ints each on the year, lamont thompson has

3( allthough many of us would like to see him gone), I know a few others have 2.

For offense, Vince has been pretty good lately, made that throw mistake at the end of jaguars game( could of been worse). Vince gets the ball to lots of guys, I belivee during the giants game we had 8 different guys get catches, problem is we have guys that are droppers, drop passes they shoud have caught to many times.

Special teams we are very solid, the last 4 games no one will hardly punt to pacman, so when that happens we take Bobby Wade out of kick off returns and put pacman in.

The game should be a good one, we both need the win in our longshots for a playoff birth. Looking forward to the game this weekend...