Blacked out??

pBills

I hear ya'.  Since leaving WNY in 1995, I've had to watch the game in some strange places and mostly alone.  Now that DirecTv is available, it has really helped.

But I refuse to miss a game.

870937[/snapback]

It's often made me wonder... what's a truer sign of a fan? Someone that buys season tickets? Or someone that listens to streaming ESPN radio for score highlights one week, checks all the furniture stores in town the next week (sports bars cost money and poor grad students don't have lots of money), and refreshes the NFL play-by-play the next week?

I know we're all great fans!! But, it certainly takes a wierd kinda dedication when every week you have to piece together a new way to get the game info.

I've often sat back this year and thought of how lucky I am to have DirecTV and Sirius radio (best birthday present I ever got!). For the first time, I've actually watched or listened to every game every week.

As folks pointed out, if Ralph and the Bills simply took the step like many other teams do (Pitts was mentioned below) of tarping off some of the seats to lower the attendance possibilities then a lift of the blackout can be achieved,

Many teams do this because in the multi-use stadiums they occupy the sight lines which various seats provide for football makes these marginal seats anyway or total attendance at the stadium in the winter is a different level than the total attendance which can be handled in the summer or at different events depending upon how much staff is needed for crowd control, refreshments, etc.

As Ralph and the Bills could create a situation where sellouts are more easily achieved if they chose to the question is why not.  Who knows for sure outside of Ralph and the Bills but my since is that the reason(s) are likely some combo of:

1. The current huge potential total attendance levels allows the Bills to maximize every nickel they can get from ticket sales and if the cost of making a few exra nickels is that a few games are blacked out after numerous sellouts then so be it.

2.  Having a few games blacked out actually plays well into the Bills development strategy.  The blackouts are a useful tool unfortunately if you want to leave town (one ignores the reality this was the 3rd largest crowd in the NFL last weekend and simply pretends the area does not care enought to support a pro football team or that as a small market it cannot compete.  Or what I hope is the case is that this is a useful tool for building a case that the poor unwealthy Bills (yeah right) need and deserve a massive corporate welfare subsidy from NYS to build a new stadium for the sole control of the Bills.

I for one think that such a subsidy would be wrong, but since I am not in charge and my team and my area would benefit greatly from NYS shipping a bunch of money upstate I am happy to deal with it.

870914[/snapback]

Ummmm, who are these "many" teams that cover up seats?

You should be. The league's intention is to get rid of football in Buffalo. Look how much press the Bills have been getting during this run. Very little. It's as if we don't exist. The NFL network last night didn't even mention the game less show any highlights. That tells you what they think of Buffalo. They hate Ralph and can't wait for him to die so the team will be moved. Enjoy the Bills while they're here.

870527[/snapback]

Just shut up, you know nothing of the subject and are creating rumors based on unintelligent interpretations of things that aren't even there.

Give it a rest or stop posting on this subject you low IQ botard.

Simple solution.  Tarp off 5-7,000 seats (ala Jax) and there ya go, instant sellouts.

870748[/snapback]

Let's kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Solve the bitching about the blackout and solve the revenue shortfall. Block off 10K seats and increase ticket prices by at least 50%. This will boost ticket revenue by a significant amount. I'll gamble there are 60K die hards in Buffalo that will pay the higher prices without blinking and this will get the games on TV.

Also, raise the price of parking. The least expensive stadium parking here in Chicago for a Bear's game is $40. $100 a game for premium parking. Really.

Fans in Buffalo don't know how good they have it.

Quitcherbitchin about the occasional blackout.

Let's kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  Solve the bitching about the blackout and solve the revenue shortfall. Block off 10K seats and increase ticket prices by at least 50%.  This will boost ticket revenue by a significant amount.  I'll gamble there are 60K die hards in Buffalo that will pay the higher prices without blinking and this will get the games on TV. 

Also, raise the price of parking.  The least expensive stadium parking here in Chicago for a Bear's game is $40.  $100 a game for premium parking.  Really. 

871069[/snapback]

I agree. Another thought... why not tarp it off and put some huge ad space on there? Fewer seats, no black outs, increased advertising revenue.

Just shut up, you know nothing of the subject and are creating rumors based on unintelligent interpretations of things that aren't even there.

Give it a rest or stop posting on this subject you low IQ botard.

870998[/snapback]

First, of all my IQ is 131. Secondly, my intention is not to create rumours, rather it is opinion based on observations for the severe lack of press the Bills received before and after this little impressive run. Call me jackass, bo-tard or whatever, but this is a forum for discussion. If you don't agree with it, it's your problem.

What's your IQ?

What's your IQ?

871118[/snapback]

Would you believe him if he said anything above 131?

That's why no one believes you. And it's probably a good idea to not believe you, since anyone with an actual IQ of 131 would have enough intelligence quotient to know how stupid that was to post on a message board.

Let's kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  Solve the bitching about the blackout and solve the revenue shortfall. Block off 10K seats and increase ticket prices by at least 50%.  This will boost ticket revenue by a significant amount.  I'll gamble there are 60K die hards in Buffalo that will pay the higher prices without blinking and this will get the games on TV. 

Also, raise the price of parking.  The least expensive stadium parking here in Chicago for a Bear's game is $40.  $100 a game for premium parking.  Really. 

871069[/snapback]

Why not just do what they do at USC with the retired jerseys. Rip out the seats and have sort of Bills art or stadium signage up there?