Josh Reed...

I saw him lined up in the backfield a few times today in passing situations, and it dawned on me that I think he'd be a perfect 3rd down back.

Way too quick for linebackers, no real speed to beat a CB on an intermediate/deep route, pretty good blocker, very good at running after the catch.

What are his biggest flaws? Speed and hands. As a 3rd down back he's be faster than his average counterpart at the position, and have good enough hands on dump-off/screen passes. Maybe it's too far into his career to make a full conversion but I think it's something they should look into- especially since, if he's out there, Parrish can't really be used in the slot unless they go to a 4WR set.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it might be worth a shot- granted, I'm drunk, but I can't remember the last time one of our running backs picked up a 1st down on a 3rd down reception.

He was WR/RB at LSU under Saban, so it's not crazy - I was hoping they'd use him a bit when Willis went down.

870236[/snapback]

I heard that on the ride home tonight that Reed used to be a RB in College

Its nice to have these guys that can play multiple positions. Reed WR/RB, Wire CB(somewhat)/LB, etc.

Way too quick for linebackers, no real speed to beat a CB on an intermediate/deep route, pretty good blocker, very good at running after the catch.

870214[/snapback]

Great Idea! And hey this para in particular shouts screen pass all day.

Also would be a great receiver for JP on a roll out - y'know get into the space behind the Defensive line, make the OLB commit to JP(with the roll out), and then get in behind that linebacker (keep away style) - JP drops it over the LB head and there's no one to stop JR but Defensive backs - and we all saw how well that worked out for Miami last Sunday :nana: =TD for JR. You could run that with Royal and JR and have two options - they can only cover one - plus if they cover Royal you have an instant lineman type blocker already set up! Cornerbacks=die. :rolleyes:

I am not saying that I came up with the idea, because there is no way the coaches would listen to us, but during one of those offseason rants that we do, i suggested giving him his old number 25 back, and making him a 3rd down back.

high five