Quite possibly the dumbest rule ever

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

its not a fumble if he didnt control it.i think the league is gonna mea culpa about this one.

870169[/snapback]

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!--misread you guys--thought it was behind the line of scrimmage.Of course it was a good call.Live ball which the chargers recovered.

Mea Culpa!!

How does touching a ball = possession?

I think based on the fact that the ball was blocked behind the line of scrimmage, that should negate the punt rules for that play.

Just a bad rule IMO.

870051[/snapback]

It's the same thing as if the punt traveled, untouched, 65 yards and was touched, but not captured, by a Kansas City player. KC touched the ball on its side of the line of scrimmage, but did not control the ball. As it sat on the ground, a SD recovered what was a fumble. SD ball.

I think if you're going to bother trying that, you might as well just put the offense back on the field and go for it. Relying on an incredibly well placed punt, a lucky bounce, and mass confusion doesn't really sound like a good strategy when you could, um, attempt a pass instead. :nana:

870149[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Sorry... Must fight the urge to get political... Must not use the war... MUST FIGHT THE URGE!

:nana:

While we are talking about crazy rules we dont understand, Onside Kicks.

If the ball goes 10 yards, it can be recovered by the kicking team, even if the other team never touches it. Yet if you kick the ball downfield, it bounces around, and the kicking team downs it, do the same rules apply? I swear i have seen cases where the kicking team has downed the ball.

I figure this is a good place to put this, since i cant look like much more of a fool than some others in this thread.

If the ball goes 10 yards, it can be recovered by the kicking team, even if the other team never touches it.  Yet if you kick the ball downfield, it bounces around, and the kicking team downs it, do the same rules apply?  I swear i have seen cases where the kicking team has downed the ball.

I figure this is a good place to put this, since i cant look like much more of a fool than some others in this thread.

870193[/snapback]

on a kickoff??

if kicking team recovers it there ball

If the ball goes 10 yards, it can be recovered by the kicking team, even if the other team never touches it.  Yet if you kick the ball downfield, it bounces around, and the kicking team downs it, do the same rules apply?  I swear i have seen cases where the kicking team has downed the ball.

870193[/snapback]

Yes... Of course... In that case it is the kicking teams' ball... On kickoffs, you make that "fair catch" signal... YOU BETTER CATCH IT or let it bounce into the EZ for a TB! Either way, you can't let it bounce around in the field of play... :rolleyes:

Is it called the LOS on kickoffs? I don't think it is? For the life of me another term is escaping me...

870193[/snapback]

Think back to our game against Minnesota earlier this year....

(The Bills had a successful 40 yard onside kick ruined by a bogus call by the officials)

If the ball goes 10 yards, it can be recovered by the kicking team, even if the other team never touches it.  Yet if you kick the ball downfield, it bounces around, and the kicking team downs it, do the same rules apply?

870193[/snapback]

Same rules apply. Kicking team would get the ball. The kicking team cannot "down" a kickoff. They get possession of any ball they recover past the 10 yard mark.

Can't blame the Chief who touched it, it's instinct for a pro football player to try to make a play on the ball. It was bad luck mostly, and in my opinion a dumb rule- if a punt is blocked or tipped it should have to be advanced past the line to gain for the first down for the kicking team to retain possession.

Still, it's not the dumbest rule ever- that distinction would go to the "unconscious guy that got jacked up by Nate Clements touching the ball with his helmet while his feet were out of bounds, Patriots retain possession" rule from that Buffalo-NE OT game back in 2000 or 2001 or whatever.