Update: Blacked Out

5,200 and counting.  With a balmy day for December standards coming on Sunday, I say this one sells out easy.

866189[/snapback]

So, that's roughly 68,000 tickets sold, and if they don't sell the 5000 more it's a blackout. But the fuggin' NE Paytoilets' stadium holds 68,000 and change, so they would have sold out with that many tickets and they draw from a six state region. The blackout rules are total sh--. Next time some bandwagon Pats fan starts jawing about sellouts punch him in the fuggin' face.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, that's roughly 68,000 tickets sold, and if they don't sell the 5000 more it's a blackout.  But the fuggin' NE Paytoilets' stadium holds 68,000 and change, so they would have sold out with that many tickets and they draw from a six state region.  The blackout rules are total sh--.  Next time some bandwagon Pats fan starts jawing about sellouts punch him in the fuggin' face.

866495[/snapback]

Living as you do in a land of Pats fans I hope you're holding up your end of the bargain. Punch a few more for me, for good measure.

So, that's roughly 68,000 tickets sold, and if they don't sell the 5000 more it's a blackout.  But the fuggin' NE Paytoilets' stadium holds 68,000 and change, so they would have sold out with that many tickets and they draw from a six state region.  The blackout rules are total sh--.  Next time some bandwagon Pats fan starts jawing about sellouts punch him in the fuggin' face.

866495[/snapback]

So "tickets sold" has exceeded the capacity of about half the stadiums in the league.

WE SUCK! :censored:

I hope they move the deadline to Friday.

I would like to tape the game, even though I am lucky enough to be going this week.

So "tickets sold" has exceeded the capacity of about half the stadiums in the league.

WE SUCK!  :censored:

866728[/snapback]

Yup. I'll look for a list of stadium capacities for the entire league when I have more time, but I'm pretty sure 68,000 would be enough to fill a lot of them.

Yup.  I'll look for a list of stadium capacities for the entire league when I have more time, but I'm pretty sure 68,000 would be enough to fill a lot of them.

866765[/snapback]

UPDATE for anyone that cares:

Here's the stadium capacities (Stadiums of the NFL).

Twenty six of the other stadiums have capacities below that of the Buffalo Bills (if the website's numbers are correct).

Yep, the numbers are correct.  And the Bills have currently sold more tickets than the capacities of half of them.

866781[/snapback]

So then Ralph should build a new stadium to be smaller....say, 60,000 seats plus numerous suites/boxes. :oops:

This is such a joke - why do the big markets/popular teams build stadiums smaller than such a small-market team?

So then Ralph should build a new stadium to be smaller....say, 60,000 seats plus numerous suites/boxes.    :oops:

This is such a joke - why do the big markets/popular teams build stadiums smaller than such a small-market team?

866981[/snapback]

Supply and Demand. If they have less product for a huge demand (i.e. less seats for a large market), they can charge more for a product and still sell out. A stadium like RWS can't charge as much as a large market can because they would not be able to sell out. They need to keep prices low to bring in more people.

866981[/snapback]

Maybe because they can charge more $/seat? Perhaps the Bills need more seats to try and equalize the ticket revenue from other stadiums.

Maybe because they can charge more $/seat? Perhaps the Bills need more seats to try and equalize the ticket revenue from other stadiums.

867034[/snapback]

The point of the blackout was to force people to go to the games, rather than sit home and watch them. But if the league is going to use the "fill the seats" criteria, the Bills should not be penalized for having more of them for a smaller market. No where has the league said "We want you to generate this amount of money per home game, or we're going to black your populace out." It's a crap rule. Either force other teams to build equal size stadiums (which is absurd, because you can't build 26 new stadiums) or call a certain number of seats acceptable. If the Bills sell 70,000 seats, that's better than 19 other teams at capacity.

The bills should pull an Oakland A's move and "remove" 5-10,000 seats by covering them up, allowing them to be uncovered in the playoffs or in the future. I'm sure the league doesn't allow "Flex-seating" in terms of the blackout rule, so it isn't like you could adjust it each week, but it is a thought.

That said, it is sad when a small market sells more tickets than 2/3rds of the teams can, and gets blacked out anyway.

Blackout Looms: The first blackout of a Bills-Dolphins game at Ralph Wilson Stadium since 1987 looms. As of last night there are 5,200 tickets available. The team has sold over 1,500 since Monday but that won't be enough to lift the TV blackout by today's 1pm deadline. So unless a corporation buys the remaining tickets the Bills will have their third straight blackout, that doesn't bode well for a franchise who's future in Western New York is fragile at best.

This team looks like it's on it's way out of western NY if this keeps up. :oops:

Maybe there is a local push for common sense.

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local/local..._348200457.html

Face it! Miami and Buffalo are no longer a rivalry...if they ever were.

867593[/snapback]

OMFG, if the "short attention span theater" columns at the Gazette are now the epitome of common sense, then we are all doomed. Not just the Bills, but the entire freaking civilized world.

OMFG, if the "short attention span theater" columns at the Gazette are now the epitome of common sense, then we are all doomed. Not just the Bills, but the entire freaking civilized world.

867601[/snapback]

And once again another post criticizing the messenger...but giving no reason why.

Why? Because it is the Gazette?

For over 40 years the Buffalo News and the local TV and radio stations have kissed Ralph's ass at every turn, saying he can do no wrong and starting a push for him to make the Hall of Fame for some reason so when he blows it big time by sticking us in a boring division with no natural rivals the fans are too conditioned by the media to B word about it.

Why, Joey?

Two responses: I had to attack the Gazette because the Niagara Gazette, which once was an actual city newspaper with its own identity (which I also used to deliver) is now an embarassingly shoddy newspaper folded into a conglomerate that has little real connection to the city and whose sports section relies on the AP rather than having to pay actual people to cover local sports.

My anger at the decimation of the Gazette (which reflects the destruction of my home town so accurately that it is frightening) is only intensified by the laughable nature of these "columns" they publish of only two paragraphs in which one of the few living staff members speaks out of his sphincter with all the depth of an internet message board.

Now, to claim that Ralph has only been ballwashed by the local media is something than can only be said by someone with no historical sense. He has taken his share of beatings from the News and elsewhere. That same lack of historical sense is what makes people forget that this AFC East is very close to the original AFL East, with Miami (who joined the AFL in 1966) replacing Houston. I would think that historical rivalries have some merit, and am appalled that people want to throw them aside just because the Bills recent lack of success has devalued the games for the moment. Does that mean Ralph has never been wrong? Not at all. But in this case, I applaud his decision to stick with the traditional division.

The only franchise I can think of that has purposely gone division whoring over the years seeking new advantage at every turn is the Toronto Maple Leafs. The thought of the Bills following that example makes me intensely nauseated.

And once again another post criticizing the messenger...but giving no reason why.

Why? Because it is the Gazette?

For over 40 years the Buffalo News and the local TV and radio stations have kissed Ralph's ass at every turn, saying he can do no wrong and starting a push for him to make the Hall of Fame for some reason so when he blows it big time by sticking us in a boring division with no natural rivals the fans are too conditioned by the media to B word about it.

867613[/snapback]

Why, Joey?

Two responses: I had to attack the Gazette because the Niagara Gazette, which once was an actual city newspaper with its own identity (which I also used to deliver) is now an embarassingly shoddy newspaper folded into a conglomerate that has little real connection to the city and whose sports section relies on the AP rather than having to pay actual people to cover local sports.

My anger at the decimation of the Gazette (which reflects the destruction of my home town so accurately that it is frightening) is only intensified by the laughable nature of these "columns" they publish of only two paragraphs in which one of the few living staff members speaks out of his sphincter with all the depth of an internet message board.

Now, to claim that Ralph has only been ballwashed by the local media is something than can only be said by someone with no historical sense. He has taken his share of beatings from the News and elsewhere. That same lack of historical sense is what makes people forget that this AFC East is very close to the original AFL East, with Miami (who joined the AFL in 1966) replacing Houston. I would think that historical rivalries have some merit, and am appalled that people want to throw them aside just because the Bills recent lack of success has devalued the games for the moment. Does that mean Ralph has never been wrong? Not at all. But in this case, I applaud his decision to stick with the traditional division.

The only franchise I can think of that has purposely gone division whoring over the years seeking new advantage at every turn is the Toronto Maple Leafs. The thought of the Bills following that example makes me intensely nauseated.

867622[/snapback]

You sound like The writers from the Niagara Falls Reporter when you criticize the Gazette. Sure I know the paper's lame (we call it the Weekly Reader) but that doesn't mean their case to get us out of the AFC Least isn't valid.

Does anyone outside of Buffalo (and yes that includes Miami) think this is one of the great rivalries in sports? Usually when I see a Miami Bills game in Miami on the tube you can see the oceans and oceans of empty seats at Pro Player. Given what has happened this week with Buffalo unable to sell out against a supposed heated "rival" in a game with playoff implications should tell you this thing is as dead as the dodo.

Time to put it out of its misery and shout to the powers that be to put us in the North with the rest of the lunch bucket teams. I'm sorry but seeing the Steelers Black and Gold and the Brownies classic orange and white does a lot more for me than watching Miami mince around in Aqua in 80 degree temps. Browns and Steelers are much more REAL football than Miami could ever hope to be. A think Buffalo fans, given an option, would much rather be a part of that.

As for history uh yeah next time do a little research. The original Browns were in the old AAFC back in the forties with......you guessed it the Bills. When the Browns moved to the NFL after the demise of the AAFC they took a lot of the old Bills players with them. Additionally Rochester used to be considered much more of a Brown's town than a Bills town.