Losman Red Zone Efficiency

bartshan-83

I was just looking at Losman's splits on ESPN.com in response to another thread on this board discussing a comparison between him and Jake Plummer. While checking it out, I just noticed his redzone #s were daaaamn good. It's been awhile since we had a QB who didn't sht his pants near the endzone.

Too bad we have only been in the redzone 26 times (3rd last). I mean, we have only scored TDs half of the time, so by no means is JP crushing it. But his numbers ain't too shabby.

17-25 68.0% 7 TDs 0 INTs 117.7 rating....plus 1 rushing TD.

Rating compared to the top 5 rated QBs:

Romo: 98.6

Manning: 90.0

Palmer: 101.3

Huard: 101.5

Brees: 72.5

Could mean nothing, but I thought it was pretty cool.

I was just looking at Losman's splits on ESPN.com in response to another thread on this board discussing a comparison between him and Jake Plummer.  While checking it out, I just noticed his redzone #s were daaaamn good.  It's been awhile since we had a QB who didn't sht his pants near the endzone.

Too bad we have only been in the redzone 26 times (3rd last).  I mean, we have only scored TDs half of the time, so by no means is JP crushing it.  But his numbers ain't too shabby.

17-25 68.0% 7 TDs 0 INTs 117.7 rating....plus 1 rushing TD.

Rating compared to the top 5 rated QBs:

Romo: 98.6

Manning: 90.0

Palmer: 101.3

Huard: 101.5

Brees: 72.5

860602[/snapback]

Its funny because a few threads ago you said I liked to start a new thread whenever something popped into my head. This is your 5th thread in the past 2 days and your "threads to replys" ratio is dipping lower. Go figure.

it's cool, but we also havent passed a ton in the few red zone situations. with our rb's inability to get first downs in the red zone, our td ratio goes way down.

our play calling is still suspect, but when given the opportunity i think jp has played pretty well.

Its funny because a few threads ago you said I liked to start a new thread whenever something popped into my head. This is your 5th thread in the past 2 days and your "threads to replys" ratio is dipping lower. Go figure.

860611[/snapback]

:wallbash:

I like that you are keeping track of my ratios. If you're bored, I can give you some more work to do.

I'd be inclined to file that under "mean nothing".

He's only had 25 attempts, so any #s really aren't too statisitically relevent.

I think you'll find the high rating is attributable mostly to the fact that he has no Ints, whereas he 'should' have about 1. Were it to be the other way, i.e. 2 Ints, that would lower his rating to sub-std.

Frankly, I'm rather surprised that those other Qbs aren't better than they are. In the Red Zone, you'd figure they're TD %age would be MUCH higher than on passes from other areas of the field.

I think you'll find the high rating is attributable mostly to the fact that he has no Ints, whereas he 'should' have about 1.  Were it to be the other way, i.e. 2 Ints, that would lower his rating to sub-std.

Frankly, I'm rather surprised that those other Qbs aren't better than they are.  In the Red Zone, you'd figure they're TD %age would be MUCH higher than on passes from other areas of the field.

860662[/snapback]

No doubt...it's more interesting than meaningful. I was surprised too about the other QBs. I think where he beats them for the most part is completion %. Manning 55%? Brees 47%?

I think it is a self-fulfilling prophecy for the most part though. As mentioned, Jauron keeps it safe and wants to get in on the ground. Guys like Manning are expected to make plays in the redzone which could lead to more forced passes.

But whatever...even if it means nothing, I'm glad it's a good rating and not a shtty one. :wallbash:

No doubt...it's more interesting than meaningful.  I was surprised too about the other QBs.  I think where he beats them for the most part is completion %.  Manning 55%?  Brees 47%?

I think it is a self-fulfilling prophecy for the most part though.  As mentioned, Jauron keeps it safe and wants to get in on the ground.  Guys like Manning are expected to make plays in the redzone which could lead to more forced passes.

But whatever...even if it means nothing, I'm glad it's a good rating and not a shtty one. :wallbash:

860667[/snapback]

I'd agree; it's probably not too meaningful given the number of attempts. I'd equate it to the Tackle that has 2 receptions both for touchdowns. Is he a great receiver in the endzone? No one would say that.

However, it is definitely good to see some positive numbers and further points to the potential that JP has.

I think you'll find the high rating is attributable mostly to the fact that he has no Ints, whereas he 'should' have about 1.  Were it to be the other way, i.e. 2 Ints, that would lower his rating to sub-std.

Frankly, I'm rather surprised that those other Qbs aren't better than they are.  In the Red Zone, you'd figure they're TD %age would be MUCH higher than on passes from other areas of the field.

860662[/snapback]

That's some bassackwards logic if I ever saw it.

Not statistically relevant? 25 attempts in an area of the field that is cramped because of real estate limitations without a pick? Bledsoe is good for 1 pick every 3 attempts in the red zone -- is that relevant?

He 'should' have a pick? Please direct me to the 'should' statistics page on NFL.com; I'm sure there are some interesting numbers over there.

He 'should' have a pick? Please direct me to the 'should' statistics page on NFL.com; I'm sure there are some interesting numbers over there.

What I meant by that is roughly speaking, a QB will have about a 3% INT %age.

On 25 passes, that's 0.6, or rounded up to 1. (Outside the RZ, Losman is ~3.3%, which equates to about 0.8 if that stat remained consistent.)

The mmore disturbing conclusioin is that for all those passes in the red zone, very few are actually thrown into the end zone. Bills have a mysterious aversion of attacking the end zone and actually attempting to score TDs.

Stats show that teams score a higher percentage of passing TDs