Early draft talk

JM57

"Jake Long is the next in a long line of great Michigan o-lineman and he will be a perfect fit as a right tackle in the pros. "

He's 6'7, 315 or so, and if you've watched any Michigan games this season, I'm sure you've seen that he's an absolute monster.

And before you argue "Not ANOTHER O-lineman in the 1st round"--remember that Texas' track record in the pros doesn't hold a candle to Michigan's, ESPECIALLY on the offensive line.

http://www.mgoblue.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=2141...el=3&season=983

"Jake Long is the next in a long line of great Michigan o-lineman and he will be a perfect fit as a right tackle in the pros. "

He's 6'7, 315 or so, and if you've watched any Michigan games this season, I'm sure you've seen that he's an absolute monster.

And before you argue "Not ANOTHER O-lineman in the 1st round"--remember that Texas' track record in the pros doesn't hold a candle to Michigan's, ESPECIALLY on the offensive line.

860495[/snapback]

Yes, some claim he is better than his predicessor Steve Hutchison! No doubt a cornerstone waiting to happen!

I rank Jake Long as the 2nd best Offensive Lineman available in the draft behind Joe Thomas. I think Long is world's better than Sam Baker.

If he's there he should definitely be heavily considered. Although with the way the offensive line has been playing since "the switch", I don't know that it's still our biggest need.

The Left and Center are solid. The Right side could use some experience in my opinion. I don't want to disrupt the chemistry and foundation that's being built there. I'd like to see us get a big name veteran in FA and call it a day.

There's been so many "can't miss" OL drafted into busts over the years (I.E. Mike Williams, Leonard Davis, and Robert Gallery). I'd venture to say they're the riskiest position to invest a high pick in.

But we'll see.

I'd rather have Calvin Thompson or Barret. This team needs more playmakers; especially since they don't utilize the only playmaker we have in Evans enough by moving him around ala Steve Smith! Besides if we want to address the LOS, we need a run stuffing DT way more than we need help on the line. Since there are true stud tackles in this draft, I wouldn't take any in the 1st; maybe a tackle or guard in the 2nd.

I'd rather have Calvin Thompson or Barret. This team needs more playmakers; especially since they don't utilize the only playmaker we have in Evans enough by moving him around ala Steve Smith! Besides if we want to address the LOS, we need a run stuffing DT way more than we need help on the line. Since there are true stud tackles in this draft, I wouldn't take any in the 1st; maybe a tackle or guard in the 2nd.

860508[/snapback]

I agree.

But it's Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Jarrett :wallbash:

860495[/snapback]

roy williams ... vince young ... quentin jammer ... nathan vasher ... casey hampton ... shaun rogers ... priest holmes ... ricky williams ... bobby lane ... raymond clayborn ... lam jones ... earl campbell ... jerry sisemore ... doug english ... etc.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pag...os/probowl.html

the point is that this is a myth, and it's entirely and completely irrelevant to drafting individuals.

roy williams ... vince young ... quentin jammer ... nathan vasher ... casey hampton ... shaun rogers ... priest holmes ... ricky williams ... bobby lane ... raymond clayborn ... lam jones ... earl campbell ... jerry sisemore ... doug english ... etc.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pag...os/probowl.html

the point is that this is a myth, and it's entirely and completely irrelevant to drafting individuals.

860514[/snapback]

How many of the peple that you just listed are offensive linemen?

860508[/snapback]

I'd like a DT that stuffs an opposing OL or two... :wallbash:

I'd like a DT that stuffs an opposing OL or two... :wallbash:

860524[/snapback]

We all know we're not going to draft O-line OR D-line in the 1st round if we let Nate walk.

So I'm just dreaming with this thread

How many of the peple that you just listed are offensive linemen?

860518[/snapback]

"Texas' track record in the pros doesn't hold a candle to Michigan's, ESPECIALLY on the offensive line".

You were making a statement. He attacked the first part of the statement, not necessarily the offensive line part.

I would be really happy with J. Long.  The Bills have no running game.  I am not sure whether that is the guards or the RT, but Long will be an upgrade at either position.

860543[/snapback]

I'd like to see Steinbach in FA and Long in the draft. What we do with the other guard, I don't care. Long is a monster, plain and simple./

"Texas' track record in the pros doesn't hold a candle to Michigan's, ESPECIALLY on the offensive line".

You were making a statement.  He attacked the first part of the statement, not necessarily the offensive line part.

860534[/snapback]

This is true. I'm just saying I emphasized offensive line.

How awesome would it be for our line to get an olineman like this guy and then sign, yeah, actually sign a good free agent LG (Steinbach).

Why does it make so much sense and then we won't do it? This is assuming that Ralph pries his wallet out and keeps Clements or is able to sign another CB.

We would have four solid starters on the oline, a young oline at that. The need there is so glaring, so obvious.

Please Marv, convince the old bird to shell out some cash

If there is a better player, I'm still for putting O-Line over D-Line, especially with McCargo coming back. I'd still like a D-Lineman, but not #1 unless he is really an exceptional talent and better than the other positions available at our pick.

That said we have to balance our needs vs. what is available. I think I'd be fine upgrading LG, RG, or RT with Peters and Fowler being locks right now. The question is which of those best helps our team for the future? Gandy is what he is, and probably doesn't have a lot of gas left, but has seemed okay at guard. Pennington has shown potential, especially in pass protection, and is young and talented.

Right now I think RG is our #1 priority, with Preston moving back to multi-position backup. But of course if the best tackle available is better than the best guard available, I'd rather have the better player.

That said, I would be very happy with Long joining our team, and think he could be one of the top options if he is available.

Who is the better starter in people's opinions based on the last month or so? Preston at RG or Pennington at RT? I personally think it is more likely that Pennington could be the star in the making than Preston, given that Preston has been around without making an impact or stealing a spot, and Pennington is younger with more physical skills. What do you guys think?

Although with the way the offensive line has been playing since "the switch", I don't know that it's still our biggest need.

860506[/snapback]

Let me help you out.......yes it is. I need all ten digits to count the number of times in the past 13 years that we went into the offseason optimistic that our patchwork offensieve line was "good enough" after the unit showed some improvement in the second half. Only to get another disaster. History has shown us that every dogass lineman has his day, but muts like Ross Tucker and Lawrence Smith don't get it done over the long haul.

I'd like a DT that stuffs an opposing OL or two... :nana:

860524[/snapback]

That would be great, I a big fan of a having an interior D-Line with two huge run stuffers. You have that and you can just fill in the blanks everywhere else and play the style that suits the rest of the talent. But this team plays a true one-gap attacking defense, they avoid OL, not stuff them. Great one-gap DT's, who can stuff the run and rush the passer, are hard to find. But tweener DT/DE's are usually kicking around for cheap. They don't stop the run for you, but they look fast not doing it.