Bills currently picking 14th

http://www.nfldraftforecast.com/draft/order.shtml

As much as I loved the streak we were on, I think we'll be damn lucky to win two of the next four games.

1.) New York Jets on the Road: The Jets are on a helluva roll right now. They're 7-5 and are running on all cylinders. They annhilated Brett and the Packers last week on the road. They know that their last 4 games are against teams under .500. They smell the playoffs.

2.) Miami Dolphins at Home: This is probably the best chance we have at a win and I expect them to pull it out. But it won't be as easy as we thought it would be. Joey Harrington is emerging as their QB and Ronnie Brown is a terror on the ground.

3.) Tennessee Titans at Home: Wow, this kid thinks he's back in Texas. And their RB is running better than he ever did in Buffalo. He'll have a little more steam in his step returning to the Ralph. By the way, they just handed Peyton only his 2nd loss of the season.

4.) Baltimore Ravens on the Road: This game looked like it was going to be the Bills starters against the Ravens reserves. Unfortunately, after the Ravens loss to the Bengals and what seems like a million AFC teams driving for a playoff berth; Baltimore will be playing for something.

NOW you'll notice that Buffalo is currently sitting at 14. But what a lot of people haven't noticed is that this year is different than the last couple years in that most teams are winning more. So there isn't a whole lot seperating the teams.

As a matter of fact, the difference between Buffalo picking at 14 and Houston picking at 5 is one win! Last year we picked at 8 with a record of 5-11. This year's 8 could be someone with a record of 6-10 or 7-9.

Another thing to look at is the playoff picture. 12 teams make it to the playoffs every year. With Buffalo not making it, they won't be picking any lower than 20. But again, with the way the AFC is playing out; teams with a record of 10-6 or 9-7 will just barely miss. So it's pretty much impossible that we'll be picking at the higher end of 15.

I predict we finish the season 7-9 (although 6-10 is a DEFINITE possibility) and will be picking at 10 or 11. With that said, here's a look at the top 13 players, in no particular order (Jr's included are pretty much locks to come out):

Brady Quinn, QB Notre Dame

Joe Thomas, OT Wisconsin

Calvin Johnson, WR Georgia Tech (Jr.)

Adrian Peterson, RB Oklahoma (Jr.)

Ted Ginn Jr., WR Ohio State (Jr.)

Dwayne Jarrett, WR USC (Jr.)

Marshawn Lynch, RB California (Jr.)

Alan Branch, DT Michigan (Jr.)

Paul Poluzsny, LB Penn State

Gaines Adams, DE Clemson

Jake Long, OT Michigan (Jr.)

Leon Hall, CB Michigan

Troy Smith, QB Ohio State (or) JaMarcus Russell, QB LSU (Jr.) [One or both will be a top pick]

Now with the exception of the QB's (I pray J.P. is the guy), I would kill to have any of those guys. And with the way things are playing out, we will :D

EDIT: Here's a pic I found that someone made of Dwayne Jarrett. I really can't argue with that thought:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f212/ste...rrett_bills.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at your list...

I would go for:

Joe Thomas

Calvin Johnson

Jake Long

And yes, Ronnie Brown is out.

857801[/snapback]

Thanks for the heads up on Ronnie.

CJ and Thomas are guaranteed to both be gone by the time we pick (save a trade up). Long should be there though.

Just for laughs around here, I would go with

Leon Hall, CB Michigan  :D

857803[/snapback]

Yeah, other than the QB's that's probably the last guy on the list i'd want. But if we don't get Nate back and we can't get Asante Samuel or another viable veteran we may have to go secondary again. Especially with the unfortunate circumstances surrounding what happened with Ashton Youboty's rookie season. God knows what we have there.

With the exception of the Ohio State game, Leon Hall has looked superb all year. He's unquestionably the top CB.

You know there will be some late risers to even cloud this list further too. I love our chances for a true impact player too if the right pick fell to us. I definitley like the area we are currently picking.

857809[/snapback]

This is going to be a helluva draft. I like the prospects a lot more than 2006's superstar draft.

There will definitely be some late risers (ala Jay Cutler). Both QB's on the bottom of my list are guys I project to be late risers. Most people write off Troy Smith as a top pick because of his height (around 5'11"). But I think after he wins the Heisman on Saturday and if he has a decent Championship game, he'll get the Vince Young treatment.

JaMarcus Russell is unquestionably the top Jr. QB prospect (especially since Louisville QB Brian Brohm decided to stay in school). When scouts get a gander at his size and rocket arm, they'll start drooling around February and he'll fly up the charts.

Although, I have to disagree with your signature. Levi Brown and Sam Baker are two guys I DEFINITELY don't want us to pick. I don't think Baker will come out. Especially if Long does. He was dreadful in the UCLA game and he has never really impressed me. Brown is another guy that is pretty overrated in my opinion. He's a RT prospect who is a hit or miss guy. If he doesn't work at RT, you're pretty much screwed. I like Justin Blalock better than both of those players. Blalock is a natural OG with the size and athleticism to be put anywhere on the line.

I have actually warmed up to Blaylock a lot since my last signiture change! :lol: I too think him having the potential to play RT or either guard position makes him a very solid pick. It's just I'm gunshy a little bit with Texas Olineman, but who isn't!?!?!?!?!? :lol: I just have to get past that and update my signiture acordingly. :D

I have actually warmed up to Blaylock a lot since my last signiture change! :lol:  I too think him having the potential to play RT or either guard position makes him a very solid pick. It's just I'm gunshy a little bit with Texas Olineman, but who isn't!?!?!?!?!? :lol:  I just have to get past that and update my signiture acordingly. :D

857846[/snapback]

lol I hear ya on the Texas thing.

But honestly, I don't know if going OL is the way to go with our 1st pick anymore. The past few games the OL has REALLY come on well (and against very good D-Lines). J.P. has been getting a LOT of time to pass. I don't know if we should blow up the line. They seem to be getting some chemistry.

I think our problem is lack of firepower. Outside of Lee Evans (who is blanketed every game) we really don't have much. Price makes an occasional play and Parrish isn't an every down WR. McGahee is't consistent and next year's the last year on his contract.

Don't be shocked to see a RB or WR. Especially with elite talents like Dwayne Jarrett and Marshawn Lynch most likely available when we pick.

Indeed Coach. Let's see how funny this is in April when Marv passes up a LB, DT, and/or OL and jumps on another 1st round db.

Would you be even a little bit surprised?

857883[/snapback]

Sadly, no.

But if he does go CB it had better be Leon Hall. I don't want him to reach for some guy whose a lower grade talent because he likes his character or how he watches film.

I'm leaning towards offensive firepower myself. The past few games the defense and offensive lines have looked phenomenal. But nothings getting done on offense.

But I could definitely see Paul Poluszny in Bills blue and you wouldn't hear me complaining one bit!

Indeed Coach. Let's see how funny this is in April when Marv passes up a LB, DT, and/or OL and jumps on another 1st round db.

Would you be even a little bit surprised?

857883[/snapback]

:D

I would rather see Nate re-signed.... but if not, I would much rather see a CB taken than a LB in the 1st round. LBs are a dime-a-dozen & fairly easy to fill thru FA.

My day 1 preferences:

1. DT

2. OG

3. WR or another OL or another DT.

i dont want another rookie O-lineman starting for us next season. if we get lineman they need to be quality skilled FA players that can open holes that i could run through.

1) resign Clements. Teams target and pick on McGee, i would be terrified if he was the #1 CB on the team. dont get me wrong, hes good and i like both his CB and kick return ability, but hes not a #1 corner.

2) DT. we need a penatrating DT in this cover 2 D, ok, but we also need him to stuff the run. so basically we need a great beast of a player who can do both stop the run and penatrate and disrupt the back field. we will not get a player like that in the draft. we drafted a DT in the 1st last year and he is supposed to be a penatrating DT. he will be usefull in the rotation. We need a Probowl runstopping DT, PERIOD. Tripplett is a good complamentary DT, but we need a guy who will demand a double team on both passing and run plays to free up our (in my mind) 3 probowl calaber players.

3) Will valarrial be back? he is out for the year and was supposed to be great when we signed him. i could see us signing 1 if not 2 FA big name OGs in the offseason.

4) TE. this is my wildcard. we need a Te that can catch 50-60 passes a season and create mismatches in the passing game and help more than a 3rd or 4th wr can in the run game. a stud DT is #1 on the list, looking for a TE should be #2. if there are none, then ok.. move on down the list, but if there is one out there that can make a serious impact on our team, i say we have to seriously look at getting him.

in the end, i think we should be set as a team BEFORE the draft. we can not be looking to have our 1st rounder fill a gap and start his rookie year like we did for several rookies this season. i would even be for trading our 1st rounder for a stud DT.

sign FA:

clements

DT

OG

OG

Draft:

Best player available to add depth to a roster spot.

http://www.nfldraftforecast.com/draft/order.shtml

As much as I loved the streak we were on, I think we'll be damn lucky to win two of the next four games.

1.) New York Jets on the Road: The Jets are on a helluva roll right now. They're 7-5 and are running on all cylinders. They annhilated Brett and the Packers last week on the road. They know that their last 4 games are against teams under .500. They smell the playoffs.

2.) Miami Dolphins at Home: This is probably the best chance we have at a win and I expect them to pull it out. But it won't be as easy as we thought it would be. Joey Harrington is emerging as their QB and Ronnie Brown is a terror on the ground.

3.) Tennessee Titans at Home: Wow, this kid thinks he's back in Texas. And their RB is running better than he ever did in Buffalo. He'll have a little more steam in his step returning to the Ralph. By the way, they just handed Peyton only his 2nd loss of the season.

4.) Baltimore Ravens on the Road: This game looked like it was going to be the Bills starters against the Ravens reserves. Unfortunately, after the Ravens loss to the Bengals and what seems like a million AFC teams driving for a playoff berth; Baltimore will be playing for something.

NOW you'll notice that Buffalo is currently sitting at 14. But what a lot of people haven't noticed is that this year is different than the last couple years in that most teams are winning more. So there isn't a whole lot seperating the teams.

As a matter of fact, the difference between Buffalo picking at 14 and Houston picking at 5 is one win! Last year we picked at 8 with a record of 5-11. This year's 8 could be someone with a record of 6-10 or 7-9.

Another thing to look at is the playoff picture. 12 teams make it to the playoffs every year. With Buffalo not making it, they won't be picking any lower than 20. But again, with the way the AFC is playing out; teams with a record of 10-6 or 9-7 will just barely miss. So it's pretty much impossible that we'll be picking at the higher end of 15.

I predict we finish the season 7-9 (although 6-10 is a DEFINITE possibility) and will be picking at 10 or 11. With that said, here's a look at the top 13 players, in no particular order (Jr's included are pretty much locks to come out):

Brady Quinn, QB Notre Dame

Joe Thomas, OT Wisconsin

Calvin Johnson, WR Georgia Tech (Jr.)

Adrian Peterson, RB Oklahoma (Jr.)

Ted Ginn Jr., WR Ohio State (Jr.)

Dwayne Jarrett, WR USC (Jr.)

Marshawn Lynch, RB California (Jr.)

Alan Branch, DT Michigan (Jr.)

Paul Poluzsny, LB Penn State

Gaines Adams, DE Clemson

Jake Long, OT Michigan (Jr.)

Leon Hall, CB Michigan

Troy Smith, QB Ohio State (or) JaMarcus Russell, QB LSU (Jr.) [One or both will be a top pick]

Now with the exception of the QB's (I pray J.P. is the guy), I would kill to have any of those guys. And with the way things are playing out, we will  :D

EDIT: Here's a pic I found that someone made of Dwayne Jarrett. I really can't argue with that thought:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f212/ste...rrett_bills.jpg

857795[/snapback]

Whatever record the Bills end up with, they will probably be tied with several other teams. The tie-breaker is strength of schedule. The teams with the weaker schedules get the higher pick, presumably because they must be worse to have the same record against worse competition. Buffalo's strength of schedule is very high(top 3 in league?) so they probably get the worst draft pick in any tie-breaker.