Worried About our Long Term Future With Jauron

JDG

There have been some positives this season, like reasonably hanging around the Colts and Chargers, and making the final scores of those games look closer than they really were, but on the other side of the equation is needing the last play of the game to beat Houston, losing to Detroit, and coming up with a ridiculous pass-happy gameplan against Chicago.

Ultimately, though, in this week's game Dick Jauron made lots of little mistakes that made an already-tough game even harder for the Bills to win.

1) On 4th and inches, Dick Jauron decides to not go for it, down by 10. (I also wonder if the play might not have been challengeable - I thought that we got a bad spot.) O.k., reasonable people can disagree on this one - especially since he's been burned on some bad 4th downs earlier this season. Dick Jauron also, for whatever reason, chose not to challenge a possible fumble early in the game as well.

2) After the big sideline catch, Dick Jauron took a timeout, and then decided during the timeout to conduct a challenge. That's pretty bad. What is absolutely unacceptable is that Dick Jauron did not have anyone on his staff in the coaches box who KNEW THE NFL RULES!!!! This play had an absolutely crystal-clear replay angle with it, and Dick Jauron's staff had a full timeout to look at the replay - at minimum, all they had to do was watch the CBS feed of the game. It is essential for his staff to be able to make an accurate "red flag" recommendation to him when they have a full timeout to review the play. It is sad to me that the Bills beat writers are slow to criticize Dick Jauron for this, since most sportswriters don't know the rules - but Ralph Wilson is spending hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of our ticket revenues on Dick Jauron's staff. Is it really so much to ask that Dick Jauron hire a staff who KNOWS THE NFL RULES??!!!!????!!!!??? Ed Hochuli knew the rules, surely the Buffalo Bills can hire someone who knows the rules.

3) Speaking of not knowing the rules, at the end of the first half, the Bills were stopped just shy of a 1st down deep in their own end, and San Diego quickly called a timeout. The referees, however, decided to conduct a measurement, and so San Diego was not charged a timeout. What the Bills inexplicably forgot, however, is that after this measurement, the clock starts again!!! Instead, the Bills went ahead and snapped the ball for the punt without thinking - giving the Chargers just enough time to score a touchdown before the half in a game that they ultimately won by three points.

Yes, this is just a little thing, but little things win football games - and right now, I am not convinced that Dick Jauron is doing them....

JDG

There have been some positives this season, like reasonably hanging around the Colts and Chargers, and making the final scores of those games look closer than they really were, but on the other side of the equation is needing the last play of the game to beat Houston, losing to Detroit, and coming up with a ridiculous pass-happy gameplan against Chicago.

Ultimately, though, in this week's game Dick Jauron made lots of little mistakes that made an already-tough game even harder for the Bills to win.

1) On 4th and inches, Dick Jauron decides to not go for it, down by 10.  (I also wonder if the play might not have been challengeable - I thought that we got a bad spot.)  O.k., reasonable people can disagree on this one - especially since he's been burned on some bad 4th downs earlier this season.  Dick Jauron also, for whatever reason, chose not to challenge a possible fumble early in the game as well.

857252[/snapback]

If I remember correctly, wasn't the 4th and inches from near the bills endzone. Had they gone for it and not gotten it, SD would have had the ball deep in bills territory (almost garunteed 7 points). Yes I know they got it anyway, but had the bills gone for it Jauron would have been absolutely roasted.

1.) That call to not go for it was the correct call. It was on like the Bills 15 yard line. Not making it would have made a bad game at that point much worse. Remember, it was still the first half.

2.) From what I heard on WGR, the timeout was called by JP and then Jauron decided to throw the challenge flag. Granted, it was still a stupid waste of a timeout and Jauron should be chastised for it, but I don't think the timeout was called to decide whether to challenge or not.

3.) That was indeed a bad mistake. The Bills should have waited for the clock to start up again, and the confusion on the sidelines is unacceptable.

That being said, I'd much rather have Jauron and his staff who has been good at making adjustments and gameplans over any of the clowns we've had the past couple of times.

1) On 4th and inches, Dick Jauron decides to not go for it, down by 10.  (I also wonder if the play might not have been challengeable - I thought that we got a bad spot.)  O.k., reasonable people can disagree on this one - especially since he's been burned on some bad 4th downs earlier this season.  Dick Jauron also, for whatever reason, chose not to challenge a possible fumble early in the game as well.

2) After the big sideline catch, Dick Jauron took a timeout, and then decided during the timeout to conduct a challenge.  That's pretty bad.  What is absolutely unacceptable is that Dick Jauron did not have anyone on his staff in the coaches box who KNEW THE NFL RULES!!!!    This play had an absolutely crystal-clear replay angle with it, and Dick Jauron's staff had a full timeout to look at the replay - at minimum, all they had to do was watch the CBS feed of the game.  It is essential for his staff to be able to make an accurate "red flag" recommendation to him when they have a full timeout to review the play.  It is sad to me that the Bills beat writers are slow to criticize Dick Jauron for this, since most sportswriters don't know the rules - but Ralph Wilson is spending hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of our ticket revenues on Dick Jauron's staff.    Is it really so much to ask that Dick Jauron hire a staff who KNOWS THE NFL RULES??!!!!????!!!!???    Ed Hochuli knew the rules, surely the Buffalo Bills can hire someone who knows the rules. 

3) Speaking of not knowing the rules, at the end of the first half, the Bills were stopped just shy of a 1st down deep in their own end, and San Diego quickly called a timeout.  The referees, however, decided to conduct a measurement, and so San Diego was not charged a timeout.  What the Bills inexplicably forgot, however, is that after this measurement, the clock starts again!!!    Instead, the Bills went ahead and snapped the ball for the punt without thinking - giving the Chargers just enough time to score a touchdown before the half in a game that they ultimately won by three points.   

Yes, this is just a little thing, but little things win football games - and right now, I am not convinced that Dick Jauron is doing them....

JDG

857252[/snapback]

John, that was a well coached game, minus the TO when dealing with the horrible call by the refs on the clear reception by Price. They got down early, then got back in the game against a far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, ... far, far, far more talented team.

Re going for it on fourth down from their own 30 yard line when down by only 10, well ... I'm glad you're not the coach.

John, that was a well coached game, minus the TO when dealing with the horrible call by the refs on the clear reception by Price.  They got down early, then got back in the game against a far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, ... far, far, far more talented team. 

Re going for it on fourth down from their own 30 yard line when down by only 10, well ... I'm glad you're not the coach.

857380[/snapback]

Well, and I'm glad that you're not the coach. Under NFL Rules, that was *not* a catch. NFL Coaches are expected to have staffs that know the Rules. I don't think that they took a timeout to "think about it" - that would be beyond dumb - but after taking the timeout, they absolutely needed to get the challenge decision absolustely right. They did not.

And as for "getting back into the game", we never mounted a true offensive drive until the Chargers went into a prevent, and were, as usual, completely unable to get a defensive stop when we needed it.

JDG

Well, and I'm glad that you're not the coach.   Under NFL Rules, that was *not* a catch.   NFL Coaches are expected to have staffs that know the Rules.   I don't think that they took a timeout to "think about it" - that would be beyond dumb - but after taking the timeout, they absolutely needed to get the challenge decision absolustely right.   They did not.

And as for "getting back into the game", we never mounted a true offensive drive until the Chargers went into a prevent, and were, as usual, completely unable to get a defensive stop when we needed it.    

JDG

857404[/snapback]

John, under NFL rules - which, btw, went unenforced - Price was clearly (and I mean clearly) pushed out of bounds. It was a catch. I hope you don't think the next pass was actually "deflected" despite arriving in a clobbered Josh Reed's hands in a perfect tight spiral.

p.s. re getting back into the game, it was 17-14 with 8:09 left in the third quarter -- hardly prevent time!!

p.p.s. please factor into your response about not being able to get a stop the fact that the chargers, talentwise, are a far, far, far, ... (you get the point) more talented team.

Well, and I'm glad that you're not the coach.  Under NFL Rules, that was *not* a catch.  NFL Coaches are expected to have staffs that know the Rules.  I don't think that they took a timeout to "think about it" - that would be beyond dumb - but after taking the timeout, they absolutely needed to get the challenge decision absolustely right.  They did not.

JDG

857404[/snapback]

After thinking about this, I gotta say, fans focus *way* too much on one play when it involves a challenge rather than the full assortment of 130-140 plays. Basically, it's too goddamn easy for fans to focus on easy stuff like that, which in turns skews their view toward how well a game was coached. The Bills played probably the most talented team in the league, got down by 17, and almost came back *despite 8 clearly bad calls that hurt them while enjoying the fruits of precisely zero bad calls against the chargers*. but carry on: blame the coach.

After thinking about this, I gotta say, fans focus *way* too much on one play when it involves a challenge rather than the full assortment of 130-140 plays. Basically, it's too goddamn easy for fans to focus on easy stuff like that, which in turns skews their view toward how well a game was coached. The Bills played probably the most talented team in the league, got down by 17, and almost came back *despite 8 clearly bad calls that hurt them while enjoying the fruits of precisely zero bad calls against the chargers*. but carry on: blame the coach.

857439[/snapback]

Thank you.

John, under NFL rules - which, btw, went unenforced - Price was clearly (and I mean clearly) pushed out of bounds. It was a catch. I hope you don't think the next pass was actually "deflected" despite arriving in a clobbered Josh Reed's hands in a perfect tight spiral.

And it is up to Dick Jauron and his staff to know that no matter how badly the "push" call was blown by the officials, that that is just imply not reviewable.

p.s. re getting back into the game, it was 17-14 with 8:09 left in the third quarter -- hardly prevent time!!

I don't know what you are talking about here. The Bills' first dive of more than 30 yards on the day started with 3:19 left in the game, the Bills down by 10 and out of time outs. San Diego proceeded to give us all the dump-off passes we wanted, and we obliged by consuming all but 30 seconds of that time on our touchdown drive - even after being bailed out by an inexcusable fumble by a San Diego player who had just ended the game with his interception.

p.p.s. please factor into your response about not being able to get a stop the fact that the chargers, talentwise, are a far, far, far, ... (you get the point) more talented team.

857427[/snapback]

And so are the Texans presumably - well, I guess that we did inexplicably get a stop against them, even though they were average 6 yards a carry, and had a 3rd and 2 situation with less than two minutes lest.

But you are changing the subject,- I am talking about the little things that are necessary to win - the little things that Dick Jauron simply did not do. Fine, the Chargers are a more talented team, and even if Dick Jauron does all the little things the Bills would in all likelihood still lose the game to a more talented team. But you know what, someday the Bills are going to have more talent, and when that day games, having a Coach that does the little things correctly may well end up being the difference between making the playoffs and going home, or winning a playoff game and going home. The little things are important, and more often than that - they are easy enough to do, and should always be accomplished. All too often, in the National Football League, just one little thing can be the difference between winning and losing a close game.

You'll have to forgive me for not burying my head in the sand and giving Dick Jauron a free pass simply because he pulled a huge choke job on the little things against a more talented team.

JDG

And it is up to Dick Jauron and his staff to know that no matter how badly the "push" call was blown by the officials, that that is just imply not reviewable.

I don't know what you are talking about here.  The Bills' first dive of more than 30 yards on the day started with 3:19 left in the game, the Bills down by 10 and out of time outs.  San Diego proceeded to give us all the dump-off passes we wanted, and we obliged by consuming all but 30 seconds of that time on our touchdown drive - even after being bailed out by an inexcusable fumble by a San Diego player who had just ended the game with his interception.

And so are the Texans presumably - well, I guess that we did inexplicably get a stop against them, even though they were average 6 yards a carry, and had a 3rd and 2 situation with less than two minutes lest. 

But you are changing the subject,- I am talking about the little things that are necessary to win - the little things that Dick Jauron simply did not do.  Fine, the Chargers are a more talented team, and even if Dick Jauron does all the little things the Bills would in all likelihood still lose the game to a more talented team.  But you know what, someday the Bills are going to have more talent, and when that day games, having a Coach that does the little things correctly may well end up being the difference between making the playoffs and going home, or winning a playoff game and going home.  The little things are important, and more often than that - they are easy enough to do, and should always be accomplished.  All too often, in the National Football League, just one little thing can be the difference between winning and losing a close game.

You'll have to forgive me for not burying my head in the sand and giving Dick Jauron a free pass simply because he pulled a huge choke job on the little things against a more talented team.

JDG

857460[/snapback]

talk about changing the subject - it was 17-14 with 8 minutes to go in the third. turnovers and special teams are part of the game, btw, and not just flukes. re burying heads in the sand, feel free to continue to delude yourself that the bills' talent is any better than the raiders or the cardinals.

3) Speaking of not knowing the rules, at the end of the first half, the Bills were stopped just shy of a 1st down deep in their own end, and San Diego quickly called a timeout.  The referees, however, decided to conduct a measurement, and so San Diego was not charged a timeout.  What the Bills inexplicably forgot, however, is that after this measurement, the clock starts again!!!    Instead, the Bills went ahead and snapped the ball for the punt without thinking - giving the Chargers just enough time to score a touchdown before the half in a game that they ultimately won by three points.   

JDG

857252[/snapback]

you're right, that's brutal. but my beef with that whole series is the fact prior to the punt, we got the ball with 2:45 in the half ...and exactly 1 yard of rushing to our credit...yet jauron chose to run willis right up the middle 3 times. as though we could just run the clock out or something.

first of all, WHY did he think we'd be able to do that, and 2nd, WHY DID HE WANT TO?! We had a legitimate chance to run a 2-minute drill and get some points! I think if Losman has proven anything over the last month it is that he deserves a chance to make something happen in these sorts of scenarios.

it's just infuriating to me, because Jauron would have NEVER chosen to do that if, for example, we needed to drive into field goal position in the 4th qtr to tie the game. He would have had them run no-huddle...something where they had a realistic chance to move the ball. This may or may not have worked in the 2nd quarter Sunday, but how much worse could it have been than 3 straight dive plays?

Honestly, at that point of the game, why would you try running up the middle 3 plays in a row if you were actually trying to put points on the board? give up? I'll tell you why...BECAUSE HE WASN'T TRYING TO SCORE. he was playing that kitty old-fashioned "safety-first" type of football the gets you beat in todays game. he was playing "not to lose," which is exactly how losers play. If you can't trust losman to engineer a drive late in the half to capitolze on the momentum from a nice defensive stand, then why the hell is he your QB?

So 1:40 and 3 plays after getting the ball at our 2, we are punt formation...you are right about the screwed up clock management, and that was just icing on the cake.

857439[/snapback]

He can have it both ways. Jauron and co. may have put together a great game plan during the week. They had the players motivated and prepared. But, his game management yesterday was suspect at best. Giving the Chargers 20 seconds more than they needed to run a two minute drill was very preventable, and was, in my mind, an egregious mistake on his part; one that cost the Bills 7 points. Wasting two timeouts in one play is a first, and again shows bad judgment. Now, is he a bad coach?? Probably not. I've been impressed with his overall body of work this season.

But, everyone who keeps pointing out that he had us in there until the end against a superior team is overlooking the fact that if he made a few simple decisions, he would have had us winning that game and being the talk of the NFL today. That being said, I think the real story in that game was the highly suspicious and almost bizarre officiating that took place.

After thinking about this, I gotta say, fans focus *way* too much on one play when it involves a challenge rather than the full assortment of 130-140 plays. Basically, it's too goddamn easy for fans to focus on easy stuff like that, which in turns skews their view toward how well a game was coached.

857439[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

1) On 4th and inches, Dick Jauron decides to not go for it, down by 10.

Dick Jauron also, for whatever reason, chose not to challenge a possible fumble early in the game as well.

2) After the big sideline catch, Dick Jauron took a timeout, and then decided during the timeout to conduct a challenge.  That's pretty bad.  What is absolutely unacceptable is that Dick Jauron did not have anyone on his staff in the coaches box who KNEW THE NFL RULES!!!!   

It is sad to me that the Bills beat writers are slow to criticize Dick Jauron for this, since most sportswriters don't know the rules - but Ralph Wilson is spending hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of our ticket revenues on Dick Jauron's staff.    Is it really so much to ask that Dick Jauron hire a staff who KNOWS THE NFL RULES??!!!!????!!!!???    Ed Hochuli knew the rules, surely the Buffalo Bills can hire someone who knows the rules. 

JDG

857252[/snapback]

Would you prefer Greggo or Mikey?

That 4th down call was the right call as much as I hate to say it.

Ed Hochuli knew the rules? Yes why, they even made sure we knew knew when they said a ball was tipped when their was obvious pass intereference.

They may know the rules but their eyesight sucks. Ball was not tipped.

So 1:40 and 3 plays after getting the ball at our 2

857477[/snapback]

this is why we ran the ball 3 straight times. Didnt want merriman and Co in the endzone for a safety or a potential TD.

Jauron ran the ball, and figured our defense could stop SD from scoring before the half. Not the sexiest call, but a decision that makes sound logical sense given the talent on our team.

May as well keep him as coach

God only knows what jackass Wilson will hire next...

"Ah... Mmm... Ah, well here we are again... (ass kissers and media laughs). Well, lets just get right to it here... Ah... Mmmm... Oh yeah... The Next head coach of the Buffalo Bills, a long time fav of mine and a true grid iron warrior...

Lonnie Johnson....

I agree overall with your assessment of the three plays, and consider the decision not to throw the red flag on the Hargrove fumble recovery an even more serious error.

I don't agree that the means he is a bad coach and can't have a great long term future.

He has done a great job of having effective gameplans which have allowed us to compete with more talented teams (Indy, San, NE). We are young and learning a new system. I would love 6-6 or 7-5 right now, but realistically he has achieved both in progress and in the actual record of the team at this point. He has his guys playing their butts off for 60 minutes, learning the system and improving, and on track to continue to grow into a playoff team that can try to win the Super Bowl.

I see some of his faults, and would rather have a Belichek mastermind (who wouldn't), but I think he is a very good coach for Buffalo, and that as his first three years unfold more people will agree. Hopefully he can progress as well on some of the annoying timeouts and other questionable decisions, and I think he is the type of person to do that.