Need your thoughts

BuffaloBud

Need some help from our NYC brethern.

My wife set up a day trip to NYC. Fly JetBlue out of C'bus at 6:30, arrive NYC at 8:00. Leave NYC at 9, arrive C'bus at 10:30. Never been there and this is our Christmas present to ourselves.

Things I want to see:

1) Statue of Liberty

2) Rockefeller Center

3) Empire State Building

4) Trump Tower

Looking for:

Traveling advice (can I get to all these places without a bunch of taxis / train)

Other places to go

Nice place to have an early dinner

Thanks.

Some tips: I've found that it takes 45 mins to get from the airport to the city, so budget accordingly.

As far as gettnig around the city, I've only used the Subway once so I can't give too much advice on that but the taxis are very easy and convieient. You can walk from Rockefeller Centre to Trump Tower (I acutally met and got a pic with Trump in the lobby last year-so you never know!). Empire State bldg is about a 10-15 min walk from Times Square. Don't hesitate to flag a cab, but enjoy the walk around the city.

I would def suggest checking out the Trade Centre site. JUst take a cab down. You can also hit the Statue of Liberty when down there. The WTC site is def a must see.

I would also suggest the New YOrk Sightseeing tour. It's the red double decker bus, get on and get off as you please. About $25...it's great for a first time visitor to see a lot of things.

As far as eating, 2 places that stuck out for me was Ruby Foos in Times Square (if you like sushi) or Angelo and Maxi's on Park Ave (great Steak House). But since you will be tight on time, I would suggest something quick. There is a great Deli right beside a Fire Hall down by the WTC, and another great one on 46th(ish) right beside a TGI Friday's near Times Square. There are lots of places to eat, you'll find something you'll like. And there are over 100 Starbucks on the island, so enjoy.

have fun.

I would also suggest the New YOrk Sightseeing tour. It's the red double decker bus, get on and get off as you please. About $25...it's great for a first time visitor to see a lot of things.

856777[/snapback]

Yeah...you get to see native New Yorkers laughing their asses off at you for paying $25 to freeze your ass off on top of a big red bus and sucking exhaust fumes all day. :blush:

would also suggest the New YOrk Sightseeing tour. It's the red double decker bus, get on and get off as you please. About $25...it's great for a first time visitor to see a lot of things.

I strongly agree. Time will be a precious commodity and you'll need to add in the time to get from the airport to Manhatten and then back again. This will give you only about 6-7 hours of actually sightseeing time.

I've done these kinds of city tours in many places and I highly recommend them when you're short on time. They'll narrate throughout the tour and you can get a quick overview of many more places than if you walk or cab it. Dress warm if you want to sit up top. You can get off and on again at the places you want to see more in depth. I'd recommend the WTC site and the statue of Liberty. But, I hated the hours of long lines at the Empire State Building.

My wife set up a day trip to NYC.  Fly JetBlue out of C'bus at 6:30, arrive NYC at 8:00.  Leave NYC at 9, arrive C'bus at 10:30.  Never been there and this is our Christmas present to ourselves.

Things I want to see:

1)  Statue of Liberty

2)  Rockefeller Center

3)  Empire State Building

4)  Trump Tower

Looking for:

Traveling advice (can I get to all these places without a bunch of taxis / train)

Other places to go

Thanks.

856509[/snapback]

OK, first question is which airport? I assume JFK, but LGA has Jetblue also. For purposes of what I will tell you, I am assuming JFK.

You want to see 3 things in midtown and one downtown (Statue of Liberty). Thus, I would start in midtown. Take a cab from JFK to Trump Tower. I think its 50 bucks. It is the furthest north thing you want to see. The rest of the day, you will be working your way down the island.

You see Trump Tower (FAO Schwarz is also right near there, if interested). Walk over to Rockefeller Center. See the tree, the Center etc. Then you'll need lunch. May I suggest the Carnegie Deli (make a reservation if they let you, it could be a bit of a wait.)

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/

From Carnegie Deli, walk to Broadway, the street runs downtown. It is only one block.

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/cdnyinfo.htm#NYC%20Deli%20Map

Take a cab to the Empire State Building. This cab ride will ride you thru Times Square, so you get to see it. It may cost 20 bucks, but tell the cabbie to stay on Broadway, the point is not to fly downtown, but to see it.

Then you see the Empire State Building. I have no idea about the tours. If you can pre-book, do it.

Then, after seeing the Empire State Building, it should be about 2-3 pm, in my estimation. So, you want to get waaay downtown, to see the Statue of Liberty. Pre -book your ferry tix for later in the day, and go see Lady Liberty.

Statute of Liberty

The best way to get downtown, from the Empire State Building, is probably the subway. But, since you will be on a tight schedule, don't risk it. Take a cab. It will probably be about 30 bucks. But, walk to Broadway to catch it. Broadway runs from Midtown to Downtown and is a reasonably fast route downtown.

So, now you've seen the Statue of Liberty and its about 5 pm. You can see the WTC site, its not too far. I work next door to the site. Again, stick with the cabs, its about a 10 dollar cab ride from the Statute ferry terminal to the WTC site.

Now, you need dinner. But, you really don't have all day. Not sure what food you like or how much you want to spend, but you're going to want to eat right near the WTC site. There are a few decent places I could recommend. Then you walk back to Broadway, again a short walk from any restaurant you would eat dinner at. Catch a cab to JFK, through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

Hope this helps, enjoy the trip.

bills fan has some great suggestions.

While I haven't lived in Manhattan for 6 years, I would tell you that the list of thing you want to see/do may be aggressive in the timeframe you have.

Manhattan is often times a very hard place in which to move quickly. Getting from midtown to downtown may be brutally slow in a taxi depending on traffic (NY is just really busy around this time of year). Add to that the fact that you want to see/do what all the other tourists in NY want to do and you have to factor in things like lines and waiting times. If you have to go crosstown (E to W or W to E, there's almost no way to do that quickly). Subway is quickest over long distances and at peak times, but you may lose any time gained of you are wondering around lost or get on the wrong train (it's really not that hard to navigate if you look at the subway map and pay attention).

My advice to you is to prioritize what you want to see and be willing to pare back your list if time becomes an issue.

Flying on JetBlue into JFK. Thanks all for the input - add on if you have any additional info.

Wife will want to shop ( :blush: ) - I could care less or window shop at the max.

Dinner is pretty much open. Seeing as though this is our "gift" to each other, I don't mind spending a few coin.

Flying on JetBlue into JFK.  Thanks all for the input - add on if you have any additional info.

Wife will want to shop ( :blush: ) - I could care less or window shop at the max. 

Dinner is pretty much open.  Seeing as though this is our "gift" to each other, I don't mind spending a few coin.

856895[/snapback]

Your wife will be able to shop when you walk from Trump Tower to Rockefeller center. You will walk right down 5th Ave, no better shopping in the world.

For dinner, if you follow the suggestions and are looking for a place to eat downtown, you can eat at Delmonico's Steak House, Bobby Van's across from the NYSE (which is nicely decorated this time of year) on Broad Street, or if you want to spend a bit less, I suggest Trinity Place NYC, a new place, but great food and atmosphere. All three are within a 5 min walk from the WTC site.

Delmonicos

Bobby Vans on Broad Street

Trinity Place

Avenger is correct, don't attempt to go crosstown. Stay going north and south, Broadway is your best bet.

Also, it is a bit ambitious, but it can be done. You just have to know what you are doing and stick to a schedule. Make reservations in advance for everything. It will save you waiting time, which in NYC at Christmas time can be extremely excessive.

I'm partial, but I would take the train out of Manhattan to Brooklyn Heights and see the best skyline view of the city at the Promenade. First couple stops on the 2-3 trains to Bklyn get you there and to some of the nicest architecture and prettiest neighborhoods in the city. It's also not a far walk to the River Cafe or the cheaper, but also tasty Five Front. River Cafe is one of the nicest restaurants with one of the best views in the city, right under the Brooklyn Bridge.

Just a suggestion to avoid the tourist traps and get a little more of "real" New York. :blush:

Also, there are tons of free galleries in Chelsea (in the 20s, West Side) with some really interesting art / photography shows cycling through all the time. Check the most recent issue of the New Yorker to get a feel for what's out there. In general they will tell you what's going on currently.

Edit: Oh, and, for fun, cheapish touristy stuff, see the Macy's windows -- always pretty neat; and the skating at Bryant Park can be a lot of fun and is right in the heart of the city near the big main library building. It's quite a nice NYC experience.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

I've gone to the financial district on business a few times since 2004, without much time to sightsee, so my experience is limited...WTC site, Battery Park, Staten Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge.

My wife took one of the boat tours from the Fulton Street area and enjoyed it. It was under $20 (October 2005), and I think it took her to the Statue, Ellis and Governor's Island.

Going up town, Times Square is just a big well-lit mall these days. Go to the Empire State Building to say you've been there, and so you don't have to go again (too long a wait, too crowded).

If somebody recommends a restaurant, make sure it's still open. My boss recommended her favorite East Village hole, The Miracle Grille (you can see it in "My Date with Drew"), but we found it it was shut down by the time we got there. Lot of skyrocketing rents are driving out some familiar sites (i.e., CBGB's).

At least you're coming and going on Jet Blue. :doh:

Cab from JFK is the best way; the trains will take a lot longer.

bills_fan and other have covered midtown. I would caution that the Empire State Building may not be worth the time. The line is usually around the block in the afternoons...probably worse this time of year. If Trump has an observation deck, go there instead.

Consider going to Columbus Circle on the west side @ 59th St, check out the Time Warner center and take a walk in Central Park.

Subways are a quick and easy way to get around town; I think you can buy an unlimited day pass for a few bucks. They are easy to find to get downtown to the Financial District. Take the 4-5 if you're on the east side, A-C or 2-3 if on the west side. Get off at Chambers street and walk south to see ground zero, Trinity Church is a block south from there, and Wall Street a block east from that. A ten minute walk to Battery Park and the Ferry to the Statue of Liberty.

The suggestion about staying a night is a good one. It's really too much for a day trip.

Have fun.

That is an awfully ambitious schedule for one day, especially since you have to add commute time from airport and check in time when you leave.

Between Dec 4-26, you can get a very plain but cheap/clean private room at The Big Apple Hostel for $95 a night - two blocks from Times Square! From there you can walk to a few of the places you wanted to see.

Great lunch or dinner at John's Pizzeria; do not let the name fool you, this is a GREAT place to eat and drink. It is a sight to see on its own (I recommend the Brooklyn Lager on tap). edit: Pilsner :blink:

Use shuttles from the airport and subways to go north and south. It's not hard and people are very helpful with directions.

The closer to Christmas - the longer the lines will be everywhere.

The wife and I love going to NYC for weekends. When everything is timed right, I can make it from my driveway to the Lincoln tunnel in 5 1/2 hours.

If you can only stay the day, I suggest dinner in the mid to late afternoon, wherever you go, to avoid delays.

Enjoy! :doh:

My wife set up a day trip to NYC.  Fly JetBlue out of C'bus at 6:30, arrive NYC at 8:00.  Leave NYC at 9, arrive C'bus at 10:30.  Never been there and this is our Christmas present to ourselves.

Things I want to see:

1)  Statue of Liberty

2)  Rockefeller Center

3)  Empire State Building

4)  Trump Tower

Looking for:

Other places to go

Thanks.

856509[/snapback]