Sports Guy's remark on the Bills

Indy Dave

Bills (+6.5) over JETS

If Drew Bledsoe was a horse, the trainer would be telling the owner, "We need to put him down," and the owner would be crying and saying, "Just give me a couple of moments with him," so the trainer would leave and the owner would remain in the stable, rubbing the horse's head and saying his goodbyes. Then they would take the horse behind the back and shoot him. In real life, Bledsoe will be benched as soon as J.P. Losman comes back, then he'll be waived on March 1.

"No, no Bills fans ... we sent Drew to live on a big farm so he could have other horses to play with."

So why am I taking the Bills on the road? Because I don't like the way the Jets looked last week. And because this Bills team looks like it's destined for one of those agonizing, Ron Erhardt-type seasons where they're 2-8 after 10 games, even though they were one play away from taking nine of the 10 games.

(On the bright side, if the Red Sox win the World Series this month, the Bills officially become THE star-crossed franchise in sports. It's like when Phil Mickelson won a major and we had to find a new "Best Player Who Hasn't Won a Major" guy, only we already have one waiting in the wings.)

(On the bright side, if the Red Sox win the World Series this month, the Bills officially become THE star-crossed franchise in sports. It's like when Phil Mickelson won a major and we had to find a new "Best Player Who Hasn't Won a Major" guy, only we already have one waiting in the wings.)

62052[/snapback]

This is not true. Consider the calculation:

The last time the Red Sox won the world series was 1918.

2004 - 1918 = 86 years.

Let's give the Bills 1965 as the last time they won a championship. That means the Bills have until the year 2051 (1965+86) to win the Super Bowl, before they can equal the futility of the Red Sox.

(BTW, in 2051 I, myself will be 86 years old. The celebration would probably kill me, but what a way to go!)

Of course, if the Red Sox do what they usually do, you can say "wait till next year" -- and schedule the party for 2052.

2004 - 1918 = 86 years.

Let's give the Bills 1965 as the last time they won a championship. That means the Bills have until the year 2051 (1965+86) to win the Super Bowl, before they can equal the futility of the Red Sox.

(BTW, in 2051 I, myself will be 86 years old.  The celebration would probably kill me, but what a way to go!)

Of course, if the Red Sox do what they usually do, you can say "wait till next year" -- and schedule the party for 2052.

62066[/snapback]

Am I the only one who takes absolutely NO solace in the fact that we won an AFL Championship? Sorry, its just not the SB.

Am I the only one who takes absolutely NO solace in the fact that we won an AFL Championship? Sorry, its just not the SB.

62083[/snapback]

Clearly, nobody outside of Buffalo does. I don't really either.

The only time I bring it up is when the local Eagle fans start talking junk :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Do people count ABA championships in basketball?

How about the WFL?

The AFL wins are nice and all but it isn't the NFL.

2004 - 1918 = 86 years.

(BTW, in 2051 I, myself will be 86 years old.  The celebration would probably kill me, but what a way to go!)

62066[/snapback]

Last time I checked, the Cubs were in a pretty bad way. Apparently they don't exist in Sports Guy Land.

Sorry, but, he missed the boat. The Browns, Lions, Eagles, and Cardinals (going back to Chicago) have been around much longer than the Bills.

Also, based on recent history, the Eagles are more deserving of "Best Player Who Hasn't Won a Major".

Did you just actually compare the WFL to the old AFL?

62244[/snapback]

I believe he did. He must have missed the memo from when an AFL team beat an NFL team in Super Bowl III. Don't recall that happening with any WFL or ABA teams.

But then, considering the (likely) source, our guest can be forgiven for that. I'm guessing his reaction would be different had the Patriots ever won an AFL championship.

Sorry, but, he missed the boat. The Browns, Lions, Eagles, and Cardinals (going back to Chicago) have been around much longer than the Bills.

Also, based on recent history, the Eagles are more deserving of "Best Player Who Hasn't Won a Major".

62247[/snapback]

Can't really include the Cardinals in that debate. Instead of "Best Player Never....", they're more like "oh, that guy still has his Tour card? Who knew?"

;)

Agree with the Eagles. 1960, I believe?