Any Coincidence that we're playing better

damaynman150

Recall, bye-week changes to the OL and since, we're 3-1, should be 4-0!

Peters is a stud. So far, I think I can count the number of "bad" plays from him on one hand!

Gandy is doing much better. JP called him the "leader" of the group. Hes certainly no tackle though.

Fowler is a solid center whos earning his contract so far. No botched shotgun snaps like teague either!

Preston is a guy i really liked coming out of college and hes impressing me too. plus he can play a number of positions.

Pennington has played really well too. but he was a 7th rounder so Im not sure if hes a long-term solution.

*this is just my opinion on the players above. Im no OL-connosieur

Still... I cant help but think how our line (and subsequently our offense in general) would have been had Mike Williams panned out. Consider:

[Williams] [Gandy] [Fowler] [Preston] [Peters]

^ thats a Top 10 line i think... oh well...

FINAL THOUGHT: we need to keep clements

It's the O-line and the shackles being taken-off JP WRT forcing him to stay in the pocket.

850954[/snapback]

If the OL is the difference, imo it is primarily because of Peters. Would you be happy entering 07 with Gandy as the starting LG? Truthfully, I would not. Kudos must go out to Pennington as well for not looking like Jerman at RT. The kid seems to have a shot.

As for the "shackles," I tend to agree, but I think that it was a good move to make JP stay in the pocket earlier in the season. He came from Tulane where he ran for his life against top quality SEC teams. JP already knew how to run, and had/has the ability to do so. Now, he is making some very good throws from the pocket and from quick drops. It seemed to have worked.

I think that this staff did a good job in terms of bringing JP along. He did have a long way to go, or so I think.

The O'line is playing better, and Peters is a very good offensive lineman. However the remainder are of very limited talent. The last few games we have played aweak line offense with two tight ends, with sets to protect the qb. However in the last two games we played against pretty hard up defensive lines, played well and the qb and receivers were able to show what they could do.

The thing to remember is that San Diego is NOT coming here with a beat up defensive line. That means expecting max play from the limited talent we have onthe line, giving help where we can and to some extent designing the game plan to deal with a very aggressive rush.

Read the San Diego board. They expect a sack marathon, and will come out looking for bear. The sure way to defeat is to assume they will defend like Jacksonville and Houston. jauron is going to really earn this week's paycheck.

If the OL is the difference, imo it is primarily because of Peters. Would you be happy entering 07 with Gandy as the starting LG? Truthfully, I would not.  Kudos must go out to Pennington as well for not looking like Jerman at RT. The kid seems to have a shot.

As for the "shackles," I tend to agree, but I think that it was a good move to make JP stay in the pocket earlier in the season. He came from Tulane where he ran for his life against top quality SEC teams. JP already knew how to run, and had/has the ability to do so. Now, he is making some very good throws from the pocket and from quick drops. It seemed to have worked.

I think that this staff did a good job in terms of bringing JP along. He did have a long way to go, or so I think.

850961[/snapback]

JP does not make that throw to Parrish if he had the green light to run 1st pass 2nd.

he could have taken off and gotten 10-15 but then would have had to do it again with little time.

it is definately paying off although it was frustrating earlier in the year :censored:

Recall, bye-week changes to the OL and since, we're 3-1, should be 4-0!

Peters is a stud. So far, I think I can count the number of "bad" plays from him on one hand!

Gandy is doing much better. JP called him the "leader" of the group. Hes certainly no tackle though.

Fowler is a solid center whos earning his contract so far. No botched shotgun snaps like teague either!

Preston is a guy i really liked coming out of college and hes impressing me too. plus he can play a number of positions.

Pennington has played really well too. but he was a 7th rounder so Im not sure if hes a long-term solution.

*this is just my opinion on the players above. Im no OL-connosieur

Still... I cant help but think how our line (and subsequently our offense in general) would have been had Mike Williams panned out. Consider:

[Williams] [Gandy] [Fowler] [Preston] [Peters]

^ thats a Top 10 line i think... oh well...

FINAL THOUGHT: we need to keep clements

850930[/snapback]

I know the line is improved on the left side but I'm still very skeptical of the right side. I pretty much expect Castillo, Jamal Williams, and Phillips to cave in the right side of the line this week. Hopefully JP can make some more throws rolling left and Willis finds room on the left side like they did last week.

I know the line is improved on the left side but I'm still very skeptical of the right side.  I pretty much expect Castillo, Jamal Williams, and Phillips to cave in the right side of the line this week.  Hopefully JP can make some more throws rolling left and Willis finds room on the left side like they did last week.

850989[/snapback]

It might be nice to try some early screens to the right side in an effort to slow them down.

Hopefully JP can make some more throws rolling left and Willis finds room on the left side like they did last week.

850989[/snapback]

I think rolling to the left is hard for a right handed QB....I hope we run the ball 40 times and control the clock and avoid turnovers....I think that will be a good recipe for success.

JP does not make that throw to Parrish if he had the green light to run 1st pass 2nd.

he could have taken off and gotten 10-15 but then would have had to do it again with little time.

it is definately paying off although it was frustrating earlier in the year :censored:

850980[/snapback]

Idk i think jp was thinking throw it reguardless of what fairchild or juaron said. Jp very rairly runs these days bc he dosent need to he completes over 60% of his passes every game. He's getting better and its due mostly to coaching. kudos to DJ and Fairchild

I know the line is improved on the left side but I'm still very skeptical of the right side.  I pretty much expect Castillo, Jamal Williams, and Phillips to cave in the right side of the line this week.  Hopefully JP can make some more throws rolling left and Willis finds room on the left side like they did last week.

850989[/snapback]

Whatever! Some are giving the Chargers too much credit on D as they have been toasted a couple ot times in the last 5 games. If they don't respect Lee he will eat them alive! If they play cover 2 then WM will have more room to run. I think the O-line has improved a lot and as long as they play average we will be in it as long as our D doesn't give up 30 plus points!

The chargers can be run on. Yeah they're 7th in yardage against the run howver they're 18th in ypa allowed and 18th in rushing tds allowed. The 7th in yardage more or less reflects the fact they're 2nd in rushing attempts faced while 19th in passing attempts faced. Our best bet is to run and run often mixed in with play action passes and getting the tes involved.

Whatever! Some are giving the Chargers too much credit on D as they have been toasted a couple ot times in the last 5 games.

851046[/snapback]

They've been missing Merriman and Castillo recently. Not this week. They also haven't been playing against Duke Preston and a 7th round RT recently.

They've been missing Merriman and Castillo recently.  Not this week.  They also haven't been playing against Duke Preston and a 7th round RT recently.

851087[/snapback]

I forgot that late-round linemen and rookies, despite their good play over the last four games, are, in reality, doing well only because of smoke and mirrors. They actually suck, while if 1st round linemen are playing like stevestojan, they're "coming up to speed". :bag:

There are several other offensive differences from early in the season which came about aroung the bye week I also think are differences (and possible reasons for the changes)

1. More one back sets- I think that this may be the route we are going toward more because of some general boners and undistinguished play by Shelton.

2. Better TE production- I think that Cieslak moving ahead of Everett on the depth charts are indicators of better production from Cieslak as this is in essence Everett's rookie year. Its not that Cieslak is all that experienced either, but Everett looks like a rookie out there having lost his entire first season to injury.

3. Better play calling by Fairchild- As a first time OC he really needed half of a season to develop more of a feel for the game. I am also curious to see how the team plays with Reed back. I actually prefer our O without him because having 2 or 3 speed freaks on the field at the same time has simply forced us to go a bit deeper because Fairchild no longer had a true possesion receiver to rely on (they forced PP into this roll relatively ineffectively actually).

The OL is much improved with the new line-up as both new guys are getting the chance they were hungry for and the OL knows that if they do not play well that like Reyes they will be made inactive or like CV the team is not reluctant to IR a player whose work drops off due to injury.

I think the irony for us outside observers is that despite the overfocus of many on TSW om the high profile RB and QB positions, the shift from WM to Thomas and back has made little discernable difference in production either way and its the same JP early and late he is just employed differently so the conclusions drawn by some of him either not having it or having it has less to do with his output than how he is used.

Perhaps the coincidence is that the O-Line is better because the Bills are playing better. Wins cover a multitude of sins. They still aren't running the ball with any consistency, making a lot of first downs, or winning the time of possession battles.

This is a very well managed team that has found a way to win games by protecting its offensive line with gameplanning, protecting the ball (and, yes, protecting its quarterback). The coaching staff is making this team a "tough out" and this weekend should be no different. If the O-Line progresses just a tiny bit more, helping out the defense, anything is possible in December.

If the OL is the difference, imo it is primarily because of Peters. Would you be happy entering 07 with Gandy as the starting LG? Truthfully, I would not.  Kudos must go out to Pennington as well for not looking like Jerman at RT. The kid seems to have a shot.

850961[/snapback]

In hindsight, perhaps what the coaches were doing earlier in the season was teaching JP to scan thru his progressions before taking off running. This made him read the def. better. Maybe he mastered it, so they can trust him to run now if nothing is there. Just a thought.