TRIPLETT AND DLINE...HUGE GAME

milfster1

This guy, like JP has taken a beating on this board from alot of the fans who seek to think they know more than the coaches. This is his 2nd or 3rd straight game where he has been very solid.

I think what we are starting to see is the result of these guys playing enough together to where now the talent is starting to show up.

In addition to the offense being brand new, so is the defense with alot of young guys.

Anyways, kudos to Larry Tripplett for another outstanding game. We definitely need to improve the run defense, but even that got much better in the 2nd half. Pass rush was outstanding all day long.

The D got gashed by the run but came up big when it counted.

848647[/snapback]

By "came up big when it counted" do mean allowing the game tying TD drive on the Jaguar's last posession?

The DL was solid rushing the passer today but they were horrid (once again) against the run.

The inexcusable play was giving up the 4th and 14 on a scramble when it looked our guys had a few shots at him 5 yards short of the 1st down. I thought I was going to be sick.

But we did win, so I can't complain too much.

The thing I don't understand is why we wait to make the halftime adjustment against the run. Whatever it is, it seems to work to some extent as our run D has been much better in the second half of the last two games.

Is it needed in the Cover 2 to have both DT's smaller/quicker type players?It would seem having a more space eater type next to Larry would be the way to go.Not being a smartass..just asking.

848726[/snapback]

Traditionally, the cover-2 employs 2 smaller, quicker DT's. A quick look at some fo the DT's around the league on teams that run the Cover or Tampa-2, and you'll find most of the DT's in the 290-310 range. In fact, i think the largest starting DT in a cover 2 is 320lbs.

Also, the cover-2 is known to be a weaker defense against the run. It is designed to take away the deep pass, and to combat the west coast offense. But it is known for being not as strong against the run.

Traditionally, the cover-2 employs 2 smaller, quicker DT's. A quick look at some fo the DT's around the league on teams that run the Cover or Tampa-2, and you'll find most of the DT's in the 290-310 range. In fact, i think the largest starting DT in a cover 2 is 320lbs.

Also, the cover-2 is known to be a weaker defense against the run. It is designed to take away the deep pass, and to combat the west coast offense. But it is known for being not as strong against the run.

848737[/snapback]

Danke..

Someone mentioned in another thread about getting Ron Edwards back..He had some beef and did not seem like total slug.Maybe a decent idea...I like Kyle Williams but he doesnt seem ready for every down duty and Anderson is not cutting it at all.

Danke..

Someone mentioned in another thread about getting Ron Edwards back..He had some beef and did not seem like total slug.Maybe a decent idea...I like Kyle Williams but he doesnt seem ready for every down duty and Anderson is not cutting it at all.

848739[/snapback]

Kyle Williams has hit the 10-game wall. That's the length of a college football season and what he's been conditioned for up until this season.

Love the way Hargrove played as well.

848561[/snapback]

this guy has been one of my favorites since we acquired him.

he's always full of energy, it looks like he's having so much fun playing the game.

now he's producing on the field too.

:lol:

By "came up big when it counted" do mean allowing the game tying TD drive on the Jaguar's last posession?

The DL was solid rushing the passer today but they were horrid (once again) against the run.

848664[/snapback]

Yup. I couldn't believe they couldn't tackle garrad on that 4th and 14....He was first touched at least 6 yards shy of the 1st down.... Until they can stop the run we will be living by fire...

The inexcusable play was giving up the 4th and 14 on a scramble when it looked our guys had a few shots at him 5 yards short of the 1st down.  I thought I was going to be sick.

But we did win, so  I can't complain too much.

The thing I don't understand is why we wait to make the halftime adjustment against the run.  Whatever it is, it seems to work to some extent as our run D has been much better in  the second half of the last two games.

848699[/snapback]

I was pretty dissappointed by the defense not stopping Garrard on that 4th and 14. No excuse two guys had shots at him and missed. They could have ended the game right there.