The Hidden Target (Or Victim ?)

George Will gives voice to a simmering situation

http://www.suntimes.com/output/will/cst-edt-geo07.html

"John Kerry's selection of John Edwards as running mate was a blunder, and not just because Kerry probably will lose Edwards' North Carolina. The Edwards selection ratifies a provocative fact: trial lawyers have become the Democrats' most important faction. This has energized small-business owners, the self-employed, doctors and others who worry that they live one lawsuit away from ruin. Such people, now aroused, may propel tort reform that will curtail the windfalls that make trial lawyers the Democrats' largest source of contributions."

And from the Washington Monthly - a like item from Grover Norquist

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/...9.norquist.html

Now, Mr. Norquist would certainly qualify as a Republican operative but is this an opening salvo against the genre of the trial lawyers ? The VP challenger skirted the issue the other night except for some reference to a lawyer "review" panel and

some "three strikes" nonsense.

Noto Bene: There are also Republican trial lawyers loose amongst us :D

Trial lawyers= scum sucking leeches.

I have already seen ads on TV saying 'If you had a stroke or heart attack and were taking Vioxx". The poor people answering the ad will never see a penny in the class action suit.

I have already seen ads on TV saying 'If you had a stroke or heart attack and were taking Vioxx". The poor people answering the ad will never see a penny in the class action suit.

61817[/snapback]

I love it...They are scum suckers...until one of us is in a car accident and we're asking for legal advise on the taxability of settlements! ;):lol:

I love it...They are scum suckers...until one of us is in a car accident and we're asking for legal advise on the taxability of settlements!  ;)  :lol:

61835[/snapback]

If not for us scum suckers they would be riding to work in a Pinto with no seat belts and giving birth to babies deformed by thalidomide. It is like it is with cops, they don't like ya 'till they need ya.

61817[/snapback]

About twice a week I get mailings related to class-action lawsuits against companies whose stocks have fallen. "If you owned the stock during this period, you're part of the suit and entitled to something or other..."

Really? Even though I sold the stock at a substantial profit and made money, I still get to sue the company because the stock went down? ;) Biggest !@#$ing scam...buy stock, watch it go down, sue the company and make money that way.

Let's move this thread to the State of Mississippi so we can use predatory racial and educational bias to win the argument.

I just chuckle at the chronic leftist bigotry...

61850[/snapback]

What are you talking about?

Are you talking about civil or criminal lawyers?

If civil, are you just upset about plaintiff's counsel considering race when selecting a jury or defense counsel as well?

If criminal, are you talking about jury selection and if so, are you just as concerned with the prosecutor using race as an indicator of bias? If not jury selection, how are lawyers using "predatory racial...bias[?!]" whatever that is?

What are you talking about when you refer to "educational bias"?

I love it...They are scum suckers...until one of us is in a car accident and we're asking for legal advise on the taxability of settlements!  ;)  :lol:

61835[/snapback]

Technically the question was for the accountants :lol::w00t:

If not for us scum suckers they would be riding to work in a Pinto with no seat belts and giving birth to babies deformed by thalidomide.  It is like it is with cops, they don't like ya 'till they need ya.

61950[/snapback]

Is life in Europe and Japan so bad?

Nice try. Continue the attack on personal responsibility - 'tis profitable. 300 idiots stick their kid on the front seat of an air-bag car without a car seat who never bothered to read their owner's manual and a billion $$$ of costs get added to the business and consumer costs.

I count the days until the break-up of the Union occurs...

I love it...They are scum suckers...until one of us is in a car accident and we're asking for legal advise on the taxability of settlements!  :D  :D

61835[/snapback]

And your attorney responds "Not as bad as you think. My tax burden, on the other hand, is excessive, as I pocket 60% of your punitive damages plus costs..." ;)

To further expand on my stock-related class-action lawsuit experience...biggest payout I've ever seen is sixty-five cents...on a hundred-million dollar settlement. Lawyers pocketed $40M...and never owned the stock to begin with.

If not for us scum suckers they would be riding to work in a Pinto with no seat belts and giving birth to babies deformed by thalidomide.  It is like it is with cops, they don't like ya 'till they need ya.

61950[/snapback]

Thalidomide was not sold in the US because of the FDA. Because of the rigorus tests required here, it was still in animal testing here while it was being sold in Europe. The testing on Rhesus monkeys showed no problems. They showed up when humans started taking it.

What are you talking about?

Are you talking about civil or criminal lawyers?

If civil, are you just upset about plaintiff's counsel considering race when selecting a jury or defense counsel as well?

If criminal, are you talking about jury selection and if so, are you just as concerned with the prosecutor using race as an indicator of bias?  If not jury selection, how are lawyers using "predatory racial...bias[?!]" whatever that is?

What are you talking about when you refer to "educational bias"?

61963[/snapback]

I'm talking about moving venue to attain a jury, often black, who still have the legacy of Democratic Party Jim Crow legislation and educational opportunity denials, that will be therefore easily led so that the legal firm can maximize settlements and therefore personal profits. Moving a venue for criminal issue? Don't make me laugh. Very seldom, for there is little $$$ to be extracted by the articifers...

61817[/snapback]

You see, you can't do this case as a class action. The rules won't allow it. You have to file individual lawsuits if you had a heart attack. In order to win, you have to prove Vioxx was unreasonably dangerous, you weren't warned by the product insert or your doctor, and you had a heart attack. You simply can't prove this on a class wide basis.

I'm talking about moving venue to attain a jury, often black, who still have the legacy of Democratic  Party Jim Crow legislation and educational opportunity denials, that will be therefore easily led so that the legal firm can maximize settlements and therefore personal profits. Moving a venue for criminal issue? Don't make me laugh. Very seldom, for there is little $$$ to be extracted by the articifers...

62084[/snapback]

As a trial lawyer, I agree that Mississippi has gotten out of control. But I can say that the federal judges are permitting cases to be removed, even if inappropriately, to combat this system. Also, the effect of State Farm v. Campbell and the due process limitations on punitive damages to 9 time actuals will see a decrease in consumer cases in Mississippi.