Whitner

ch19079

first off it was a great win and showed what our offense could really do.

but i have to comment about whitner. He missed several tackles which lead to big gains and 1 TD.

before sunday i had nothing but praise for the guy, but even though we won, i still have to say that he had a very bad game sunday. I hope he learns from this game because i see him being a great player for us for several years.

He plays poorly in run coverage, but he is decent against the pass. I saw him get run over on a couple of occasions and be a bit too aggressive against the run, especially on the TD run that Lundy bounced to the outside. He should have had outside containment, but took on a blocker and failed miserably.

Give him some time.

he had a really bad game this game.  several missed tackles.. the only good play that comes to mind is the snuffing of the wr screen to andre johnson

843372[/snapback]

The reason we say he had a bad game was because the missed tackles were noticeable, mainly because he was in the right position but didn't bring the man down. One-on-one open field tackling is something that is very difficult to do against any NFL RB, and the Bills have been lucky enough to have players in their secondary who are very good in run support. Several of those players are/were Ohio State alums.

I think Whitner's tackling has been, overall, very solid this year. Yesterday was his poorest tackling performance, but like I said, it was so noticeable because he was usually in the right spot. For a young player, I'll take being in the right spot first, above finishing the play. It's better to read things correctly, rather than him completely taken out of the action and not even having the opportunity to miss a tackle.

Once the positioning and reading the play is second nature, which it looks like it's becoming, the tackling will be there. IMO.

I was wondering if anyone else had been noticing his missed tackles - not only yesterday but at times throughout the year. At one point in the season I think he even played the "technique" card. I think he'll be OK - but wrapping up someone when tackling should be something that should be second nature for a player considered to be one of the best (if not the best) at his position coming out of college IMO.

I was wondering if anyone else had been noticing his missed tackles - not only yesterday but at times throughout the year.  At one point in the season I think he even played the "technique" card.  I think he'll be OK - but wrapping up someone when tackling should be something that should be second nature for a player considered to be one of the best (if not the best) at his position coming out of college IMO.

843441[/snapback]

Can we give this team a chance to grow rather than watching them through a magnifying glass.

Can we give this team  a chance to grow rather than watching them through a magnifying glass.

843854[/snapback]

It can't be a Monday without us criticizing SOMEONE. And, you know, with DeLuca and LSI Cadets kind of being screwed with the win yesterday, it was just a matter of time before someone found something to complain about.

Can we give this team a chance to grow rather than watching them through a magnifying glass.

I am sorry--but what the hell board did you think you logged into today ---magnifying glass--this place uses a the world's largest microscope to analyze every step of every player and thus turns silver linings into dark clouds...