Fox News Memo

Joey Balls

Yet nobody in the mainstream media has raised a fuss like they did with the Rather/Guard story.

http://www.newshounds.us/2006/11/14/fox_ne...dem_victory.php

839885[/snapback]

Huffington Post has obtained an internal Fox News memo that instructs staff members to be on the lookout for any information from insurgents in Iraq, who, the memo says "must be thrilled" at Democratic victories in last week's midterm elections.
God forbid they "be on the lookout for any information." :lol: That's not exactly the same thing as typing up fake Texas Air National Guard documents.

As for the name-calling part, there have been ABC news documents leaked that show their people taking similar shots at Bush. Not to mention CNN.com having a picture of Bush on their front page titled "!@#$.jpeg."

All of which basically means that 1. none of our news outlets are particularily competent and 2. all of the news outlets should be more open about where they're coming from (liberal or conservative).

God forbid they "be on the lookout for any information."  :lol:  That's not exactly the same thing as typing up fake Texas Air National Guard documents.

As for the name-calling part, there have been ABC news documents leaked that show their people taking similar shots at Bush.  Not to mention CNN.com having a picture of Bush on their front page titled "!@#$.jpeg."

All of which basically means that 1. none of our news outlets are particularily competent and 2. all of the news outlets should be more open about where they're coming from (liberal or conservative).

839932[/snapback]

I'd argue point 1. They're extremely competent at what they need to be: selling the news as entertainment.

They aren't doing this stuff as a public service.

I was curious about the following: Has Fox addressed the memo at all on O'Reilly, H&C, or any of the other shows.

To me, the memo was not surprising and confirms what I already know.

I personally have no problem with the fact that Fox has a particular "perspective" (I will not even call it a conservative perspective, because it seems to spend a lot of time defending and/or reciting GWB's talking points -- and I do not consider GWB to be conservative for the most part).

The problem that I have is that Fox spends so much time trying to convince itself that it is "fair and balanced" and attacking other news outlets for being "biased" when the same argument can be made against Fox.

I watch Fox, CNN, and the other networks, read the New York Times, the American Conservative, NR, the WSJ editorial page, the Times of London, Drudge, Huffington, watch the Daily Show, Colbert, Maher, McGlaughlin etc.

The point is to be aware that they all have their own "perspectives" and be able to make up your own mind.

The problem that I have is that Fox spends so much time trying to convince itself that it is "fair and balanced" and attacking other news outlets for being "biased" when the same argument can be made against Fox.

840134[/snapback]

They all do that. CNN is "The Most Trusted Name in News". NYT says they're the "Paper of Record" (do they still say that?). I really don't mind if they have slogans.

I'd personally be much happier if FOX billed themselves as the "Conservative News Channel" or something. Why not? Everyone already knows they're the opposite of CNN, MSNBC, and all the other big news outlets. On the other hand, I'd prefer something like a conservative news channel to be extremely competent and even-handed, which FOX is not.

I'd kill for someone to really start a new channel that went out of its way to present all the information never presented by the other outlets and never get caught up in celebrity BS. And never have BS slap fights the way the CNN and MSNBC boys are constantly attacking FOX (and vice versa).

They all do that.  CNN is "The Most Trusted Name in News".  NYT says they're the "Paper of Record" (do they still say that?).  I really don't mind if they have slogans.

840278[/snapback]

I agree with your point, but don't you see a difference (however subtle) in labeling your outlet as the "most trusted", or "paper of record" than "fair and balanced?" CNN is saying, "people trust us" (not claiming they are truthful), NYT is saying that what they print is legit news (when they report on it, it is news), while FOX is saying "what we report is the truth, with no attempt to mainipulate your perception of the story".

Anyone with half a brain realizes that any news source is biased (it is inherent in what they report, or don't report- intentional or unintentional), but FOX is claiming, over and over, that they have no bias. It is simply not true. Thier insistance that it is, gives them little credibilty. Which is saying something for televised news.

I agree with your point, but don't you see a difference (however subtle) in labeling your outlet as the "most trusted", or "paper of record" than "fair and balanced?"  CNN is saying, "people trust us" (not claiming they are truthful), NYT is saying that what they print is legit news (when they report on it, it is news), while FOX is saying "what we report is the truth, with no attempt to mainipulate your perception of the story". 

Anyone with half a brain realizes that any news source is biased (it is inherent in what they report, or don't report- intentional or unintentional), but FOX is claiming, over and over, that they have no bias.  It is simply not true.  Thier insistance that it is, gives them little credibilty.  Which is saying something for televised news.

840284[/snapback]

Not really. CNN is saying "This is trustworthy" and Fox is saying "This is fair." It's the same crap.

They are all biased (MSNBC's hosts are probably the furthest gone) but they all say they're the best.

Not really.  CNN is saying "This is trustworthy" and Fox is saying "This is fair."  It's the same crap.

They are all biased (MSNBC's hosts are probably the furthest gone) but they all say they're the best.

840331[/snapback]

Hmmm....I think someone has a bright future in the world of political spin? :lol:

I know what you are saying, but I do believe, that CNN's claim at being the "most trusted source for news" was the result of a poll taken when they were at their peak popualrity, some years ago, asking participants which media outlet they most trusted for their news information. FOX's "fair and balanced" is a self proclamation. CNN's slogan is a commentary on how they have been perceived by television viewers, while FOXs' slogan is commenting on the content of their coverage. Big difference.

I know what you are saying, but I do believe, that CNN's claim at being the "most trusted source for news" was the result of a poll taken when they were at their peak popualrity, some years ago, asking participants which media outlet they most trusted for their news information.  FOX's "fair and balanced" is a self proclamation.  CNN's slogan is a commentary on how they have been perceived by television viewers, while FOXs' slogan is commenting on the content of their coverage.  Big difference.

840392[/snapback]

Science H. Logic! :D

It doesn't matter! They're all slogans! I don't know if Pepsi really was the "choice of a new generation" in the 80s or if people are really "Thinking Arby's" right now. I seriously doubt that I have "got to put Mercury on my list."

Fox has some slogan they just made up and CNN has some bogus slogan about being the "most trusted" that doesn't even make sense because if they were really the most trusted they'd also be the highest rated (which they aren't).

They're all allowed to have whatever slogan they want. It's advertising! No one cares!

Science H. Logic!  :P

It doesn't matter!  They're all slogans!  I don't know if Pepsi really was the "choice of a new generation" in the 80s or if people are really "Thinking Arby's" right now.  I seriously doubt that I have "got to put Mercury on my list." 

Fox has some slogan they just made up and CNN has some bogus slogan about being the "most trusted" that doesn't even make sense because if they were really the most trusted they'd also be the highest rated (which they aren't).

They're all allowed to have whatever slogan they want.  It's advertising!  No one cares!

840449[/snapback]

Uh, okay, you commented on it first, so I assumed you cared....as Emily Latella used to say "never mind"....I still think you are missing the point though! :D

I'd argue point 1.  They're extremely competent at what they need to be:  selling the news as entertainment.

They aren't doing this stuff as a public service.

840030[/snapback]

Yeah but I really don't think the cable news networks are even competent in selling the News as entertainment as witnessed by the tedious football spin used as commentary on election night, which I posted on another thread.

Additionally Fox News ratings are crashing harder than their resident lunatic Bill Orly's "War on Christmas" crap.

I was curious about the following:  Has Fox addressed the memo at all on O'Reilly, H&C, or any of the other shows.

To me, the memo was not surprising and confirms what I already know. 

I personally have no problem with the fact that Fox has a particular "perspective" (I will not even call it a conservative perspective, because it seems to spend a lot of time defending and/or reciting GWB's talking points -- and I do not consider GWB to be conservative for the most part).

I watch Fox, CNN, and the other networks, read the New York Times, the American Conservative, NR, the WSJ editorial page, the Times of London, Drudge, Huffington, watch the Daily Show, Colbert, Maher, McGlaughlin etc.

The point is to be aware that they all have their own "perspectives" and be able to make up your own mind.

840134[/snapback]

I'm just happy that Bill O'Reilly has woken America up to the danger that Christmas might be banned! :D

Happy Holidays everyone!

Not really.  CNN is saying "This is trustworthy" and Fox is saying "This is fair."  It's the same crap.

840331[/snapback]

They are both full of sh-- but I think FOX started calling themselves "fair and balanced" before they even started broadcasting, which is somewhat impossible. That also means they determined themselves that they were "fair and balanced" and they are obviously far from it. In fact, it's an outright lie. CNN, just as slanted, took "the most trusted name in news" from some outside study. The study could be full of sh-- but at least it was someone else's evaluation of them and not their own.

Yeah but I really don't think the cable news networks are even competent in selling the News as entertainment as witnessed by the tedious football spin used as commentary on election night, which I posted on another thread.

Additionally Fox News ratings are crashing harder than their resident lunatic Bill Orly's "War on Christmas" crap.

840603[/snapback]

Its a specialized market where ratings don't matter as much as profits. Right now, they've got pretty damn good profits, which is making the Newspaper industry feel the pinch.

They are both full of sh-- but I think FOX started calling themselves "fair and balanced" before they even started broadcasting, which is somewhat impossible. That also means they determined themselves that they were "fair and balanced" and they are obviously far from it. In fact, it's an outright lie. CNN, just as slanted, took "the most trusted name in news" from some outside study. The study could be full of sh-- but at least it was someone else's evaluation of them and not their own.

840693[/snapback]

Which is exactly the point I was making....

It would be like, after the 2004 presidential election, John Kerry going around and saying "I am the President", even though the vote went in favor of George Bush.

Which is exactly the point I was making....

It would be like, after the 2004 presidential election, John Kerry going around and saying "I am the President", even though the vote went in favor of George Bush.

840776[/snapback]

IT'S A SLOGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else heard that MTV actually stopped playing music?

840310[/snapback]

The last time MTV played music was when they had "Unchained" by Van Halen in regular rotation.

There is NOTHING that gets your day off on the right foot like watching Alex Van Halen pound on a gong set on fire, while eating your corn flakes.