What is your most favorite Star Wars fight/battle?

Best Star Wars Fight!  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Best Star Wars Fight!

• Qui Gon & Obi Wan vs. Darth Maul
    • Obi Wan vs. General Grievous
    • Anakin, Obiwan & Yoda vs. Count Dooku
    • Anakin vs. Count Dooku
    • Yoda vs. Palpatine
    • Anakin vs. Obi Wan (Revenge of the Sith)
    • Obi Wan Vs. Darth Vader (A New Hope)
    • Luke vs. Darth Vader (Empire Strikes Back)
    • Luke vs. Darth Vader (Return of the Jedi)
    • Battle of Hoth
    • Battle of Naboo
    • Battle of Endor
    • Other (less significant (ground) fights)
    • Other (space fights)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, man....any fan of this franchise will no doubt recognize how pivotal and meaningful many of those fights are. If I HAD to pick one, I'd have to go with Luke v. Vader from ROTJ.

When you think about how intense the emotions are, and how things just come completely full circle from start to finish, it's just awesome. That's part of the reason why I won't ever consider ROTJ a weak film. Sure, the ewoks were tacky. But 60-70% of that movie is just awesome.

Think about all that Luke had taken on his shoulders....freely exposing himself to Vader with so little to go on as far as what, if anything, was left of Anakin. Then to basically stop the fight and all out refuse to continue, only to end up in a rage when Vader threatens to go after his sister.

When you ponder this fight in light of what happened in Ep.III, it just makes it all the more intense. In both Ep.III and in ROTJ, you have Anakin and Luke dealing with intense love and intense rage. The contrast between the two is very dramatic - the jealous love of Anakin leading to hatred, and then the selfless love of Luke leading to a passion to do what's right.

I don't think people give Lucas enough credit for the amount of depth and the artistry that can be found among these films.

I think we give him more than enough credit.  He's HUGE.  He's the main person every movie maker tries to be like.

838522[/snapback]

I don't totally agree with that. If anything, Lucas is admired for his business savy (Fox giving him the merchandizing rights to Star Wars is still one of the biggest bungles in studio history) but discredited for his "filmmaking". I don't hear many filmmakers wishing to emulate him.

In fact, it's usually the opposite. The anti-Hollywood crowd likes to slam him for his poor writing and use of Digital over Film.

I don't think he gets enough credit from the "artistic" filmmakers for his ingenuity, creativity and boldness. Though, I still wish he didn't direct Episodes II and III. I kinda wish he stepped back like he did with Eps V and VI.

Still, I can never do anything but praise the man who gave us Star Wars AND Indiana Jones. The later being some of my favorite films of all time.

That being said, I prefer the Anakin/Obie Wan fight at the end of Sith. To me, that had more weight than any other fight/duel in the series. More so even than when Vadar finally fulfilled the prophecy and destroyed the Sith (Luke couldn't do it, neither could Yoda. Only Anakin could...love that).

I think we give him more than enough credit.  He's HUGE.  He's the main person every movie maker tries to be like.

838522[/snapback]

I think what bothered me with regard to the prequels is the fact that a lot of people were so busy hacking on JarJar that they missed the entire point of what was going on....particularly in Ep. I. When someone starts crapping on that film, the first thing I ask them is, "what do you think the film was about?". They'll say it was about some stupid trade federation dispute, or about training Anakin or whatever....they totally miss the big picture that Lucas had very quietly constructed. The main development of that film, and the WHOLE point to all that trade federation stuff, was the way Palpatine/Sidious pulled strings behind the scenes in order land himself in position to become Chancellor. The trade federation stuff was nothing but a cover up where EVERYONE was in the dark except for Sidious and Maul. NOBODY takes the time to think about that.

I'll be the first to admit that I love the OT more than the prequels....and I'll never watch the prequels as much as I have, or will, the OT. But there was a lot more going on in these last three films than people acknowledge.

As for Lucas as a director, I saw American Graffitti for the first time about a year ago. I was very impressed with the film.

The best Star Wars fight was Star Wars Kid vs. Himself.

Nerds. :P

RTB

838637[/snapback]

:lol:

Didn't that kid sue over the release of that tape? That was some funny sh--....

Oh, man....any fan of this franchise will no doubt recognize how pivotal and meaningful many of those fights are. If I HAD to pick one, I'd have to go with Luke v. Vader from ROTJ.

When you think about how intense the emotions are, and how things just come completely full circle from start to finish, it's just awesome. That's part of the reason why I won't ever consider ROTJ a weak film. Sure, the ewoks were tacky. But 60-70% of that movie is just awesome.

838503[/snapback]

Completely agreed. Luke Vader II was far and away the best duel. Its a classic medieval duel too, with classic swordsmanship and sword fighting. Not all of this ninja jump everywhere sh-- from the prequels. Its just 2 warriors, slugging away at each other, attack, parry, attack again. The prequels were too concerned with flipping and hopping around it was tough to actually tell when they were trying to hit each other. In Luke Vader, they are plain and simply trying to hack the other to pieces and defending themsevles. A great duel.

Completely agreed. Luke Vader II was far and away the best duel. Its a classic medieval duel too, with classic swordsmanship and sword fighting. Not all of this ninja jump everywhere sh-- from the prequels. Its just 2 warriors, slugging away at each other, attack, parry, attack again. The prequels were too concerned with flipping and hopping around it was tough to actually tell when they were trying to hit each other. In Luke Vader, they are plain and simply trying to hack the other to pieces and defending themsevles. A great duel.

838682[/snapback]

Right on....that fight sequence had everything you could possibly want (with the exception of having naked women dancing in the background).