Last Weeks QB Stats

AnthonyF

Average pass attempts 33.... Losman 13. Nearest to him was Alex Smith with 20 (who also rushed 8 times) in a game they won and were always up by over a TD (closest 16-10) and then they got a FG.

Obviously 31 other managers are out to lunch or if they had Losman would also throw only 13 times.

Let's then review the QB's who we'll consider either inexperienced or in the lower tier of QB's and their attempts.

Remember this is 2 weeks in a row...

Leinart 38

Rivers 36

Romo 29

Huard 38

Harrington 35

Brunell 31

Young 25 (8 rushes)

Carr 32

Frye 22

Walter 33

Wallce 23

Gradkowski 32

So let's hear more blah, blah blah that we were playing the Colts and it almost worked.

What would have worked is 3 times in the redzone and more then 3 pass attempts...

So again, it's not really JP it's playcalling. Maybe the powers that be knew that he would get killed from the pass rush with no o-line?

836581[/snapback]

What about Andrew Walter and his O-line? What about earlier in the year vs. Minnesota, NYJ and Detroit when he did throw more? Let him get killed or see what he can do.

Look at Dallas. All of a sudden their line looks good when they have a mobile QB.

Put JP oin positions to negate the O-line. It does not take a genious to know that no-huddle, shot gun, roll outs & short drops can mask some of the problems with the line.

If Losman is incapable of doing the job, then fine, we'll see it and figure it out.

What about Andrew Walter and his O-line?  What about earlier in the year vs. Minnesota, NYJ and Detroit when he did throw more?  Let him get killed or see what he can do.

Look at Dallas.  All of a sudden their line looks good when they have a mobile QB.

Put JP oin positions to negate the O-line.  It does not take a genious to know that no-huddle, shot gun, roll outs & short drops can mask some of the problems with the line.

If Losman is incapable of doing the job, then fine, we'll see it and figure it out.

836589[/snapback]

I've found it surprising that JP hasn't been in shotgun or rolled out hardly at all these last two games. I recall one roll out against the Packers (which was a nice 15 yard pick-up on a pass to Shelton) and not really any shotgun snaps in either of the last two games.

The other disconcerting thing with the playcalling is that when JP drops back, he's hardly had any screen or quick-pass opportunities. The slant (for a 1st down) to Lee Evans on Sunday was the first of its kind I've seen from this offense. How about some more quick slants and outs? How about some more WR and RB screens (to players other than Peerless Price)? How about a few designed QB runs? When was the last time we saw JP run a playaction bootleg roll-out? I loved the Price reverse call last week--how about a few of those to Lee Evans? If the o-line is as terrible as it appears, the staff needs to get creative. They have got to shoot for at least 175 yards passing per game, imo.

What about Andrew Walter and his O-line?  What about earlier in the year vs. Minnesota, NYJ and Detroit when he did throw more?  Let him get killed or see what he can do.

Look at Dallas.  All of a sudden their line looks good when they have a mobile QB.

Put JP oin positions to negate the O-line.  It does not take a genious to know that no-huddle, shot gun, roll outs & short drops can mask some of the problems with the line.

836589[/snapback]

I agree it's a catch 22, however obviously the playcalling called for them to run the ball, keep manning off the field as much as possible as well as not let the Colts D-line T-up JP every time he goes back to throw.

I firmly believe that with his protection, whether he was setting up in shotgun, planning on rolling out, etc. he would get killed. The Bills o-line can not block worth a damn.

I agree it's a catch 22, however obviously the playcalling called for them to run the ball, keep manning off the field as much as possible as well as not let the Colts D-line T-up JP every time he goes back to throw.

I firmly believe that with his protection, whether he was setting up in shotgun, planning on rolling out, etc. he would get killed.  The Bills o-line can not block worth a damn.

836639[/snapback]

The difference is this.... with the QB under center, he has to drop back 5 steps takes say 2 seconds. Then look for receiver 1, receiver 2 ..... bam. He's getting hit or has someone right in his face. So he's throwing rushed or getting sacked after 3 - 3.5 seconds.

In a shotgun, the ball is snapped; he's already back and looks at reciever 1 - who's running a slant and ....bam. He's throwing the ball in 2-2.5 seconds. Maybe its not always complete, but its not nearly as bad. Then mix in a few rollouts, a few bombs down field, and a RB draw from that shotgun position. And what do you know, suddenly we're not that predictable. And maybe we finally getto see if JP can be a QB.

The difference is this....  with the QB under center, he has to drop back 5 steps takes say 2 seconds.  Then look for receiver 1, receiver 2 ..... bam. He's getting hit or has someone right in his face. So he's throwing rushed or getting sacked after 3 - 3.5 seconds. 

In a shotgun, the ball is snapped; he's already back and looks at reciever 1 - who's running a slant and ....bam. He's throwing the ball in 2-2.5 seconds.  Maybe its not always complete, but its not nearly as bad.  Then mix in a few rollouts, a few bombs down field, and a RB draw from that shotgun position.  And what do you know, suddenly we're not that predictable.  And maybe we finally getto see if JP can be a QB.

836658[/snapback]

Not NEARLY enough shotgun in this offense.

Another moron, I'm shocked.

Again, you CAN NOT win against indy in a passing shootout. Your only hope is to run the ball and keep manning off the field.

836646[/snapback]

Joe, every time someone disagrees with your point of view it doesn't make them a moron.

That being said, I agree with your point about getting into a shootout with the Colts. However, they STILL needed to throw the ball a few more times in order to try to put more than FGs up. They simply were not going to win by putting up FGs. Running the ball on 3rd and goal from the 9 is inexcusable. Rarely throwing on 1st down (the easiest down to throw on) isn't going to work either. I agree that the Bills needed to predominantly run the ball but I would have liked to have seen, oh, 20 total attempts or so.

Another moron, I'm shocked.

Again, you CAN NOT win against indy in a passing shootout. Your only hope is to run the ball and keep manning off the field.

836646[/snapback]

Not necessarily.

Look at it this way. Would you rather bet on your quarterback having 11 possessions against Manning with his 9 ? That is your best case if you take the air out of the ball and turn them over twice.

A sucker bet.

Not NEARLY enough shotgun in this offense.

836661[/snapback]

But shotgun is where he is getting killed on 3rd down for then this takes away the run threat and defenses pin their ears back. What they need to do is call more quick passes and playaction passes on 1st down when the defenses have 8 or more in the box expecting a run. The also need to pass more with base personell and run the ball more when they run 3 Wide to keep the D off balance and become less predictable.

But shotgun is where he is getting killed on 3rd down for then this takes away the run threat and defenses pin their ears back. What they need to do is call more quick passes and playaction passes on 1st down when the defenses have 8 or more in the box expecting a run. The also need to pass more with base personell and run the ball more when they run 3 Wide to keep the D off balance and become less predictable.

836683[/snapback]

I don't remember all that many shotgun snaps, even on third down, this year.

Joe, every time someone disagrees with your point of view it doesn't make them a moron. 

836675[/snapback]

Generally, it's just the opposite.

But this time Joe's right. What kind of bull sh-- !@#$ing excues for analysis was that supposed to be? Losman, in a game plan that called for him not to pass, against a team you don't want to get into a track meet with, sucks because other QBs on other teams playing other opponents with other game plans passed more? ;)

You'd think, if Losman sucked as bad as everyone claims, someone would have made a coherent argument for that position. Instead, we get retards like AnthonyF. Can anyone post an argument for Losman being a bad QB without drooling all over their keyboard?

Generally, it's just the opposite.

But this time Joe's right.  What kind of bull sh-- !@#$ing excues for analysis was that supposed to be?  Losman, in a game plan that called for him not to pass, against a team you don't want to get into a track meet with, sucks because other QBs on other teams playing other opponents with other game plans passed more?  ;)

You'd think, if Losman sucked as bad as everyone claims, someone would have made a coherent argument for that position.  Instead, we get retards like AnthonyF.  Can anyone post an argument for Losman being a bad QB without drooling all over their keyboard?

836690[/snapback]

Thanks, I think.

:w00t:

9 of 13 is what, a 75% completion rate?

That being said, I agree with your point about getting into a shootout with the Colts.  However, they STILL needed to throw the ball a few more times in order to try to put more than FGs up.  They simply were not going to win by putting up FGs.  Running the ball on 3rd and goal from the 9 is inexcusable.  Rarely throwing on 1st down (the easiest down to throw on) isn't going to work either.  I agree that the Bills needed to predominantly run the ball but I would have liked to have seen, oh, 20 total attempts or so.

836675[/snapback]

Throwing on second and 3 when you have softened them up a bit with runs, also does not hurt. Usually Losman is asked to throw in passing downs only or they give up and call a draw.

Red Zone calls on Sunday (from memory)....

Run,run run (third & 10)... From 12 yard line, run, screen to Proce -2 yrds, pass to Shelton 5 yards short of first down if caught... Last chance, run 7 yards, run -3 & sack on third and 6....

Useless calls.

Add to that 3 for 3 first drive on passes (all third down) + 1 pass interference and then 2 drop backs the rest of the half (one incompetion & a sack)... I guess that means they opened up the seond half).

We kept Indy off the field the first drive where we compelted passes and then gave up in the red zone (8 min 8 seconds)... and then a 4:25 drive where we got a fg and also threw 3 times + 1 sack and another 3:11 drive where we threw 4 times (2 completions).

Thus 10 of our 13 pass attempts were on our longest clock consuming drives.... Interesting.... Sort of screws up the ball possession argument...

I don't remember all that many shotgun snaps, even on third down, this year.

836686[/snapback]

Oh yes they are; %75 on 3rd down JP is in shotgun; especially the 2nd quarter on! That is what got me so frustrated as this made them so predictable. They run up the middle on 1st down for minimal gain. They hardly ever pass the ball on 1st down and when they do, it's not even distribution to get passes to the TE's or RBs to make 2nd and 3rd down more manageable. Or if they do have a decent 1st down pickup, there will always be a sack or penalty to set them back. Almost every meaninful drive is ended this way. We may get lucky and pick up a few 1st downs on plays that gain 10 yards or more but along the way a sack or penalty will set us back and put us in 3rd or long with JP being target practice in shotgun!

Prove it.

836724[/snapback]

From NFL.com play-by-play:

They indicate when a play is in shotgun formation. Do a search for "(Shotgun) J.Losman". You'll find it once, on the first drive of the game.

If you search for "(Shotgun) P.Manning" you'll find it 21 times.

From NFL.com play-by-play:

They indicate when a play is in shotgun formation. Do a search for "(Shotgun) J.Losman". You'll find it once, on the first drive of the game.

If you search for "(Shotgun) P.Manning" you'll find it 21 times.

836747[/snapback]

But that's because manning is not so good a QB. Why would a really good QB need a Shotgun... Conversely why do you need it when you are handing the ball off....

But that's because manning is not so good a QB.  Why would a really good QB need a Shotgun...  Conversely why do you need it when you are handing the ball off....

836761[/snapback]

I know that has to be a JOKE. ;) To say Manning is not good says a lot in its self :w00t:

I always thought the shot gun formation, was to allow the QB a little more time to see the DF develope.........

Good thing JK never ran the shot gun formation, and handed the ball to TT. :doh: