A.J. Smith

I might be crazy for thinking this, but the longer I follow this team the more I think Ralph treats people who don't do anything for him great and People who do good by him horrible. Made TD President and GM, even though he never put a winner on the field. Never game Polian or Butler that kind of power, even though they were successful.

Fired Polian who is one of the best GMs in the game. Fired Butler, even though he was relatively successful. I think Butler deserves a fair bit of credit for the success in SD. Fired Wade, even though he was relatively successful. Not to mention he wouldn't pay out Wade's contract. I bet he thinks the arbitrator was wrong :doh: .

I might be crazy for thinking this, but the longer I follow this team the more I think Ralph treats people who don't do anything for him great and People who do good by him horrible. Made TD President and GM, even though he never put a winner on the field. Never game Polian or Butler that kind of power, even though they were successful.

Fired Polian who is one of the best GMs in the game. Fired Butler, even though he was relatively successful. I think Butler deserves a fair bit of credit for the success in SD. Fired Wade, even though he was relatively successful. Not to mention he wouldn't pay out Wade's contract. I bet he thinks the arbitrator was wrong :doh: .

836160[/snapback]

There's some truth to what you're saying. I've heard that Polian was fired for being too egotistical, and for keeping Wilson out of the loop. Butler was fired because he apparently refused to negotiate an extension. A.J. Smith wasn't hired as his replacement because Wilson apparently preferred a guy with some experience (TD) to a young whippersnapper who'd never held a GM position before. Also Smith may have sided with Butler in his dispute with Wilson.

There's some truth to what you're saying. I've heard that Polian was fired for being too egotistical, and for keeping Wilson out of the loop. Butler was fired because he apparently refused to negotiate an extension. A.J. Smith wasn't hired as his replacement because Wilson apparently preferred a guy with some experience (TD) to a young whippersnapper who'd never held a GM position before. Also Smith may have sided with Butler in his dispute with Wilson.

836181[/snapback]

There were alot of things going on with the Polian firing besides just football. I think you had some egos colliding with Polian & Wilson. Also, I heard towards the end that Polian really started showing a lack of respect for Wilson towards the end, even calling him out in a season ending meeting the last year. Polian, at that time(still is) probably figured he could name his price as he was one of the hot shot gms of the league. It is too bad it didnt work out because the guy new knows how to run a team. Butler was good on draft day, but miscalculated greatly on giving out salaries & was loyal to a fault with players.

Wade fired himself when he "fell on the sword" for the worst coordinator choice in NFL history. ;)

836202[/snapback]

And it's not like he created the success...he just happened to be DC under Marv when Marv retired as coach and seemed to be the logical successor. Wade was overlooked for the first year or so when Flutie was the talk of the town, but then became the focus during the QB controversy.

If Wade stuck around as DC under someone else, he would have been better off.

The biggest mistake Ralph made was letting this guy get away. Take a look at what he's done with the Chargers. Lets face it until Ralphs willing to cough up some real money will be in this stage for along time.

836124[/snapback]

Smith trashed Wilson on his way out the door, he did the speaking for Butler. I believe Ralph actually wanted Smith, as he subsequently interviewed the man for the GM job shortly thereafter, but how are you going to hire somebody who has so little regard for you? I always thought it was bizarre that AJ was even called in under the circumstances.

Anyway, Smith would have made a good GM here and he likely would have kept Dwight Adams and it would have been great for the organization to have that continuity and respect for it's tradition. But the combo of Donahoe and Modrak should not have failed either. Those guys had decent personnel histories, but I believe some of the things we've heard about Modrak, specifically that he won't go out on the road and that he is a lazy scout. I think this would account for his lack, IMO, of late round steals. I think it really shows up with regard to line play. With big guys, it's about want-to. You can get a pretty good idea if a corner has a chance by checking his measurables and seeing them at the combine. At a lot of other positions their potential jumps out on tape as well. But I don't think you can judge a players potential desire to succeed unless you are really out there working at it, digging behind the scenes, comparing their personalities to those of players who you've seen succeed, etc.

Smith trashed Wilson on his way out the door, he did the speaking for Butler.  I believe Ralph actually wanted Smith, as he subsequently interviewed the man for the GM job shortly thereafter, but how are you going to hire somebody who has so little regard for you?  I always thought it was bizarre that AJ was even called in under the circumstances.

Anyway,  Smith would have made a good GM here and he likely would have kept Dwight Adams and it would have been great for the organization to have that continuity and respect for it's tradition.  But the combo of Donahoe and Modrak should not have failed either.  Those guys had decent personnel histories, but I believe some of the things we've heard about Modrak, specifically that he won't go out on the road and that he is a lazy scout.  I think this would account for his lack, IMO, of late round steals.  I think it really shows up with regard to line play.  With big guys, it's about want-to.  You can get a pretty good idea if a corner has a chance by checking his measurables and seeing them at the combine.  At a lot of other positions their potential jumps out on tape as well.  But I don't think you can judge a players potential desire to succeed unless you are really out there working at it, digging behind the scenes, comparing their personalities to those of players who you've seen succeed, etc.

837077[/snapback]

nice post, badol. nice to see you coming around - if that's the right way to put it - regarding the artist formerly known as "A Jerk"!

836181[/snapback]

Smith definitely sided with Butler -- they were practically best friends

nice post, badol. nice to see you coming around - if that's the right way to put it - regarding the artist formerly known as "A Jerk"!

837138[/snapback]

Having had a chance to speak with AJ on a couple of occasions, I can say AJ is not a Jerk. In fact, quite the opposite.

Polian didn't get along with people that Ralph trusted implicitly....and I believe he insulted Ralph's daughter as well.

Butler refused to negotiate a contract extension...even though Ralph wanted to work things out

Smith followed his buddy rather than interview for the vacant GM job here

Wade refused to fire that moronic special teams coach, Ronnie Jones

Wade was fired because he wanted to keep Flutie.

Ralph Wilson wanted to keep Rob Johnson.

Take that to the bank.

Wade refused to fire that moronic special teams coach, Ronnie Jones

838202[/snapback]

Wade was fired because he wanted to keep Flutie.

Ralph Wilson wanted to keep Rob Johnson.

Take that to the bank.

838246[/snapback]

I'd get arrested for writing bad checks. Wade was fired for insubordination for refusing to fire Ronnie Jones...well-known fact...I've never seen any evidence to say that the story was a lie.

As far as Flutie-Johnson...people claim Ralph hated the runt...yet Ralph was the driving force behind Flutie getting that big contract extension..I wsh someone "hated" me that much... :lol:

I'd get arrested for writing bad checks. Wade was fired for insubordination for refusing to fire Ronnie Jones...well-known fact...I've never seen any evidence to say that the story was a lie.

As far as Flutie-Johnson...people claim Ralph hated the runt...yet Ralph was the driving force behind Flutie getting that big contract extension..I wsh someone "hated" me that much... :lol:

838336[/snapback]

it's not that clear cut. he wanted to make jones, a capable d-coordinator, LB coach. in 1994, jones was the defensive coordinator for the arizona cardinals, which had the #2 defense overall that year. the point is that while jones may have been a crappy ST coach, he was a proven and capable defensive coach. wilson flew off the handle and fired a pretty good coach over a minor issue that nevertheless riled up the fans. it's that simple.