Religion Encourages Hatred

Tux of Borg

My Webpage

LONDON — Organized religion fuels anti-gay discrimination and other forms of bias, pop star Elton John said in an interview published Saturday.

"I think religion has always tried to turn hatred toward gay people," John said in the Observer newspaper's Music Monthly Magazine. "Religion promotes the hatred and spite against gays."

"But there are so many people I know who are gay and love their religion," he said. "From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate."

John also criticized religious leaders for failing to do anything about conflicts around the world.

"Why aren't they having a conclave? Why aren't they coming together?"

John said those in his own field have been similarly lax.

"It's like the peace movement in the '60s. Musicians got through to people by getting out there and doing peace concerts, but we don't seem to do them any more," he said. "If John Lennon were alive today, he'd be leading it with a vengeance."

November 11, 2006 - 6:00 p.m. CST

My Webpage

LONDON — Organized religion fuels anti-gay discrimination and other forms of bias, pop star Elton John said in an interview published Saturday.

"I think religion has always tried to turn hatred toward gay people," John said in the Observer newspaper's Music Monthly Magazine. "Religion promotes the hatred and spite against gays."

"But there are so many people I know who are gay and love their religion," he said. "From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate."

John also criticized religious leaders for failing to do anything about conflicts around the world.

"Why aren't they having a conclave? Why aren't they coming together?"

John said those in his own field have been similarly lax.

"It's like the peace movement in the '60s. Musicians got through to people by getting out there and doing peace concerts, but we don't seem to do them any more," he said. "If John Lennon were alive today, he'd be leading it with a vengeance."

November 11, 2006 - 6:00 p.m. CST

834577[/snapback]

I agree with a lot of this, honestly. There are a large number of "if Pastor Joe says it, then it must be true!" types out there. If Pastor Joe says gays are the bane of society, then gays are the bane of society!

That aside, he's not simply speaking of Christians. Where's the muslim outrage to all of the middle eastern extremists? The religious *leaders* really haven't done a whole hell of a lot on that front.

Edit: Just to make sure I'm clear, I don't believe religion is the cause for hatred of gays. I think that's a line of crap. I think that's more the fault of "kill everything different" syndrom.

Jeff

My Webpage

834577[/snapback]

Where is all the unorganized religious outrage?

Or how about the extended family?

Usually it is only members of extended families that are biased.

That aside, he's not simply speaking of Christians.  Where's the muslim outrage to all of the middle eastern extremists?  The religious *leaders* really haven't done a whole hell of a lot on that front.

834598[/snapback]

I agree. You see "peaceful" Muslims complaining all the time about how their religion is not to blame for the terrorisism, yet what do they do about it? If they spent as much time taking action as they do trying to convince us that they are REALLY a peaceful people (which I do believe....honst), then maybe the problem woulnd't be as bad as it is. As far as I'm concerned, the religion of Islam is a disgrace as a whole until the larger majority come together and take a stand.

Science H Logic!

His science is flawed.  Only the Sea Otters answer to the great question is right

834731[/snapback]

Once again South park is right on the money. If there wasn't religion to blame, people would find something else. Religion isn't the cause of the worlds problems, humans are.

Elton John is gay and feels hatred.

Gosh, Elton, maybe people don't hate you because your gay, maybe they hate you for putting out songs like "I'm still standing", "Little Jeannie", "Careless Whisper" and "Island Girl". Did you ever think of that Elton?

I agree. You see "peaceful" Muslims complaining all the time about how their religion is not to blame for the terrorisism, yet what do they do about it? If they spent as much time taking action as they do trying to convince us that they are REALLY a peaceful people (which I do believe....honst), then maybe the problem woulnd't be as bad as it is.  As far as I'm concerned, the religion of Islam is a disgrace as a whole until the larger majority come together and take a stand.

834616[/snapback]

The problem with that is the extremists believe that the "peaceful" Muslims are not Muslim enough. They are little more than infidels to those who want to blow everything up and kill everyone who doesn't agree with them...right down to the T.

So, I think that there is some fear present within the "peaceful" Muslim community, regarding the extremists.

However, if there were Christians who were terrorists in the name of God, you better believe I'd be speaking out against them (and probably calling them vicious unchristian bastards).

One line I heard years ago about people who aren't willing to give leeway to other belief systems said that if you are unrelenting in that, suddenly you feel ostracized from everyone but your spouse...and you're really not sure about her, either.

All of a sudden, you're Ross Perot circa 1992.

Since I am a Christian pastor, I respectfully disagree with Mr. John.   But since the British were boorish Colonialists for several hundred years, I propose we ban the Brits.

834635[/snapback]

As an agnostic looking in there appears to be some truth in what he says. Disagreeing with him is fine, bue refute what he said. Convince us that a lot of your "flock" would not fear they would wander aimlessly if it were not for your "herding."

Imagine

John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven

It's easy if you try

No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people

Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world...

But I'm not the only one

And the world will live as one

Elton John is gay and feels hatred.

Gosh, Elton, maybe people don't hate you because your gay, maybe they hate you for putting out songs like "I'm still standing", "Little Jeannie", "Careless Whisper" and "Island Girl".  Did you ever think of that Elton?

835052[/snapback]

He didn't sing "Careless Whisper." :blink::doh:

He didn't sing "Careless Whisper."   :blink:   :(

835366[/snapback]

Oh great, another music expert.

Yes he did. :doh:

Even though he did, that's not the point. People hate him for his unbelievably crappy music, not because he is a homosexual. He is 60 and very ugly anyway. Isn't it about time to give up sex of any kind?

Here's an idea Elton. Shut up and don't sing or have sex.

Imagine

John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven

It's easy if you try

No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people

Living for today...

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace...

But I'm not the only one

And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world...

But I'm not the only one

And the world will live as one

835355[/snapback]

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for except Jodie Foster

And no religion too

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace... until John Hinckley shot me.

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world... but not touching Yoko's swiss bank account

But I'm not the only one....there are plenty of stupid people to go around

And the world will live as one....until we get beheaded by radical muslims

Yes, I changed some of the words but only slightly and only to point out how nye eve Lennon was. It is not just religion causing problems. It is also bad songs like Elton John writes, crazy people like Hinckley and hypocrites like Yoko. How would getting rid of religion stop radical muslims from beheading people or crazies from shooting people?

Oh great, another music expert. 

Yes he did.  :blink:

Even though he did, that's not the point.  People hate him for his unbelievably crappy music, not because he is a homosexual.  He is 60 and very ugly anyway.  Isn't it about time to give up sex of any kind? 

Here's an idea Elton.  Shut up and don't sing or have sex.

835385[/snapback]

George Michael sang that song, not Elton John. :D

I've always wanted to start a website "Celebrity Deathplane", where people can come and put the 100 celebs they would most like to see on a plane headed for disaster. The website could compile the votes and show who makes the plane.

Elton John would be sitting somewhere around 3D I believe.