Commercials

Buffal0 Bill5

I hate all commercials during football... last night NBC assumed Belichick would challenge the Harrison touchdown play and went to commercial....old Bill kept the flag and they cut back to the game out of the commercial during the extra point. Commercials are ruining the game experience.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldnt agree more. The song sucks & mellonhead should give it up.  Old f**k.

This our truck, this our country, tell that to my brother in law who just lost his job at American Axle because Chevy sold there contract for axles to a plant in Mexico.

826687[/snapback]

Americans demand inexpensive goods produced from low-cost labor sources. And so a good deal of American manufacturing has been supplanted...Chinese clothing. Chinese electronics. Chinese appliances. Or Japanese, or Korean. Honduran clothes and Indian clothes. Mexican axles. And so on.

Lest someone start on a President Bush rant, the decline of American manufacturing started a long time ago. As well as huge trade deficits.

I've seen a lot of unions close a company's operations because they wouldn't bend an inch in the face of the changing economy. And I'm not an enemy of unions.

I recall when the first robotics were installed in the auto manufacturing plant I worked at. The UAW skilled tradesmen that installed them stenciled first names of the workers who lost their job on them.

Nice of them, eh?...

Americans demand inexpensive goods produced from low-cost labor sources. And so a good deal of American manufacturing has been supplanted...Chinese clothing. Chinese electronics. Chinese appliances. Or Japanese, or Korean. Honduran clothes and Indian clothes. Mexican axles. And so on.

Lest someone start on a President Bush rant, the decline of American manufacturing started a long time ago. As well as huge trade deficits.

I've seen a lot of unions close a company's operations because they wouldn't bend an inch in the face of the changing economy. And I'm not an enemy of unions.

I recall when the first robotics were installed in the auto manufacturing plant I worked at. The UAW skilled tradesmen that installed them stenciled first names of the workers who lost their job on them.

Nice of them, eh?...

826776[/snapback]

I see it from both sides. I have a white collar job however my wife's family all worked at GM/A Axle. Believe me I have butted heads with her father many of times about Union greed & how they are a big problem with driving the manufacturing jobs out of this country. With that being said, this commercial is not only offensive preying on American pride, but it is hypocritical of GM also. Plus the song is annoying.

Actually I think the one they play during the Sabre's games is even worse for Labatts, where the guy shows up to about 6 parties with a six pack in his hand. Not that the commercial is so bad, but they play that one every break. Am even more sick of that the the Chevy one.

Last spring duringthe playoffs, I told my wife the one good thing about the last two rounds not being on MSG was I didn't have to wathc that commercial anymore.

I see it from both sides.  I have a white collar job however my wife's family all worked at GM/A Axle.  Believe me I have butted heads with her father many of times about Union greed & how they are a big problem with driving the manufacturing jobs out of this country.  With that being said, this commercial is not only offensive preying on American pride, but it is hypocritical of GM also.  Plus the song is annoying.

826799[/snapback]

They couldn't survive without some degree of parts outsourcing. I'd note that they have worker retirement obgligations for current and past workers that are light years more than the foreign competition. Locally, Ford will be closing their Batavia, OH fwd transmission plant. Pretty good discharge benefits - minimum $100K, with one (!) year of service. Max pay-out is $140K.

Still, per my previous post, GM tries to do as much here and still survive. I'd note that Canada and Mexico demand that US manufacturers set up some manufacturing in their nations, else, they make it very hard to market the US-made products there. I've first-hand experience with this.

I do hope your brother-in-law finds something. In my career (management, process engineering, labs, manufacturing, quality, haz. waste, safety etc.), I've been laid off from 2 auto manufacturers and a chemical manufacturer - plant closings, and I chose not to relocate, and a government contractor that was booted. Not fun.

I agree, the song is annoying. But Geico, Sharper Image, and Vonage spots bother me more. And anything with that clown that hawks oxy-whatever cleaning products. ;)

Nice of them, eh?...

826776[/snapback]

Don't let facts get in the way... :P:P:P

In Gm's most recent case... The have been crying "poor mouth" early for a few years now... To the UAW...

The UAW made huge concessions in signing its most recent contract... Unlike say, Chrysler where the UAW didn't...

Who is doing better now???...

So you can't slack the union...

:blink::lol:

I see it from both sides.  I have a white collar job however my wife's family all worked at GM/A Axle.  Believe me I have butted heads with her father many of times about Union greed & how they are a big problem with driving the manufacturing jobs out of this country.  With that being said, this commercial is not only offensive preying on American pride, but it is hypocritical of GM also.  Plus the song is annoying.

826799[/snapback]

So you know about how the UAW made it sweeter for GM this time and "took it on the chin?"

Quite a "trick bag" for other bargaining units that follow coming to the table...

:blink::lol:

One version or another, of that commercial, was on every commercial break of the Sunday night football game, until the last one of the first half.  Not only is the commercial annoying, I am sorry, I find the one where they use the aftermath of 9/11 and Katrina to be really offensive.  This is our country indeed, using national tragedy to promote a product.  Hey Chevy, why not make a fuggin better vehichle, make it a little cheaper, and stop wasting your money on these offensive commercials?  Or at the very least, quit bullshitting people?  Chevy has gone the way of corporate America, and a significant amount of their production is now being done overseas...right after they say, "this is our philosopy", why not another photo showing some starving American family and say "this is our layoff..."  Sorry, I will stop my rant now, but if Chevy had any decency, they would yank these awful ads right now.

826410[/snapback]

dead on...

i'm not a yank obviously - but those ads really p*ss me right off. and I think the disasters they show do little to speak of what kind of a country america is - rather, i think it is the people and the responses to those disasters that really sum up your country. that - and an overbearing military and a gung ho attitude to deploying it.

dead on...

i'm not a yank obviously - but those ads really p*ss me right off.  and I think the disasters they show do little to speak of what kind of a country america is - rather, i think it is the people and the responses to those disasters that really sum up your country.  that - and an overbearing military and a gung ho attitude to deploying it.

827927[/snapback]

But, it is "our country" good with the bad... That is what the ad is showing (blue).

For the life of me... I can't figure out why people are so pissed off? Is it really the neagtive images alone Nick?

I know this is gonna sound brazen but, no matter what befalls America... In the end, out of that adversity, we will make it better second to none. Argue all you want... The quality of American vehicles and the product produced is better if not the best because of the past import "push"... The ad wants you to believe it will happen as a country also because of the recent disasters... We grow...

And this all ties into selling trucks.

You can go buy a Toyota Tundra or a Silverado... No matter what sh------- products or events (in this ad case: 911/Katrina) in the past... You will be prouder to be an American in an American truck.

Like I said before... Jeep does it with "freedom", the flag and being the original... Harley does it too... want to be on a "rice burner" vs. an "American classic Harley?"

People just get so worked up if the images aren't sugar coated (showing Katrina/911)...

And also, IMO, I think the "class warfare" really shakes people up and gives the ones that don't like the ads and uneasy feeling... Even if they claim, it is just the ad that annoys...

Things go deeper than just being mindlessly annoyed... IMO.

Don't let facts get in the way... :P  :P  :P

In Gm's most recent case... The have been crying "poor mouth" early for a few years now... To the UAW...

The UAW made huge concessions in signing its most recent contract... Unlike say, Chrysler where the UAW didn't...

Who is doing better now???...

So you can't slack the union...

:blink:  :lol:

827895[/snapback]

Yeah. Huge concessions. I think their health coverage co-pay went from five bucks to ten bucks... :P

I hate when musicians sell out to advertising.

Bob Seger's "Like a Rock' to sell GM trucks

Zeppelin selling Cadillacs

Elton John selling Sassoon jeans

the Stones shilling for Microsoft.

the list goes on and on

As Neil Young said "ain't singin for pepsi. ain't singing for coke. don't sing for nobody, makes me look like a joke"

I hate when musicians sell out to advertising.

Bob Seger's "Like a Rock' to sell GM trucks

Zeppelin selling Cadillacs

Elton John selling Sassoon jeans

the Stones shilling for Microsoft.

the list goes on and on

As Neil Young said "ain't singin for pepsi. ain't singing for coke. don't sing for nobody, makes me look like a joke"

828006[/snapback]

I totally agree...

Is there a point... Age of the music that it will become public domain?

And the record companies have a big sayin it too...

Right??

Every car and oil company are happily and slowly killing us as they count our mon ey. They all could be producing different vehicles with different fuels. With this attitude it is not surprising that oil and tire companies ripped out all of the light rail systems in most cities to allow for highways. Yeah, spend time worrying about the song, it is exactly what they want. Keep sucking on the oil tit as we all go to hell.

Don't once again let facts get in your way... :blink:

GM markets 44 models in the USA (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac, Saturn,  and Saab).

Here's where they are manufactured:

USA - 32 models

(Lucerne, Ranier, Terraza, CTS, DTS, Escalade, SRX, STS, XLR, Cobalt, Corvette, Colorado, Malibu, Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado, Trailblazer, Uplander, Canyon, Envoy, Sierra, Yukon, Aura, Ion, Relay, Sky, Vue, 9-7X, G5, G6, Solstice, Vibe)

Canada - 6 models (LaCross, Equinox, Monte Carlo, Impala, Grand Prix, Torrent)

Mexico - 3 models (Rendevezvous, Avalanche, HHR)

Sweden - 2 models (Saab 9-3, 9-5)

S. Korea - 1 model (Aveo)

826634[/snapback]

Do you guys get the Aussie built Monaro?

Every car and oil company are happily and slowly killing us as they count our mon ey.  They all could be producing different vehicles with different fuels.  With this attitude it is not surprising that oil and tire companies ripped out all of the light rail systems in most cities to allow for highways.  Yeah, spend time worrying about the song, it is exactly what they want. Keep sucking on the oil tit as we all go to hell.

828025[/snapback]

But...but...but, what will the black helicopters run on? :blink: