wouldn't find this outside of WNY

I am saying that we are starved for attention when something like this is posted...like I said, it is a great letter and one that I am guilty of never taking the time to show appreciation to others...maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hill here, but it really would have meant a hell of a lot more if, like I said, it was from Florida or somewhere farther away than 100 miles. I may be totally off base with my "cynicism", but it really strikes me as funny, we puff out our chests over things like this, the same we do when some obscure sports writer dares to defile our beloved bills and we feel that the world is against us....and what the f*** is with the crack about fredonia state?

Ok, so the thread mentions WNY.  Big deal.  The letter makes no mention of kindness in WNY, only the kindness found in the Buffalo area.  It's a nice compliment and shows that Buffalo is a truly great community.  How in the world does this prove that we are starving for attention when no one in Buffalo wrote this letter?  Do you have a clue Pooj?  I know Fredonia State doesn't have the highest academic standards, but dude this is ridiculous.  Anyone that can spin a nice comment for Buffalo around like that is nothing more than a d!ckhead.  Unless you are just trying to rile people up, which if that's the case, you certainly did.

823691[/snapback]

sorry, but you are wrong and therefore a complete and udder moron, irregardless of what anyone says

823277[/snapback]

Funny - someone criticizing and calling someone a moron because of word usage- and then using the drastically incorrect word "irregardless."

The correct usage is "regardless." "Irregardless" is a double negative - an incorrect combining of words.

And for my 2 cents - the original post is a heartwarming one, even if the worker was from the neighboring region.

NOW - LET'S WIN SOME FOOTBALL GAMES.

I am saying that we are starved for attention when something like this is posted...like I said, it is a great letter and one that I am guilty of never taking the time to show appreciation to others...maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hill here, but it really would have meant a hell of a lot more if, like I said, it was from Florida or somewhere farther away than 100 miles.  I may be totally off base with my "cynicism", but it really strikes me as funny, we puff out our chests over things like this, the same we do when some obscure sports writer dares to defile our beloved bills and we feel that the world is against us....and what the  f*** is with the crack about fredonia state?

823734[/snapback]

This article was posted for one reason: I currently live in Boston and the people are just miserable here.

As bad as things are "perceived" by the natives of Buffalo - Buffalo has no reason to be starved for attention. They need to focus on themselves and grow a pair and confidence.

Buffalo is truly a great city - with awesome people - hands down: the friendliest people in the world. The folks in Buffalo HAVE no idea how good they have it. People here in Boston are cold and miserable.

That's all man - nothing more - nothing less - ask questions before reading into things.

Go Bills - Go Sabres (love listening to sports talk here in Boston after the Sabres steal a win from the B's).

Last I knew it didn't matter where a compliment came from as long as it was genuine.

are you kidding me?  if "Phelps" means Phelps, NY, that is just the other side of Rochester.....away from home for 2 weeks while less than 2 hours away?  Now if this was a person from say, Phelps, FL or Phelps, TX or wherever...but holy crap...this is practically a buffalo suburb(I know, I know, i am exaggerating).  Are we that desparate to find something to hang our hats on that we gloat over a Rochester person praising the "Buffalo Sprit"?  pretty sad!

823219[/snapback]

I am saying that we are starved for attention when something like this is posted...like I said, it is a great letter and one that I am guilty of never taking the time to show appreciation to others...maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hill here, but it really would have meant a hell of a lot more if, like I said, it was from Florida or somewhere farther away than 100 miles.  I may be totally off base with my "cynicism", but it really strikes me as funny, we puff out our chests over things like this, the same we do when some obscure sports writer dares to defile our beloved bills and we feel that the world is against us....and what the  f*** is with the crack about fredonia state?

823734[/snapback]

It's all about pride! I don't believe we puff our chests out more than anyone else and if we do it's because most people go out of their way to bash Buffalo. I am a Buffalonian and always will be. I enjoy reading positive articles about Buffalo and defend the city when it's knocked. I threw the Fredonia State comment out there to trigger a response. You are obviously proud to have gone there or you wouldn't have dropped the F bomb when I dissed the institution, that's the same way I am with Buffalo.

I know Fredonia State doesn't have the highest academic standards, but dude this is ridiculous. .

823691[/snapback]

For many years, Stanford, Harvard, and other big schools gave grades no lower than a "B". A student could be a dumb as the proverbial post, but graduate he did. Some standards... :devil:

For many years, Stanford, Harvard, and other big schools gave grades no lower than a "B".  A student could be a dumb as the proverbial post, but graduate he did. Some standards... :devil:

823994[/snapback]

It's all about the money....

Again, wasn't cracking on Fred. State. Just tried to get a reaction from Pooj to prove a point...

I am gonna take some heat for this "classic Buffalo" post... But there is a flip-side out there...

Not to bring out the negatives... Yet, there are... There is always two sides to a story... Weren't there reports of clean-up crews that were being harassed by some of the victims of the storm?

I am glad to see that there is a positive side to this story... Because all I was hearing was the negative...

I have to side with Pooj... And not trying to be a fuddy duudy here... This (thread topic) story comes from basically a local community 2 hours from Buffalo/other side of Rochester... :w00t::huh:

IMO, does nothing for a national view, we are starved for positive attention...

This is an old story... Gonna have to login in or pay to get the whole thing at BuffaloNews.com:

Here is a clip(s):

Thefts, assaults hamper efforts to restore power

Published on October 19, 2006

525 words

Lou Michel and T.J. Pignataro - NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Efforts to restore power and clean up the city are being slowed in some Buffalo neighborhoods by theft and assault against utility crews and other cleanup workers.

Since the cleanup began over the weekend, police reported at least six such incidents:

*A city cleanup crew was pelted with rocks, bottles and snowballs by a group of youths at 2:30 a.m. Tuesday at Fillmore and North Parade avenues.

*When a utility crew informed residents near Rodney and Wakefield avenues in the Central Park neighborhood - an area not previously affected by a loss of electricity - that they would temporarily lose power Saturday while other lines were re-energized, residents were incensed and took to the street. Police were called to defuse the situation, which never went beyond verbal attacks.

*A mobile GPS unit was stolen from an out-of-town power company truck Wednesday morning at Bailey and East Delavan avenues.

*The National Guard, making food deliveries Tuesday, came under fire from youths pelting them with snowballs at Hertel Avenue and Laforce Place and other debris on Maple Street.

*Three men were arrested Sunday evening attempting to steal a National Grid transformer, valued at more than $3,000, on Princeton Place in South Buffalo.

*Downed electrical wire was stolen on Princeton Place, apparently one of just several communities where thieves cut down and removed fallen lines to sell the copper and aluminum as scrap metal.

B-):D

Thefts, assaults hamper efforts to restore power

Published on October 19, 2006

525 words

Lou Michel and T.J. Pignataro - NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Efforts to restore power and clean up the city are being slowed in some Buffalo neighborhoods by theft and assault against utility crews and other cleanup workers.

Since the cleanup began over the weekend, police reported at least six such incidents:

*A city cleanup crew was pelted with rocks, bottles and snowballs by a group of youths at 2:30 a.m. Tuesday at Fillmore and North Parade avenues.

*When a utility crew informed residents near Rodney and Wakefield avenues in the Central Park neighborhood - an area not previously affected by a loss of electricity - that they would temporarily lose power Saturday while other lines were re-energized, residents were incensed and took to the street. Police were called to defuse the situation, which never went beyond verbal attacks.

*A mobile GPS unit was stolen from an out-of-town power company truck Wednesday morning at Bailey and East Delavan avenues.

*The National Guard, making food deliveries Tuesday, came under fire from youths pelting them with snowballs at Hertel Avenue and Laforce Place and other debris on Maple Street.

*Three men were arrested Sunday evening attempting to steal a National Grid transformer, valued at more than $3,000, on Princeton Place in South Buffalo.

*Downed electrical wire was stolen on Princeton Place, apparently one of just several communities where thieves cut down and removed fallen lines to sell the copper and aluminum as scrap metal.

:w00t:  :huh:

824422[/snapback]

What were they going to do with the transformer?