My 10 cents on the rest of the season

Current record of 2-5, just what I assumed it would be. Thought the two wins would be Jets and Detroit ... but record wise just what I expected.

Following is based on a couple of things happening:

Defense is improved against the run with a health Spikes

This allows the pass defense to improve

O line improves over course of rest of year with players in correct positions

JP has more time to play within him self and not feel like its him or no one

Receivers as a group improve slightly with better decisions from JP

Running game improves slightly with better line

None of these in iteself is a big deal but if 4 of the 6 happen I think the following is possible

Nov. 5 Green Bay 1:00pm

Winnable game at home. Bills by 7 3-5 record

Nov. 12 @ Indianapolis 1:00pm

Definate loss, could be ugly, Colts by 18 3-6 record

Nov. 19 @ Houston 1:00pm

Will be an underdog on the road. Hoping that 2 games with the new line is making a difference. Bills by 3 4-6 record

Nov. 26 Jacksonville 1:00pm

This will be a game that would be an upset of they win but if they are doing 4 of the 6 items above, is winable. Bills lose by 3 4-7 recors

Dec. 3 San Diego 1:00pm

If the weather is nice, Chargers will roll, if the wather is a nasty december day will be close. Bills lose by 10 4-8 record

Dec. 10 @ NY Jets 1:00pm

Bills win a game they should have win the first time Bills by 10 5-8 record

Dec. 17 Miami 1:00pm

Miami's season will be long over and would not be shocked to see a new coach. Bills by 7 6-8 record

Dec. 24 Tennessee 1:00pm

This is a tossup game - if eather has a chance for the playoffs could be important, but doubt it will be. Home game for the Bills in the snow Bills by 3 7-8 record

Dec. 31 @ Baltimore 1:00pm

Can't see they winning this unless Baltimore has folded for some reason or already in. Bills lose by 10 7-9 record

Shame is 7-9 gets you nothing, not even a good draft pick. You stay in the middle of the pack and do not improve.

Thoughst?

First off, Laurence Maroney was a late first rounder, #21, I believe, so the argument that the Bills will not get a player later on in the 1st round are faulty. The rest of your post is optimistic, and I love that! Why NOT? The schedule is either extremely hard or presents the Bills with very winnable games! 7-9 is possible, but 6-10 or 5-11 are more likely. With a rebuilding team, I'm O.K. with the losing IF the front office puts this curture of losing behind them!! I want the Bills to be major news in the offseason, both in free agency and in the draft.

First off, Laurence Maroney was a late first rounder, #21, I believe, so the argument that the Bills will not get a player later on in the 1st round are faulty. The rest of your post is optimistic, and I love that! Why NOT? The schedule is either extremely hard or presents the Bills with very winnable games! 7-9 is possible, but 6-10 or 5-11 are more likely. With a rebuilding team, I'm O.K. with the losing IF the front office puts this curture of losing behind them!! I want the Bills to be major news in the offseason, both in free agency and in the draft.

820084[/snapback]

This is the key point: will they? I'm hopeful, but I won't bank on it.

Now, if I see them make aggressive moves in the offseason to upgrade the interior OL and interior DL, then I'd be a LOT more optimistic. Until then, I'll continue to support them (another few hundred bucks to be spent this weekend on another trip up to RICH), but I won't take for granted that anything will change.

I agree with that assesment except I believe we can get a good player with a 7-9 record. We could get the top RT, G , or DT with that spot.

820098[/snapback]

I believe it is better for us not to get a top 5 pick for it will be a boom or bust situation. Then instead of it just dealing with the rabid fans on this board who just bash players who aren't Pro Bowlers in their 2nd year, it will be that we will be financially committed to a developing player who might not ever become a top player but yet we are paying him guaranteed money, being one of the highest paid players in the league. That is why losing teams keep losing as they have so much money tied to top draft picks that aren't producing. Look at all the top picks the Cardinals have on their offensive line; how has that panned out? If that doesn't convince you then all I have to say is two words: MIKE WILLIAMS; ANY QUESTIONS?

Look at all the top picks the Cardinals have on their offensive line; how has that panned out? If that doesn't convince you then all I have to say is two words: MIKE WILLIAMS; ANY QUESTIONS?

820118[/snapback]

I know. The Rams and Ravens are kicking themselves as we speak because they selected Pace and Ogden.

You have so much money that a few hundred on a trip is like spit in the ocean.

820117[/snapback]

Hey, I'm just enjoying it while I can, especially since the boss says that if she does get pregnant soon, there will be NO trips for me next year.

Small price to pay for what I want more than anything, I'd say.

Hey, I'm just enjoying it while I can, especially since the boss says that if she does get pregnant soon, there will be NO trips for me next year. 

Small price to pay for what I want more than anything, I'd say.

820127[/snapback]

I hear that, but try to talk her into just 1, even if you must make concessions. It worked for me, but then again you heard the way I have to talk to my wife.

I hear that, but try to talk her into just 1, even if you must make concessions. It worked for me, but then again you heard the way I have to talk to my wife.

820130[/snapback]

Awwwwwww! It was so cute.

Trust me William, if we are blessed before next season w/ a child, I won't care about missing any trips. I'll still have my seasons, because I like my seats and the people around me, but I'll just sell all of them.

Awwwwwww! It was so cute.

Trust me William, if we are blessed before next season w/ a child, I won't care about missing any trips.  I'll still have my seasons, because I like my seats and the people around me, but I'll just sell all of them.

820133[/snapback]

I may have sounded like a fool, but I was a fool standing at Lot 1/Pole 5 with a beer in my hand. <_<

Good luck! It will all work. :lol:

This is the key point:  will they?  I'm hopeful, but I won't bank on it. 

Now, if I see them make aggressive moves in the offseason to upgrade the interior OL and interior DL, then I'd be a LOT more optimistic.  Until then, I'll continue to support them (another few hundred bucks to be spent this weekend on another trip up to RICH), but I won't take for granted that anything will change.

820108[/snapback]

This where i am lost, as I am not sure how aggresive one can be in the offseason. I say that WITHOUT knowledge of the UFA and RFA list for this year. But, it seems to me that the only signifant OL move last year was Hutch, and I guarantee that if the Bills had offered him that same contarct contract Bills fan across the land would have screaming you cannot invest that type of a money in a guard. If someone here has some knowledge who they think will be available , please let me know. Same goes for the DL. So RRich, and I am not saying this to be an ass, where are the aggresive moves to be made?

Now, I do think the Bills ARE making moves with the future in mind now. This O-line shakeup does not occur if the Bills braintrust only thinking bout this year. At least to me, we better be ready to accept some brutal line play the remainder of the season, and by brutal I just mean some really big mistakes, what with out LT playing the position for the first time EVER, a rookie 7th rounder starting, and a guy moving to a position he hasn't played in at least 4 years. But I am all for it, working under the theory of one step back this year, two forward next year.

I think the Vincent move was one with the future in mind as well, as well as the commitment to JP for the rest of the season.

This where i am lost, as I am not sure how aggresive one can be in the offseason. I say that WITHOUT knowledge of the UFA and RFA list for this year. But, it seems to me that the only signifant OL move last year was Hutch, and I guarantee that if the Bills had offered him that same contarct contract Bills fan across the land would have screaming you cannot invest that type of a money in a guard. If someone here has some knowledge who they think will be available , please let me know. Same goes for the DL. So RRich, and I am not saying this to be an ass, where are the aggresive moves to be made?

Now, I do think the Bills ARE making moves with the future in mind now. This O-line shakeup does not occur if the Bills braintrust only thinking bout this year. At least to me, we better be ready to accept some brutal line play the remainder of the season, and by brutal I just mean some really big mistakes, what with out LT playing the position for the first time EVER, a rookie 7th rounder starting, and a guy moving to a position he hasn't played in at least 4 years. But I am all for it, working under the theory of one step back this year, two forward next year.

I think the Vincent move was one with the future in mind as well, as well as the commitment to JP for the rest of the season.

820141[/snapback]

The first thing that comes to mind is Eric Steinbach, a guard in Cincinnati who would be a great addition to our line, whether @ guard or tackle, where some insiders feel he could also be effective. Either way, it would cost a pretty penny to bring him to Buffalo, but if the cap room is there, I would make every effort to offer him a deal enticing enough to bring him aboard.

The first thing that comes to mind is Eric Steinbach, a guard in Cincinnati who would be a great addition to our line, whether @ guard or tackle, where some insiders feel he could also be effective.  Either way, it would cost a pretty penny to bring him to Buffalo, but if the cap room is there, I would make every effort to offer him a deal enticing enough to bring him aboard.

820145[/snapback]

Agreed. Steinbach should be the clear option A for improving this offseason. The Bills should throw all sorts of money and hos at him to see if he'll bite. Failing that, a decent backup option would be Derrick Dockery.

Shame is 7-9 gets you nothing, not even a good draft pick. You stay in the middle of the pack and do not improve.

Thoughst?

819817[/snapback]

Wow, you are alot more optimistic than I

Nov. 5 Green Bay 1:00pm

Earlier in the season I would have thought this was a win. But GB has a great vet QB and has steadily gotten better as a team. Buffalo is potty training a young QB and has IMO gotten worse (at best stagnated while the rest of the league caught up)

2-6

Nov. 12 @ Indianapolis 1:00pm

Easy loss. 2-7

Nov. 19 @ Houston 1:00pm

This one is winnable, but we have problems on the road. And I got a funny feeling eiteher Nate or McGee will get burned by Moulds. 2-8

Nov. 26 Jacksonville 1:00pm

Jacksonville is one of those teams that's hard to predict. They're a solid team but have a tendency to play down to lesser opponents (like us). Depending which Jax team shows up this will be an easy loss or an upset in our favor. 3-8 <_<

Dec. 3 San Diego 1:00pm

Easy loss 3-9

Dec. 10 @ NY Jets 1:00pm

If we can't beat them in our house, what makes you think we can beat them in theirs? 3-10

Dec. 17 Miami 1:00pm

Right now, the only team in the league worse than the Bills. 4-10 :lol:

Dec. 24 Tennessee 1:00pm

Tennessee got off to a rough start with their career clipboard holder and rookie QB, but have settled down and are improving. 4-11

Dec. 31 @ Baltimore 1:00pm

Easy loss. 4-12

With the 2nd pick in the first round, the Buffalo Bills select...

With the 2nd pick in the first round, the Buffalo Bills select...

820152[/snapback]

I would LOVE for the Bills' finish to match your outlook. But you know how they are... just when you think they can get in position to get dominant line help, they'll do something stupid like upset Cincinnati. I WISH with all my might the Bills could get in position to draft Joe Thomas but with that soft schedule, I highly doubt it. We'll finish with 6 wins and draft Leon Hall to replace Nate, with whom we agreed we wouldn't franchise so we lose him for nothing.

Thoughst?

819817[/snapback]

7-9 gets you a top-rated cornerback (who will replace Clements).

I don't care what the Bills record is though. I want to see vast improvement-- offense scoring points, fewer turnovers, Youbouty getting on the field, Pennington looking good at RT, JP looking like he's going to have a Rex Grossman-type breakout season next year.

Bills will not be winning more than 4 games this year. They have a chance to beat Miami at home and Maybe the packers next week.  That should land a pretty high pick.

820164[/snapback]

You have a lot more confidence in our opponents (an unexplained confidence) than I do that even a Bills team playing as badly as they have the last 3 weeks has a shot at wiining at least 6 of there remaining games,

Its a lot more than about the mediocre (or worse the last three weeks) Bills we are going up against some mediocre opponents who can lose anywhere and anytime outside of the games against Indy and the Ravens on the road which look like sure losses.

One can even declare the SD game a likely loss and I think you have a tough time calling all the rest dead lock certain losses.

7-9??? Have you watched the bills lately. I mean they lost to the lions, it doesn't get much worse than that. The bills seem to be getting worse not better as the season goes on. THe packers have played well the last few games and are easily the favorites going against buffalo. Houston and Miami are winnable games but buffalo hasn't put together a solid four quarters all year and that includes the two games they won.

At this point, I just hope that the Bills finish better than last year. I am sick and tired of the media dissing Marv (as opposed to TD) and would hate to give any support to the notion that we have not upgraded our coaching staff.

I am sick and tired of the media dissing Marv (as opposed to TD) and would hate to give any support to the notion that we have not upgraded our coaching staff.

820600[/snapback]

Just ignore the media dissing Marv, it's a no win situation

If we continue to stink it up, Mort will take a quick break from slobbing Donahoe's knob so he can talk about how the Bills would have been better off with TD

If we miraculously turn things around, Mort will take a quick break from tongue scrubbing Donahoe's colon so he can talk about how Marv is winning with players Donahoe brought in

Starters:

Unless we are talking about a final game of the season that means the difference between Reggie Bush and Mario Williams (whoops...that wasn't the Reggie Bush Bowl after all), or the difference between Julius Peppers and Mike Williams, I would always rather win than lose, and rather go 6-10 than 4-12. Some of the 50 guys on this year's team will actually be back next year as our foundation, and 30 small slices of winning experience are more valuable than two slots in an inexact science draft.

I don't know how things will pan out, but if we play well 7-9 seems like a reasonable goal. Right now I'm most interested in the third win, because you always have to get that before the fourth.

Green Bay, Houston, Jets, Miami, and Tennessee are all winnable games. The problem is that so was Detroit, and we know how that worked out. On the flip side Minnesota should not have been a winnable game and we came away with that, so I don't view Jax, SD, and Baltimore as unwinnable (and hope we come to play against Indy too, but I'd keep my Bills pride away from the bookies for that one...).

How many of those we win remains to be seen. Winning all five winnable games seems a little unlikely for this team which has already lost to the Jets and Lions, but if the team gets on a roll it and/or an upset in one of the other games is possible.

Like many people, I look for progress and growth as more important right now than final record or draft position. We knew 2006 was going to be a learning experience and a tough season. Our hopes now are that the learning experience moves fast enough for us to have reasonable hopes for a competitive 2007 in year two of the Juaron era.