The Killers offended by Greenday

IBTG81

Im starting to get the feeling that the people on this board only listen to the top 40 and not underground or scene music.

Greenday was an extremely popular underground/punk/scene band for years before they got popular and changed to pop/rock ... they still have legendary status for their early work even though people have said they "sold out."

Their popular song "time of your life" is actually them saying a "goodbye" or more like a "f you" to the underground scene they are leaving behind.

Its amazing what people dont know about punk emo and scene music on this board.

816831[/snapback]

are you talking about something pre-Dookie?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greenday is about as punk as 'NSync are. Johnny Ramone would be rolling in his grave if he heard that GreenDay were being called punk.

816840[/snapback]

Im not sure if ignorance is rolling like sandstorms through this board if it is just that the older people in the audience seem to want their term of punk to be used.

Greenday is far from punk now. If you knew the meaning of "time of your life" you would know that.

Obviously you didnt know of Greenday when they were underground punk and love to listen to top 40.

are you talking about something pre-Dookie?

816842[/snapback]

wooha . nice

have you ever heard 1,000 hours? ... most people havent even heard kerplunk

Im not sure if ignorance is rolling like sandstorms through this board if it is just that the older people in the audience seem to want their term of punk to be used.

816856[/snapback]

Older people? I'm 25.

GreenDay sucks. They are like any other Pop/Rock band on the radio now. They play three chords, and have a catchy chorus. It's really not that difficult.

Older people? I'm 25.

GreenDay sucks. They are like any other Pop/Rock band on the radio now. They play three chords, and have a catchy chorus. It's really not that difficult.

816862[/snapback]

You have no idea what your talking about. Go read about the band "Sweet Children" ... then go read about kerplunk and 1,000 hours ... then go listen to the music ... then go bring up the mention of them in underground punk sections. Then find the wave of punk fans riding them from '89 to about '94 when Dookie came out ('94 right??).

Maybe you will learn something.

JohnnyB .. you seem to know what your talking about atleast.

You have no idea what your talking about. Go read about the band "Sweet Children" ... then go read about kerplunk and 1,000 hours ... then go listen to the music ... then go bring up the mention of them in underground punk sections. Then find the wave of punk fans riding them from '89 to about '94 when Dookie came out ('94 right??).

Maybe you will learn something.

JohnnyB .. you seem to know what your talking about atleast.

816868[/snapback]

:lol:

I'm waiting for you to tell us Good Charlotte and Simple Plan are punk too.

Im starting to get the feeling that the people on this board only listen to the top 40 and not underground or scene music.

Its amazing what people dont know about punk emo and scene music on this board.

816831[/snapback]

Please o great one: enlightened us, the unwashed masses.

(The punk-emo high horse is one of the funniest things I've heard. Keep up the good work.)

:lol:

I'm waiting for you to tell us Good Charlotte and Simple Plan are punk too.

816874[/snapback]

Again you keep bringing up modern day things such as GC and SP ... you obviously didnt know of Greenday (or sweet children) in the 80's so you cant talk. Greenday has turned from their punk roots. Their no longer punk. But they were. And they were really good at the punk genre. GO RESEARCH IT INSTEAD OF SOUNDING STUPID!

Again you keep bringing up modern day things such as GC and SP ... you obviously didnt know of Greenday (or sweet children) in the 80's so you cant talk. Greenday has turned from their punk roots. Their no longer punk. But they were. And they were really good at the punk genre. GO RESEARCH IT INSTEAD OF SOUNDING STUPID!

816887[/snapback]

Quick to the insults, huh? I guess that's not very "Christian" of you. :lol:

Anyway, GreenDay never was and never will be punk. I don't give a flying crap what some kids at a concert say.

I've listened to them past and present. They aren't punk.

Just as a 'gun' has changed from a simple rifle to a bazooka, so has music. The term "punk rock" 30 or so years ago is different than what it is now. Im sorry to break this to you guys. I would love to go to some scene concerts with you though ... you would really learn something about the genre.

816839[/snapback]

Of course music genres evolve. But you really can't refer to a recent member of the genre as a legend.

Heck. here I will do the research for you

That year, the band independently released their first EP, 1,000 Hours, which was well received in the punk scene ... Throughout the early '90s, Green Day continued to cultivate a cult following, which only gained strength with the release of their sophomore album, 1992's 'Kerplunk'.

The underground success of 'Kerplunk' led to a wave of interest from the major record labels. Eventually the band decided to sign with Reprise Records and their major label debut 'Dookie' was released in the spring of 1994.

This is when they were extremely popular underground punk group. LEARN!

the band announced that a new album was in the works. "What's It Going To Sound Like?" people wondered from all over the Green Day community. "Is it going to be another 'Warning' or are they going to go back to their Punk Rock roots?".

This is after insomniac and a few other albums where they turned into a pop/rock band. People wanted them to go back to their punk roots, instead of sticking to their poppy sound now.

The late '80s and early '90s: Punk Is All Across the Boards

In 1989, a band called the Sweet Children made an appearance. They would soon change their name to Green Day, and create a scene for the next wave of pop punk. These bands would include blink-182, MxPx and Australia's the Living End, who would be rolling in full force by 1992.

A growing feeling that punk rock was a male-dominated scene would create a need for the Riot Grrrl movement during this time. Bikini Kill's first appearances in 1990 founded this movement of punk rock feminism.

The old School continued to disappear. The Talking Heads broke up in 1991, and Johnny Thunders of the New York Dolls died of an overdose in 1991, to be followed by his former bandmate Jerry Nolan's death of a stroke the next year.

READ AND LEARN!

punk rock experienced a resurgence in popular culture in the 1990s. In 1994, bands like Green Day, The Offspring, Rancid, and Bad Religion experienced massive crossover success with the aid of MTV and major radio stations like KROQ-FM.[4] While some bands like Green Day had signed to major labels such as Reprise Records, indie labels like Epitaph Records (started by Brett Gurewitz of Bad Religion and the home of the skate punk sound of The Offspring, Pennywise, NOFX, and Rancid), also benefited from punk's resurgence. Green Day's commercial success paved the way for a wave of pop punk at the turn of the century.

Commercial Succes ... this is around the time they TURNED from being Punk.

LEARN!

Im done with this thread. Its ridiculous what people refuse to learn.

God Bless.

Quick to the insults, huh? I guess that's not very "Christian" of you.  :lol:

Anyway, GreenDay never was and never will be punk. I don't give a flying crap what some kids at a concert say.

816888[/snapback]

I didnt call you stupid ... I said you "sounded" stupid.

816887[/snapback]

Ed, whether you deserve it or not you have now officially been insulted in every thread you've appeared. :lol:

Oh BTW, does that mean the daquixers_is_back is part of the Circle Jerk too. Oh, and they were a pretty good punk band too.

Edited by Chef Jim

Heck. here I will do the research for you

This is when they were extremely popular underground punk group. LEARN!

This is after insomniac and a few other albums where they turned into a pop/rock band. People wanted them to go back to their punk roots, instead of sticking to their poppy sound now.

READ AND LEARN!

Commercial Succes ... this is around the time they TURNED from being Punk.

LEARN!

Im done with this thread. Its ridiculous what people refuse to learn.

God Bless.

816896[/snapback]

They're not punk. :lol:

Ed, whether you deserve it or not you have now officially been insulted in every thread you've appeared.  :lol:

816898[/snapback]

I really didnt mean to do that ... but here is the thing. When people refuse to learn it upsets me. It shouldnt, but it does ... after looking at many of Ed's topics, people tell him things and show him facts but he doesnt listen.

Ed, whether you deserve it or not you have now officially been insulted in every thread you've appeared.  :lol:

816898[/snapback]

I know, I'm on a roll today.

I guess I've hit rock-bottom when I have Roman "meazza" Polanski insulting me.

Oh well! :lol:

I would love to go to some scene concerts with you though ... you would really learn something about the genre.

816839[/snapback]

That is some statement.

Me old. I would love to bend space and time so that we could all go back to the forgotten scene concerts of yore.

But keep up the good fight. I enjoy your commitment.

I really didnt mean to do that ... but here is the thing. When people refuse to learn it upsets me. It shouldnt, but it does ... after looking at many of Ed's topics, people tell him things and show him facts but he doesnt listen.

816901[/snapback]

I might not know much, but one thing I know is music.

GreenDay is not punk. They are Pop, have always been Pop, and always will be Pop.

Who cares though? You like their music, that's all that's important.

That is some statement.

Me old. I would love to bend space and time so that we could all go back to the forgotten scene concerts of yore.

But keep up the good fight. I enjoy your commitment.

816903[/snapback]

HAHA thanks bro

I might not know much, but one thing I know is music.

GreenDay is not punk. They are Pop, have always been Pop, and always will be Pop.

Who cares though? You like their music, that's all that's important.

816904[/snapback]

I dont like Greenday. But im not going to be the one person facing the world saying they were never punk. Thats ignornace.

HAHA thanks bro

I dont like Greenday. But im not going to be the one person facing the world saying they were never punk. Thats ignornace.

816906[/snapback]

Have you even read this thread? I'm not the only one.

Quick to the insults, huh? I guess that's not very "Christian" of you.  :lol:

816888[/snapback]

As usual, you're wrong.

Older people? I'm 25.

816862[/snapback]

Which is what defines punk.

Sure.  And you're not PMing people to find out who it is, either...  :lol:

816970[/snapback]

Nope.

Can you prove it? Of course you can't, you Alaskan dimwit.

On a related note, I was watching American Beauty last night. Darin, you should sue, considering they stole your character (Col. Frank Fitts). :lol: