I grow tired of people trying to blame the QB

To get this out of the way....NO....JPL didn't play a great game, he started off well.....made some good throws.....made some bad ones...and was inconsistant.

BUT

If you want to talk about the problems then lets talk about ALL the problems....

- People look at time that JPL has to throw and say "well the OL played well enough to win" NO THEY DID NOT......there are certain plays where you NEED the OL to put in a better then average effort. Game changing time and the Bills OL has NOT done that this season.

- Damion Shelton might be a good FB with a run dominant line where he is not asked to catch....but he is NOT a good fit for this team. JPL needs a "outlet" to be able to put chemistry together with and Shelton isn't it.....

A good example of what you're talking about with the line play was Saturday's game between Notre Dame and UCLA. All day UCLA was in Quinn's face and made their offensive line look pathetic. Then on the final drive the line seemed to have woken up and Quinn had all friggin day back there. I haven't seen an effort from the Bills line all season. The only time the Bills offense has had any success is with quick hitters.

To get this out of the way....NO....JPL didn't play a great game, he started off well.....made some good throws.....made some bad ones...and was inconsistant.

BUT

If you want to talk about the problems then lets talk about ALL the problems....

- People look at time that JPL has to throw and say "well the OL played well enough to win" NO THEY DID NOT......there are certain plays where you NEED the OL to put in a better then average effort.  Game changing time and the Bills OL has NOT done that this season.

- Damion Shelton might be a good FB with a run dominant line where he is not asked to catch....but he is NOT a good fit for this team.  JPL needs a "outlet" to be able to put chemistry together with and Shelton isn't it.....

814334[/snapback]

You know, I agree with you for the most part John. The OL is horrid and JP looked pretty good early in the game.

However he has GOT to learn to stop taking chances with the ball. He simply can't fumble the ball on every other sack. Instead of trying to escape and make a play he simply needs to protect the ball and take his sack. Sure, on occasion he'll make a spectacular play with his escapability, but more often than not it's going to end badly. Just take the negative play and punt the ball away.

You know, I agree with you for the most part John.  The OL is horrid and JP looked pretty good early in the game. 

However he has GOT to learn to stop taking chances with the ball.  He simply can't fumble the ball on every other sack.  Instead of trying to escape and make a play he simply needs to protect the ball and take his sack.  Sure, on occasion he'll make a spectacular play with his escapability, but more often than not it's going to end badly.  Just take the negative play and punt the ball away.

814357[/snapback]

MDH,

I hear what you are saying...the problems are:

- Our defense isn't stopping anybody from scoring....Losman probably is doing too much to try to keep the team in it

- It is really hard to protect the ball from blindside hits...(and and dont forget that extra defender...the ref....who ran RIGHT INTO JPL's path in that game)

MDH,

I hear what you are saying...the problems are:

- Our defense isn't stopping anybody from scoring....Losman probably is doing too much to try to keep the team in it

- It is really hard to protect the ball from blindside hits...(and and dont forget that extra defender...the ref....who ran RIGHT INTO JPL's path in that game)

814435[/snapback]

You're right, JP is trying too hard to "make something happen." That's what leads to a lot of his mistakes. I'll agree the D isn't helping (hell, the entire team isn't helping) but that doesn't excuse JP's mistakes. All JP can worry about is himself, so he needs to make the best decisions he can and let everybody else on the team do the same. The moment he tries to make up for the rest of the team's deficiencies is when he's going to end up looking like a horrible QB.

If JP wants to have a future in Buffalo he needs to stop worrying about the score of the game or how many points the Bills might need to win. He needs to simply make the correct decision with the ball on each and every snap.

I agree with you about blindside hits but JP fumbles the ball pretty much EVERY time he get hit from the blindside. If he's in the middle of his throwing motion I can't blame him, but I CAN fault him if the ball is sitting there in his hands while he's looking down field. Sure, the OL that missed the block is also at fault but Losman has to hold onto the ball. He's turning into Dave Krieg.

That being said, I don't know how many times I've seen JP totally blindsided this year with a virtually unblocked DE coming in for the kill. It's ridiculous and I'm surprised he hasn't been hurt yet.

BUT

- People look at time that JPL has to throw and say "well the OL played well enough to win" NO THEY DID NOT......there are certain plays where you NEED the OL to put in a better then average effort.  Game changing time and the Bills OL has NOT done that this season.

- Damion Shelton might be a good FB with a run dominant line where he is not asked to catch....but he is NOT a good fit for this team.  JPL needs a "outlet" to be able to put chemistry together with and Shelton isn't it.....

814334[/snapback]

Agreed. The O-line has been a disaster for far too long. I've long been a proponent of 'Mouse' McNally but when is he going to be held accountable? As far as Shelton goes, don't get me started. What a complete waste of oxygen he is...

...... im going to blame JP for most of our problems.

814484[/snapback]

Like our inability to stop the run, our inability to generate consistent pressure on the QB, getting faked out by the WRs, making bone-headed 15 yard penalties, etc? Those too? :doh:

When Kelly Holcomb leads an offense top 10 in scoring, and at least top 15 in yards on offense

814484[/snapback]

These numbers are meaningless.

You need to take bye weeks into consideration. During the 8 games Holcomb started last season, there're many teams having their bye weeks. You can not compare the accumulated stats of 8 games to other teams which only played 7 games.

are you kidding me????????????????

we have blamed the line for the last 10-15yrs it seems........the qb has to take some of the blame sometime......esp the turnovers

I think JP deserves the entire year before you roast him alive

- Damion Shelton might be a good FB with a run dominant line where he is not asked to catch....but he is NOT a good fit for this team. JPL needs a "outlet" to be able to put chemistry together with and Shelton isn't it.....

Man I wish we could find a Larry Centers-esque FB for next year. He wasn';t a good lead blocker but was excellent as a receiver and could really pick up the blitz.

When Kelly Holcomb leads an offense top 10 in scoring, and at least top 15 in yards on offense with a line consisting of Bennie Anderson, and Trey Teague(Worse then this years), and a 4-4 record...... im going to blame JP for most of our problems.

Don't blame the line for Losmans inability to protect the football, and get the ball out of his hands.

814484[/snapback]

I agree. At some point JP has to make adjustments in order to minimize the damage caused by our inferior line. And that is, to get rid of the ball quicker and tuck it away when under pressure. Thats all I expect from him. If he doesnt have time to find open recievers its not his fault necessarily.

When Kelly Holcomb leads an offense top 10 in scoring, and at least top 15 in yards on offense

814484[/snapback]

After further review and taking bye weeks into consideration, Bills offense only ranked 20th in average yards and ranked 21th in average passing yards on the games Holcomb started last season.

It's ok to promote Holcomb, but try to show correct stats next time. :doh:

When Kelly Holcomb leads an offense top 10 in scoring, and at least top 15 in yards on offense with a line consisting of Bennie Anderson, and Trey Teague(Worse then this years), and a 4-4 record...... im going to blame JP for most of our problems.

Don't blame the line for Losmans inability to protect the football, and get the ball out of his hands.

814484[/snapback]

Oh boy...please show me anything that resembles Holcomb leading a top 10 offense in scoring? Is this another one of those stat crunching roll it the way you want horrible attempts of trying to make Kelly pop gun Holcomb looking anything like a even close to starting QB?

Look...if somebody wants to come to me and make a case for another QB like say.....Craig Nall to get his shot I am all ears....

We have been down that path.....and it leads to a cliff.