Looking ahead to the 2007 draft....

SnakeOiler

While early, it looks like we'll have a pick somewhere around 10 give or take.

DL, OL, LB, QB, RB ?? WR looks pretty deep this year with Johnson, Ginn, Jarrett as potential Top 10 picks.

I think Marv goes LB and picks PAUL POSLUSZNY, Penn State. Won't be long before we need to replace Fletcher, and jury is still out on Spikes returning to form.

Given Tripplett signing and Mcargo I doubt DT is in the cards, and are probably other places of need more than DE.

Option #2 would be OT, that is a pretty deep position also.

While early, it looks like we'll have a pick somewhere around 10 give or take.

DL, OL, LB, QB, RB ??  WR looks pretty deep this year with Johnson, Ginn, Jarrett as potential Top 10 picks.

I think Marv goes LB and picks PAUL POSLUSZNY, Penn State.  Won't be long before we need to replace Fletcher, and jury is still out on Spikes returning to form. 

Given Tripplett signing and Mcargo I doubt DT is in the cards, and are probably other places of need more than DE.

Option #2 would be OT, that is a pretty deep position also.

808030[/snapback]

Safety, definitely need more safeties.

I stand by my all-o-line draft day, but otherwise, here would be my rundown:

QB: Assuming we keep JP and Nall, we only need a consistent backup. Might as well be Holcomb.

RB: Willis might be in his last year next season, but I think we have a legit shot at re-signing him. But we should know before the draft, and if necessary, take a 3rd-4th round flyer on a possible replacement. If not, a 1st round RB can almost always start.

WR: I actually do like our receiving corps. If anything, we don't need a rookie, we need a big veteran. Don't draft one.

TE: I think JP can really use a reliable, pass-catching TE. Royal is an excellent blocker, we need a catcher. Kevin Everett hasn't been stepping up.

FB: If there's a mauler out there on day 2, I wouldn't say no.

LT: Um, yeah. Urgent need.

LG: Reyes can stick around a bit.

C: Fowler needs someone to push, at least a little bit.

RG: Urgent need.

RT: If Peters shows signs of being an LT, draft one over here.

DE: Unless we have a top-5 pick and can land a true stud, I'd be inclined towards FA here, to find someone distinctly better than the Three White Boys.

DT: Williams and McCargo are as good as anyone we're likely to draft. Add a veteran journeyman to solidify the rotation.

LB: Aging corps needs some new blood - and we have to re-sign Fletcher.

CB: If Nate goes, replace him (Asante Samuel?) . Otherwise, bring along McGee and Youboty.

S: All set.

So, positions where I'd consider a draft pick are RB, TE, T, G, C, LB, CB. Sound okay?

Well, a lot depends on who is available in FA and who we can sign, but for right now, after Day 1 of the draft (day 2 is an even bigger crapshoot, so take whoever then), i'd like to see the Bills have an OT, LB, DE

Needs, in order:

LT - Mike Gandy. nuff said.

RG - Chris V's days as a starter are over

CB - Clements is walking. If we re-sign him for the money he wants, it will be the biggest mistake ever. He hasn't made any plays in the last 20-something games, yet still calls himself a playmaker. Please.

C - Fowler is decent, but it would never hurt to have someone to push him.

LG - See above, substitute Reyes for Fowler

DL - Depth. Depth. Depth.

LB - Spikes and Fletcher could be good for 2 more years, or 5 more years. It's a gamble.

DE

LT

LB

Besides that, I'd let Nate and Gandy go and try to use the money saved by going after Asante Samuel and then Eric Johnson, a receiving TE from San Fran who isn't wanted there anymore with Vernon Davis in town.

I don't exactly know how restricted free agency works, but I know Matt Schaub was only a 3rd rounder and I would gladly give one up and pay him money to replace JP.

Cut Villarial, Shelton, Denney (or Kelsay), Anderson, and Fletcher.

Fill in depth with our other 3 picks left (Another OLineman, FB, and a BIG WR)

DE:  Unless we have a top-5 pick and can land a true stud, I'd be inclined towards FA here, to find someone distinctly better than the Three White Boys.

808230[/snapback]

Well I agree that we need better defensive ends than Schobel, Denney, and Kelsay, when did it become acceptable to use racism against white people? Everytime I hear people rip on our DEs because they're white (or anyone for that matter), I think of the this great article by Rick Reilly.:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...life_of_reilly/

Maybe you should read it.

Well I agree that we need better defensive ends than Schobel, Denney, and Kelsay, when did it become acceptable to use racism against white people? Everytime I hear people rip on our DEs because they're white (or anyone for that matter), I think of the this great article by Rick Reilly.:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...life_of_reilly/

Maybe you should read it.

808244[/snapback]

Ok, then:

Is "high motor guys" an acceptable term, instead?

Sorry to go away from the topic of the draft but this is in direct response to posts in this thread.

Do people really think Asante Samuel is worth the $4-5M annually it will take to sign him? I see him as another David Givens: solid player, nothing special, overvalued in free agency.

Ok, then:

Is "high motor guys" an acceptable term, instead?

808249[/snapback]

When Schobel came out his computer numbers were:

6-4, 263 lbs, 4.68 40 time, 38-inch vertical, 22 reps on bench

Derrick Burgess's numbers were:

6-3, 264 lbs, 4.85 40 time, 40-inch vertical, 24 reps on bench

That's the same Derrick Burgess who had the most sacks in the NFL last season, but Schobel had better-to-equal "athletic numbers" than Burgess! How can you not call Schobel athletic when he's 265 lbs and runs a sub-4.7 40?!

Draft bust Jamal Reynolds, considered the best pass rusher in that draft, ran a 4.70 40 with a 32-inch verticle.

The fact that Schobel doesn't quit on plays and trys to chase down RBs 20 yards downfield is because he has a high motor...but he's also as good an athlete as any DE not named Julius Peppers.

http://home.att.net/~ninerfanatic1/NFLdraft/DE.html

DE

LT

LB

Besides that, I'd let Nate and Gandy go and try to use the money saved by going after Asante Samuel and then Eric Johnson, a receiving TE from San Fran who isn't wanted there anymore with Vernon Davis in town.

I don't exactly know how restricted free agency works, but I know Matt Schaub was only a 3rd rounder and I would gladly give one up and pay him money to replace JP.

Cut Villarial, Shelton, Denney (or Kelsay), Anderson, and Fletcher.

Fill in depth with our other 3 picks left (Another OLineman, FB, and a BIG WR)

808240[/snapback]

I'm not sold on Samuel, but give me Johnson, because what you said is completely true. He's a starting caliber, receiving TE. Unfortunately for him, a freakishly athletic TE dropped into SF's laps at #6 in Davis, and they took him.

Give me Johnson, find a replacement for Nate Clements elsewhere (DRAFT)