Looking ahead to the 2007 draft....

SnakeOiler

Well I agree that we need better defensive ends than Schobel, Denney, and Kelsay, when did it become acceptable to use racism against white people? Everytime I hear people rip on our DEs because they're white (or anyone for that matter), I think of the this great article by Rick Reilly.:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...life_of_reilly/

Maybe you should read it.

808244[/snapback]

Explain the racism in saying Three White Guys. They're white. There's three of them. They're guys.

Explain the racism in saying Three White Guys.  They're white.  There's three of them.  They're guys.

808270[/snapback]

Well if I said I was sick and tired of watching lazy black guys with no heart on the offensive line and would prefer to draft white players instead, wouldn't that come off as slightly racist?

Like I said in my previous post, Schobel is as athletic as defensive ends come. He excels as a pass rusher, and has put up huge numbers his entire career while playing every game (49.5 sacks in 86 games).

Kelsay and Denney, on the other hand, don't excel at anything (24.5 sacks in 96 games). I know Kelsay and Denney have split time in the past, but combined they don't put up half the sacks that Schobel has. Yet people group Schobel in with the 2 because he's white as well, which isn't fair.

NEEDS IN ORDER::::

TRADE NATE FOR ABOUT 15TH OVERALL

ROUND 1: TRADE DOWN OUR ORIGINAL BILLS PICK FOR ANOTHER 2ND ROUNDER

-BEST OT AVAILABLE

-BEST OG AVAILABLE

ROUND 2: BEST CB AVAILABLE

-BEST DT AVAILABLE

ROUND 3: BEST RB AVAILABLE

ROUND 4: BEST C AVAILABLE

ROUND 5: NO PICK (TRADED)

ROUND 6: BEST OL AVAILABLE

ROUND 7: BEST LB AVAILABLE

SIGN ME AS A GM ALREADY :P

DT- Tiny Tim is terrible. Larry Triplett is ok, Kyle Williams is decent at times. I think a lot of his hype was based off preseason I haven't seen him do much of anything since. I love the potential of John McCargo, he's lightning quick off the snap, and has the potential to be a real presence if he can stay healthy. This unit needs a serious upgrade though. Relying on potential is not the way to go.

De- Save Schobel this unit is attrocious. If the tampa 2 system is ever going to work we're going to need a serious upgrade at de. The teams that run this system have a monster pass rusher. Tampa- Simeon Rice, Colts- Dwight Freeney, Chicago- Ogun, Alex Brown, Mark Anderson etc etc Us- Ryan Denney and chris kelsay :P

LB- Mostly depth. Possible future starters, at mlb and olb. London Fletchers contract is up after this year. Maybe they move crowell to the middle, and Ellison to crowells wlb spot. Still the depth outside of ellison is poor.

LT- The Mike Gandy Experiment is over. Maybe he'd be best served as a guard, but he's a terrible lt. I'm not above moving peters over to lt for the rest of the season and seeing about the potential of Brad Butler at rt. Butler was compared to the eagles Jon Runyan in his prospect profile. That could elimate the need to draft tackles high if Butler pans out at rt and peters at lt.

Rb- Yeah Yeah I know the line the line. I think if anything this nfl season has proven the importance of having more then one good back. The more succesful running teams in this league have 2 good rb's. The days of relying on one guy are over. Give defenses something else to think about. New Orlenas has mcallister/bush. Pats have Dillon/Maroney. Chargers Tomlinson/Turner. Giants Barber/Jacobs. Cowboys Jones/Barber. The list goes on. I dont care how good or great your starter is. Every team needs that 2nd guy who can add something else.

LG/RG/C I dont think reyes is that bad, but we could do better. Its also high time whether or not to see if Preston can be the man of the future at rg or center.

For the record, when I said "Three White Boys" I didn't mean that we should sign a non-white replacement. It's just a way of saying that the three have a really similar profile.

More broadly, I don't think anyone is against white players at all - but the team has a preference for this one specific mold of player during the Donahoe era - and it wasn't successful.

NEEDS IN ORDER::::

TRADE NATE FOR ABOUT 15TH OVERALL

ROUND 1: TRADE DOWN OUR ORIGINAL BILLS PICK FOR ANOTHER 2ND ROUNDER

-BEST OT AVAILABLE

-BEST OG AVAILABLE

ROUND 2: BEST CB AVAILABLE

-BEST DT AVAILABLE

ROUND 3: BEST RB AVAILABLE

ROUND 4: BEST C AVAILABLE

ROUND 5: NO PICK (TRADED)

ROUND 6: BEST OL AVAILABLE

ROUND 7: BEST LB AVAILABLE

SIGN ME AS A GM ALREADY ;)

808295[/snapback]

So we are trading down our 1st round pick just to get a CB who MIGHT make it in the NFL instead of just signing Nate with the money we have? :P

we must be addressing the QB in FA?

808633[/snapback]

Losman is going to be our QB next year . get over it

The same direction we should have gone this year (although going in a very different direction DJ and ML did get some terrific players...albeit at positions other than the ones we most needed help in.)

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN- Center, Gaurd, Tackle

Defensive Tackle...

Forget anything else. Fix what's broke.

OL, OL, and more OL............other needs can be filled through free agency, but we need some new TALENTED blood along the OL...........build from the trenches out, with mean bastards who want to run the ball down the opponents throat and will give you 5 yards a carry.........i'm sick and tired of seeing no push from our boys

So we are trading down our 1st round pick just to get a CB who MIGHT make it in the NFL instead of just signing Nate with the money we have?  :lol:

Losman is going to be our QB next year . get over it

808634[/snapback]

you pick up a CB in the second because he will most likely be a solid player and you get that 2nd round CB for a fraction of the price of nate---8 million is just toooo much for such an average player

TOP O-LINEMAN

1. T - Joe Thomas-Wisconsin POS RANK=1

2. T - Levi Brown-Penn State POS RANK=2

3. G - Josh Beekman-B.C. POS. RANK=1

4. G - Mike Jones-Iowa POS RANK=2

5. C - Kyle Young-Fresno State POS RANK=1

6. C - Ryan Kalil-USC POS RANK=2

I SAY WE GO FOR EITHER THOMAS OR BROWN--GET GANDYS @$$ OUTTA HERE!!!

DT- Tiny Tim is terrible. Larry Triplett is ok, Kyle Williams is decent at times. I think a lot of his hype was based off preseason I haven't seen him do much of anything since.  I love the potential of John McCargo, he's lightning quick off the snap, and has the potential to be a real presence if he can stay healthy. This unit needs a serious upgrade though. Relying on potential is not the way to go.....

808296[/snapback]

I'm not meaning to be facetious here but isn't drafting another DT in the 1st round relying on potential as well?

I'm actually getting a little confused(seriously) about the DT situation. Many on this(& other) threads have stated that "this unit needs a serious upgrade" & we should use our 1st round pick on DT. I can understand using the pick....unless there is a top OT at the time available.....what I don't understand is the "serious upgrade" bit. One 1st round pick which will most likely take at least a year to realize his potential is not IMO a "serious upgrade".

We keep 4 DTs on the roster....& to use GuessWhozBack21s views since they seem to be fairly standard(the normal/consensus view)....

Triplett is OK......I'd add that with better talent around him he could excel....also he is newly signed so is most likely staying.

John McCargo is a 1st year, 1st round pick....there is no way he gets dumped unless his injury problems persist.

Kyle Williams is decent.....he has shown talent & who knows how he might improve? We'll probably know more of him by end of season but he certainly looks like a keeper.

That leaves Tim Anderson.....he needs to be upgraded.

That is only 1 DT to get(at this point).

Considering there is only 2 starters & we have no choice but to see through the potential talent we have invested in, I really cannot see how the "major upgrade" view is valid.

Am I missing something here?

That is only 1 DT to get(at this point). 

Considering there is only 2 starters & we have no choice but to see through the potential talent we have invested in, I really cannot see how the "major upgrade" view is valid.

Am I missing something here?

811611[/snapback]

I'm more then willing to wait on the potential of McCargo. I think he's going to be a good one, however due to using a rotational system and how completly ineffective our dt's have been paticularly against the run, and not much better at interior pressure in the passing game, which is pretty much needed in a cover 2. I dont see how we can go into next season with the exact same guys we have no now. Maybe that guy is already on the roster, or maybe we can get him via free agency, or maybe via draft, but it is a big need area nonetheless.

Yeah the draft is a complete crapshoot. Sometimes you hit sometimes you don't. I'm not looking for overnight delivery. We're obviously rebuilding, and I view even college prospects as a potential upgrades. We know what we have in tim anderson by now which is not much, and the need for quality linemen can never be understated just look at the patriots who have draft seymour, wilfork,warren all in the 1st rd. Now that's the only way to go, but you don't limit yourself just cause you drafted 1 dt in the 1st last season. If a guy is there who you think highly of by all means pick him. You can never have enough good linemen. This includes defensive ends.