Losman Under the Gun

Cripes

Maybe it's the line's fault. Maybe it's the coaching. Maybe it's receivers who don't run the routes correctly, or fell down. Maybe it's just a coincidence, and maybe it's a small sample. But JP Losman has had the following decisive opportunities to win or tie games late in his short career, and he's come up short every time -- and he doesn't have a Neil Rackers to blame for it like Leinert:

2005:

New Orleans: Down 13-7, a JP drive stalls just past mid-field late in third quarter on downs. Saints go on to kick two field goals to cinch win. (Sealed by JP’s fumble with 1 minute left).

Atlanta: JP’s final two drives to tie the game: one ends in four downs (he failed on a sneak), and the other he fumbles with 1:48 left dropping back to pass.

Carolina: JP throws interception in final drive (13-9 loss).

2006:

New England: Albeit from a bad offensive pass interference call, JP can’t lead the team into Ryan Lindell’s generous field goal range after getting the ball in New England territory.

New York: After getting onside kick, can’t even adequately throw a screen pass to McGahee and the drive dies quickly without even sniffing a chance at the end zone.

Detroit: JP has a hole to climb out of at the Buffalo 3 after Ko Simpson's interception, but he overcomes that only to later take a bad sack and force the Bills to punt with four minutes left. Ballgame.

People say he's young, he's still learning, has talent and shows promise. But doesn't an 0-for-6 mark in games where he had the chance to win late indicate that he's clearly missing something (presence, confidence, whatever) and is NOT progressing? Yeah, the team's a mess and is rebuilding, but I also think people doubting JP Losman have more than good reason to do so at this point.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A slight cherrypick if you're going to bring up a drive in the 3rd Qtr vs. the Saints. The Carolina game I thought he showed some decent poise converting a couple 4th downs; the int was a point where he had to take a risk, so I don't really consider that a choke. The NE & Detroit games we punted with 6 and 4 minutes left and our D couldn't get the ball back.

The Falcons & Jet games I agree were chokejobs. Just dreadful series' after 2nd life with an improbable muffed punt and onside kick respectively.

I thought Schopp brought up a good point that his best drives were vs. the Jets & Lions in the 4th Qtr down 2 scores. Hopefully he'll engineer a gamewinner sometime this year.

cue JDG...

807786[/snapback]

...and Holcombs Arm...

...and Ray Finkle....

...and Scott Law...

...and Jay From DC...

...and Morris Titanic...

...and newly inducted member into the "JP Sucks Crusaders" tron35

It's their board now. We are here only for their amusement... ;)

JP gets the benefit of the doubt for the Chicago game. The Detroit game is what concerns me. He showed nothing, absolutely nothing redeeming against Detroit. yes the OL is very bad, but if he is to be the anointed one JP has to show some playmaking ability that actually makes a difference. Not 20 yard pass plays after a scramble on the Bills 30 yard line, but 20 yard pass plays after a scramble on the opponents 20 yard line. I guess you can write all of his bad play off to the OL, but I don't think it is that cut and dried.

JP gets the benefit of the doubt for the Chicago game.  The Detroit game is what concerns me.  He showed nothing, absolutely nothing redeeming against Detroit.

807895[/snapback]

Nothing? Don't you think that's a bit strong?

I mean, he had a pretty mediocre game, but as usual with JP this year IMO, he showed some flashes. How about the drive to bring the Bills back within 3? I thought that was pretty good.

JP gets the benefit of the doubt for the Chicago game.  The Detroit game is what concerns me.  He showed nothing, absolutely nothing redeeming against Detroit.  yes the OL is very bad, but if he is to be the anointed one JP has to show some playmaking ability that actually makes a difference.  Not 20 yard pass plays after a scramble on the Bills 30 yard line, but 20 yard pass plays after a scramble on the opponents 20 yard line.  I guess you can write all of his bad play off to the OL, but I don't think it is that cut and dried.

807895[/snapback]

JPL showed spurts of good play even in the Lions game.....

but yes...he needs to be more consistant

I think some of you people are very impatient. Some QB's come straight into the league and are great. It's quite obvious JP needs some time. He has been playing alot better than he was last year and he can only get better. He needs more expierience in games, reading defences and alot of those rookie mistakes will slowly be gone. Imagine what he can do with a good line in front of him.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying JP will be very good next year, granted we pick up some o linemen in the draft.

JP gets the benefit of the doubt for the Chicago game.  The Detroit game is what concerns me.  He showed nothing, absolutely nothing redeeming against Detroit.  yes the OL is very bad, but if he is to be the anointed one JP has to show some playmaking ability that actually makes a difference.  Not 20 yard pass plays after a scramble on the Bills 30 yard line, but 20 yard pass plays after a scramble on the opponents 20 yard line.  I guess you can write all of his bad play off to the OL, but I don't think it is that cut and dried.

807895[/snapback]

Did you ever think that maybe Detroit just happened to play a great game because they were 0-5 and probably under ALOT of pressure from their coaches & owner?

Lets judge him on how he does this year.....

808012[/snapback]

This weekend.

Home game against a good opponent. Feeling the heat after two very different road losses.

Seeing Leinart and Young join the Grossman, Rothlisbrg, Rivers hot young quarterback club. He is a bright kid.

I judge him this week.

JP gets the benefit of the doubt for the Chicago game.  The Detroit game is what concerns me.  He showed nothing, absolutely nothing redeeming against Detroit. 

807895[/snapback]

Really? That great play he made on the first TD was nothing? That long drive on the second touchdown was nothing? His 40 yard scramble for a net gain of 3 on 3rd and 2 was nothing?

Yes, JP didn't get it done on our second last drive but we completely abandoned the running game during that drive. And any time you make your offense that one dimensional, you're begging for trouble (especially when your O line isn't providing any pass protection against 4 pass rushers). And let's not forget that that drive started at the 3 yard line.

JP is an OK quarterback right now. QB's tend to get much better with age and experience.

Really?  That great play he made on the first TD was nothing?  That long drive on the second touchdown was nothing?  His 40 yard scramble for a net gain of 3 on 3rd and 2 was nothing?

808079[/snapback]

Yeah, any QB in the league would have pulled off that TD pass to Roscoe, and that run for the short First down on the broken play.

Forget Losman, he wears a Bills jersey and plays QB so he sucks and everyone else in the league would be a better option. If he was on any other team, they would all be going on about his abilities and how he looks pretty good.

If anyone thinks that the Bear's Defense represents normal D's speak now.

Now JP has 5 TD's and 2 Int's and about a 63% percentage outside of the game. Our philosophy was to have a power running game and strong defense and all JP needed to do was play adequate. Those numbers above are what you'd find in an above average QB. My question is WHY are all of these games put on JP's shoulders? Aren't Willis and our D supposed to be pulling their weight?

JP is not John Elway at this point in his career, but he shouldn't have to be.

If anyone thinks that the Bear's Defense represents normal D's speak now.

Now JP has 5 TD's and 2 Int's and about a 63% percentage outside of the game.  Our philosophy was to have a power running game and strong defense and all JP needed to do was play adequate.  Those numbers above are what you'd find in an above average QB.  My question is WHY are all of these games put on JP's shoulders?  Aren't Willis and our D supposed to be pulling their weight?

JP is not John Elway at this point in his career, but he shouldn't have to be.

808254[/snapback]

Exactly....After the 1st two games against NE and Miami, I thought that is what

Fairchild wasdoing......and suddenly we are passing more rather than running the game....Of course putting ourself in a 10-0 hole against the Lions spelled doom...but still we need to be patient with our Run game...

Also our Defense and STs need to play outstanding and take the pressure of the offense for now......

Not doing the above was the recipe for disaster that the preivous regime followed last year and that cost them their jobs.

[New York: After getting onside kick, can’t even adequately throw a screen pass to McGahee and the drive dies quickly without even sniffing a chance at the end zone.

Were you at that game? When they recovered the onside kick, the skies literally opened up and the winds were blowing twice as hard as they were earlier in the game. He couldn't throw an adequate screen pass because the wind was blowing so damn hard. They probably should have burned a timeout and hoped that it passed over. (I think the hard rain stopped about 5 minutes later so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.)

I think the Detroit game was his best chance to lead the Bills back but with the Defense playing the way they did, they should have gone for it on 4th and 9 instead of punting.

Were you at that game?  When they recovered the onside kick, the skies literally opened up and the winds were blowing twice as hard as they were earlier in the game.  He couldn't throw an adequate screen pass because the wind was blowing so damn hard.  They probably should have burned a timeout and hoped that it passed over. (I think the hard rain stopped about 5 minutes later so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.)

808763[/snapback]

That doesn't matter, JP should have parted the clouds and carried the entire team on his shoulders into the endzone on the next play. Matt Leinart would have done it.

As for the run game, its kind of hard to establish one when the RB has no where to go. The line might be forcing the team to rely more on its passing game because Willis has no where to go cause everywhere he turns, theres a defender waiting for him. Its not like hes Marooney back there and can just float over top of the defence and into the endzone

That doesn't matter, JP should have parted the clouds and carried the entire team on his shoulders into the endzone on the next play. Matt Leinart would have done it.

As for the run game, its kind of hard to establish one when the RB has no where to go. The line might be forcing the team to rely more on its passing game because Willis has no where to go cause everywhere he turns, theres a defender waiting for him. Its not like hes Marooney back there and can just float over top of the defence and into the endzone

808774[/snapback]

I am still wondering what happened to all these runs to the outside and passes to the TEs that we were supposed to see.

The former would certainly alleviate some pressure as Willis tends to get at least 5 yards every time he's not running between the tackles, or, as I like to call it, into the dead zone.

Fowler has been better than Teague, especially in run blocking, but that's not saying a lot. I still think a LG and LT upgrade are necessary. I really wish McNally would be able to work some magic with just one of these late-round white guys. It seems like we just go through them like water with nothing to show for them. Perhaps Butler can take Gandy's job?