What to do about McCargo?

At this point, I would be inclined to put McCargo on IR.  I would be more inclined to sign a free agent than promote Jefferson, who is a fringe player without much upside.

That's what I would do. I mean he's supposed to be out 2 months. That's 8 games assuming he can come back that fast.

And I'd sign Lavalais. I didn't realize he was available until Chris Brown mentioned him.

What should the Bills do with McCargo?  Put him on IR?  Make him an inactive for the next 2 months?  And then do you cut a guy like Powell and promote a guy like Jefferson, or sign a guy like Chad Lavalais (from Chris Brown's blog)?

800392[/snapback]

What kind of fracture does he have? The only thing that i am seeing is that he is out indefinately. That doesn't mean that he is out for an especially long period of time neccessarily. It might be a stress fracture.

As to your question, you keep him on the active roster, it doesn't matter. A guy like McCargo needs all the work he can get this season in adapting to this new defense that he is playing in. If he comes back in week 10, then that still gives him an opportunity at six games of experience. The question you need to ask is are you going to sacrifice his development as a first round pick, so that the Bills may have a shot to go 8-8 because they don't have Tim Anderson in there all the time?

You keep McCargo on this team and off of IR, mainly because by the time he comes back, we more than likely will not be competing for anything, thus he will be able to start those six games and get the kind of in game action he needs in order to become a prominant player in this league.

What kind of fracture does he have? The only thing that i am seeing is that he is out indefinately. That doesn't mean that he is out for an especially long period of time neccessarily. It might be a stress fracture.

As to your question, you keep him on the active roster, it doesn't matter. A guy like McCargo needs all the work he can get this season in adapting to this new defense that he is playing in. If he comes back in week 10, then that still gives him an opportunity at six games of experience. The question you need to ask is are you going to sacrifice his development as a first round pick, so that the Bills may have a shot to go 8-8 because they don't have Tim Anderson in there all the time?

You keep McCargo on this team and off of IR, mainly because by the time he comes back, we more than likely will not be competing for anything, thus he will be able to start those six games and get the kind of in game action he needs in order to become a prominant player in this league.

800404[/snapback]

It was not a stress fracture. He had his foot stepped on as he tried to turn it. Surgery was used to insert a screw in the borken bone to stabilize it as it heals.

I'd add a guy from the Atlanta Falcons practice squad named Tommy Jackson, NT. He was in the draft this year and I watched him at the combine and in the Senior Bowl and he might be the nose tackle that the Bills need, long term. Another youngster, but he's got game when it comes to stuffing the run!! Good push on the pass rush too, he's a load.....

It was not a stress fracture.  He had his foot stepped on as he tried to turn it.  Surgery was used to insert a screw in the borken bone to stabilize it as it heals.

800408[/snapback]

Then IR it is. Hope he heals up properly. No knock meant against McCargo, but the fact is that a rookie - especially a lineman - usually doesn't add a bunch to his 1st year team.

I'd add a guy from the Atlanta Falcons practice squad named Tommy Jackson, NT. He was in the draft this year and I watched him at the combine and in the Senior Bowl and he might be the nose tackle that the Bills need, long term. Another youngster, but he's got game when it comes to stuffing the run!! Good push on the pass rush too, he's a load.....

800846[/snapback]

Despite the fact that we're playing the 'Tampa 2' defence, I'd love to see a huge run stuffer in there at DT. Everyone here said we didn't need one to stop the run in this defence, but it hasn't worked. If you've watched the Bills you know their run defence can be (and will be) exploited more and more as teams watch tape on us.

Watching other teams around the NFL, I can't help but think we could have a dominant defence if we had a Grady Jackson, Ted Washington (you'll all say he's too old, but he's still bringing it in CLE!), Jamal Williams, Tommie Harris, etc. Basically someone to clog up the middle.

, Tommie Harris, etc.  Basically someone to clog up the middle.

801167[/snapback]

Tommie Harris is only 300lbs....He is not in the mould of Ted Washington or Pat Williams.....What we need is Speed at the DT position...Tim Anderson has not provided that sort of speed.

Despite the fact that we're playing the 'Tampa 2' defence,

801167[/snapback]

I wish they would stop that...you need to have a reliable DL push that also has some reasonable success at clogging the inside run to make this modern terminology for a zone pass defense work.

The Bills could also use a pass-rushing LB now and then. I don't see that on the current roster.

What should the Bills do with McCargo?  Put him on IR?  Make him an inactive for the next 2 months?  And then do you cut a guy like Powell and promote a guy like Jefferson, or sign a guy like Chad Lavalais (from Chris Brown's blog)?

800392[/snapback]

I'd IR McCargo as Lavalais as he put up some good numbers last year. One has to wonder why the Falcons would have cut him. I'd take a chance on him as appears he has outproduced Tim Anderson in his short career.

Tommie Harris is only 300lbs....He is not in the mould of Ted Washington or Pat Williams.....What we need is Speed at the DT position...Tim Anderson has not provided that sort of speed.

801172[/snapback]

The small, quick penetrating DT front is not anywhere near the proven success it's supporters claim it to be. Tampa snuck thru one year and won the SB, but for otherwise ALL of the Warren Sapp era in Tampa, they were soft against the run and it cost them over and over. The 3-4 defense or a 4-3 using two big DT's are far more successful approaches than the Tampa 2. We appear to be seeing a repeat of GW's "stop the run with numbers" fiasco. GW didn't like fat guys on his team, until he realized he couldn't stop the run with Justin Bannan. I'll give GW credit for learning to adapt, now it's Jauron's turn.