If Garrett Wolfe is around in the 2nd

For those that don't know of him check out Northern Illinois if you ever get a chance. You can see them on ESPN right now. RB Wolfe is a true home run hitter, and a legit Hesiman candidate. He's small in stature, but runs with great leverage. His agility and acceleration are outstanding, and he just levels people in pass protection. I think he could be a Warrick Dunn, if not better. That’s a great fit in our offense, and his style would compliment Willis well. Down the road he would also be great insurance in case Willis leaves.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that don't know of him check out Northern Illinois if you ever get a chance. You can see them on ESPN right now. RB Wolfe is a true home run hitter, and a legit Hesiman candidate. He's small in stature, but runs with great leverage. His agility and acceleration are outstanding, and he just levels people in pass protection. I think he could be a Warrick Dunn, if not better.  That’s a great fit in our offense, and his style would compliment Willis well. Down the road he would also be great insurance in case Willis leaves.

799414[/snapback]

The importance of a quality change-of-pace back can be seen in San Diego.

We all know what Tomlinson brings to the table; quickness, agility, gamebreaking ability, etc.

Turner is a bomber in that backfield. Stocky and powerful. (also a N. Illinois alum)

I'd take him, the guy is pretty good. A good backup/change of pace back behind Mcgahee would be great. Look at what McCalister/Bush is doing for the Saints.

The only way that move would run Mcgahee out of town is if Wolfe turns into Barry Sanders.

799561[/snapback]

Think about Willis McGahee. If you draft a RB he will leave town when his contract is up. Guaranteed. Thats the way he is. He is the #1 man in town and wants zero competition.

For those that don't know of him check out Northern Illinois if you ever get a chance. You can see them on ESPN right now. RB Wolfe is a true home run hitter, and a legit Hesiman candidate. He's small in stature, but runs with great leverage. His agility and acceleration are outstanding, and he just levels people in pass protection. I think he could be a Warrick Dunn, if not better.  That’s a great fit in our offense, and his style would compliment Willis well. Down the road he would also be great insurance in case Willis leaves.

799414[/snapback]

I watched him play in the OSU opener. Very impressive. But at 5' 7", the NFL will be hard for him.

I watched him play in the OSU opener. Very impressive. But at 5' 7", the NFL will be hard for him.

799889[/snapback]

Like I said, think Dunn. He still runs with power despite his size, and loves running inside. He plays with chip on his shoulder. He posted over 125 yards against Michigan, and 225 against Northwestern last year. This year he posted over 160 yards against Ohio State. This is elite competition for the most part, behind a MAC line. His average is almost 10 yards a carry!

Why dont we just draft some roadgraders to make holes for the backs we have?

I think the best available OL and the best available DL should be our first 2 picks.....

I agree. Watching the Chicago game, you were.

Why dont we just draft some roadgraders to make holes for the backs we have?

I think the best available OL and the best available DL should be our first 2 picks.....

800013[/snapback]

It's a nice thought. I just don't have any confidence the Bills will do it seeing how we've said that for a decade. Wolfe would be the next best thing.

799889[/snapback]

Warrick Dunn and Maurice Drew prove height is not the ultimate factor for being a RB. Of course Wolfe has to show he has NFL speed (or better) at the combine.

Warrick Dunn and Maurice Drew prove height is not the ultimate factor for being a RB. Of course Wolfe has to show he has NFL speed (or better) at the combine.

800147[/snapback]

I bet he posts a sub 4.45, which is damn good for a RB at the combine.

800147[/snapback]

I bet he posts a sub 4.45, which is damn good for a RB at the combine.

800151[/snapback]

We ... dont ... need ... a ... RUNNING-BACK. Holy crap.

Anyway. Maurice Drew proves what? He has played 5 games and is averaging about 6-7 carries a game. So what has he proven? Not to mention Drew weighs about 35 pounds more than Wolfe and is not a straight up the gut runner, like Wolfe is.

p.s. warrick dunn averages about 800 yards a year.

I just love watching this guy play. The guy disappears, and then shows uncanny acceleration and agility. His top end gear is not the best trait he has, but it's still more then enough to break the big gainers with that type of acceleration. No doubt the line needs to be addressed but I just love the versatility he would give us. It would be a hell dealing with so much quickness on the field. Plus he's known as a character guy, the type Marv likes. I'm not saying get rid of Willis, just compliment him. Give us the dimension so many other teams have.

Anyway. Maurice Drew proves what? He has played 5 games and is averaging about 6-7 carries a game. So what has he proven? Not to mention Drew weighs about 35 pounds more than Wolfe and is not a straight up the gut runner, like Wolfe is.

800161[/snapback]

We didn't need a RB the year we took Willis McGahee either. I'm not advicating we take Wolfe as just as easy as he could be the next Dunn he could also be the next JJ Arrington. As the original poster mentioned Wolfe be a change of pace RB and I think thus far Drew has shown that he can be just that so in 5 games into his NFL career.

800161[/snapback]

Watch him go to Denver and rush for 1500 yards. By the way, the last player who dominated the MAC to this level was Randy Moss. Wolfe is more dominant then he was so far.