If Garrett Wolfe is around in the 2nd

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't need a RB the year we took Willis McGahee either. I'm not advicating we take Wolfe as just as easy as he could be the next Dunn he could also be the next JJ Arrington. As the original poster mentioned Wolfe be a change of pace RB and I think thus far Drew has shown that  he can be just that so in 5 games into his NFL career.

800174[/snapback]

OK. So we are just going to change RB's everytime someone looks good in college? Are you serious? Besides, we could pick up a RB currently in the NFL as a change-of-pace back. Personally I think ANYONE would be offended if someone was hired at his/her position when he was doing a good job. McGahee will probably end the year in the top 5 (if not the top 3), and what better way to repay him by drafting a RB in the 2nd round. Are you kidding me?

Watch him go to Denver and rush for 1500 yards. By the way, the last player who dominated the MAC to this level was Randy Moss. Wolfe is more dominant then he was so far.

800177[/snapback]

Any RB is going to get over 1200 yards in Denver ... they just produce good RB's with their schemes. Right now they have a RB over 100+ yards and another RB near 300 yards ....

Any RB is going to get over 1200 yards in Denver ... they just produce good RB's with their schemes. Right now they have a RB over 100+ yards and another RB near 300 yards ....

800192[/snapback]

Some like Terrell Davis, do more. Wolfe would be a perfect fit in that system. He might eventually wear down, but that’s what they say about a lot of small backs. He plays with a huge heart, and nobody gets a clean shot on him. For us he would be a great contrast to Willis, who lacks the ideal explosiveness you want in a 3rd down back.

The JJ Arrington comparison is weak at best. Name me any back who's had success running in Arizona, and that includes Edge. AZ is a career killer for a lot of RB's.

Some like Terrell Davis, do more. Wolfe would be a perfect fit in that system. He might eventually wear down, but that’s what they say about a lot of small backs. He plays with a huge heart, and nobody gets a clean shot on him. For us he would be a great contrast to Willis, who lacks the ideal explosiveness you want in a 3rd down back.

The JJ Arrington comparison is weak at best. Name me any back who's had success running in Arizona, and that includes Edge. AZ is a career killer for a lot of RB's.

800196[/snapback]

Is Wolfe your brother or something? For goodness sakes ... take off your rose colored glasses. Did you watch him play last night? His game was on ESPN and I did watch it. He looks like a pretty decent back, but he looks TINY out their. I dont mean small ... I mean TINY. Not only that but he loves to run right up the middle between the tackles. No way he can do that in the NFL. Nobody gets a clean shot on him? OK - well that answers my question about whether you watched the game. :lol:

Is Wolfe your brother or something? For goodness sakes ... take off your rose colored glasses. Did you watch him play last night? His game was on ESPN and I did watch it. He looks like a pretty decent back, but he looks TINY out their. I dont mean small ... I mean TINY. Not only that but he loves to run right up the middle between the tackles. No way he can do that in the NFL. Nobody gets a clean shot on him? OK - well that answers my question about whether you watched the game.  :lol:

800309[/snapback]

I like MAC football. Far be it for me to criticize your take on his performance. It's based on one game. If you hit him behind the line LOS he can be slowed down. That was the case about half the time last night.

For those that don't know of him check out Northern Illinois if you ever get a chance. You can see them on ESPN right now. RB Wolfe is a true home run hitter, and a legit Hesiman candidate. He's small in stature, but runs with great leverage. His agility and acceleration are outstanding, and he just levels people in pass protection. I think he could be a Warrick Dunn, if not better.  That’s a great fit in our offense, and his style would compliment Willis well. Down the road he would also be great insurance in case Willis leaves.

799414[/snapback]

Yep.. We could have one of those guys in our backfield right now. I saw and read about him and his toughness and while I bet Marv liked him a lot, he felt D was the way to go this past draft early. I loved Tiki Barber when he came out over A-strain Smith and I think this guy will be just as good and durable: Maurice Jones-Drew.

He will be a good one for awhile, IHMO.

I like MAC football. Far be it for me to criticize your take on his performance. It's based on one game. If you hit him behind the line LOS he can be slowed down. That was the case about half the time last night.

800334[/snapback]

So your saying if he has a bad line, he will be slowed down all the time? Translation ... he will be slowed down all the time in Buffalo.

Yep.. We could have one of those guys in our backfield right now.  I saw and read about him and his toughness and while I bet Marv liked him a lot, he felt D was the way to go this past draft early.  I loved Tiki Barber when he came out over A-strain Smith and I think this guy will be just as good and durable:  Maurice Jones-Drew.

He will be a good one for awhile, IHMO.

800338[/snapback]

I already commented on this. Drew runs to the outside quite a bit. Wolfe thrives between the tackles and he weight 35 LESS pounds than Drew and 28 less pounds than Barber. Listen. 10 pounds is A LOT in the NFL. Ask Mcghaee. So when your out weighed by 30 or so pounds by two of the SMALLER RB's then its going to be tough.

Look at his pictures -> http://hailtopurple.com/niu2005_wolfe.jpg

http://www.dekalb-chronicle.com/content/ar...ts/sports02.jpg

He really reminds me of the size of an average high-school Junior.

So your saying if he has a bad line, he will be slowed down all the time? Translation ... he will be slowed down all the time in Buffalo.

800339[/snapback]

What RB is going to do anything if he's gang tackled behind the line of scrimmage? He was hit as he got the handoff several times last night. It was his worst game of the year, by a wide margin, and he still goes for 150. He has a MAC line, and put up over 150 yards against the number one team in the country. Same thing at Michigan last season. That's the point. He's done this against the best in college football, despite having the disadvantages of being on a MAC team. If his disadvantages are viewed as strongly as you view them then we could get him even later.

What RB is going to do anything if he's gang tackled behind the line of scrimmage? He was hit as he got the handoff several times last night. It was his worst game of the year, by a wide margin, and he still goes for 150. He has a MAC line, and put up over 150 yards against the number one team in the country. Same thing at Michigan last season. That's the point. He's done this against the best in college football, despite having the disadvantages of being on a MAC team.  If his disadvantages are viewed as strongly as you view them then we could get him even later.

800374[/snapback]

we shall see

That would send McGahee right out of Buffalo ... and I personally like McGahee although others dont.

799512[/snapback]

I don't dislike McGahee as a player. I just don't see him staying in Buffalo one day longer than the expiration date on his contract. Ireally don't think he would take the drafting of a player in the second round as an insult though. He would be first and foremost depth and relief. McGahee knows he needs to step off the field for a blow now and then. He can obviously see what NE is doing with Dillon and Maroney.

I don't dislike McGahee as a player.  I just don't see him staying in Buffalo one day longer than the expiration date on his contract.  Ireally don't think he would take the drafting of a player in the second round as an insult though.  He would be first and foremost depth and relief.  McGahee knows he needs to step off the field for a blow now and then.  He can obviously see what NE is doing with Dillon and Maroney.

800406[/snapback]

Yeah and he probably doesnt like what New England is doing (for him anyway). But anyhow, if it was a year or 2 ago I would agree with you on him leaving as soon as the contract is over ... but as of late he has really started talking up Buffalo and how he needs to play better and how he likes the franchise ... etc. I think as long as we offer him the appropriate money a top 5 RB deserves then I think he will stay.

Another  5'7" gimmick player might be just what the doctor ordered.

Maybe he and Roscoe can clap hands and play Miss Mary Mack to loosen up before games.

800801[/snapback]

I never thought about, but thats a good comparison. Roscoe Parrish. Except for Roscoe just has to catch and run, where Wolfe has to dive into a pile of 250+ pound men of flab and steel.

Another  5'7" gimmick player might be just what the doctor ordered.

Maybe he and Roscoe can clap hands and play Miss Mary Mack to loosen up before games.

800801[/snapback]

I could see a strong team with a need or the luxury looking at him in the late 3rd round, early 4th round pick if he keeps up the collegiate numbers and has decent pro tryouts.

I watched him in the Ohio State opener...OSU had nine or so new defensive starters, true, but OSU is always loaded with top young players, and Wolfe was very impressive. He seems a tough kid with good football sense.

Not a consideration for Bflo., though. I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks on somebody's NFL roster.

I never thought about, but thats a good comparison. Roscoe Parrish. Except for Roscoe just has to catch and run, where Wolfe has to dive into a pile of 250+ pound men of flab and steel.

800883[/snapback]

Well he could just run under them and I'm sure he'd get the FIRST DOWN, but hey what do I know :doh: