Any Rap fans out there...

BoondckCL

My collection on my computer is getting old and i need a few new songs to listen to, if you have any suggestions, please make them because some of the sh-- i have been listening to the last few months has become boring and routine.

For an offering of my own, a couple good songs to download...

Knockin' Doors Down - Pimp C

Duck Season - DJ Babu

I find myself getting farther and farther away from the genre. I'll be 35 in a week and I can hardly stand today's version of hip hop. I feel like my dad but this crap ia all starting to sound the same. I really like rap. I listen to Biggie, NWA, Jay-Z, Nas, Ludacris, Outkast, and a host of others. All the stuff I hear on the radio just plain sucks.

I find myself getting farther and farther away from the genre.  I'll be 35 in a week and I can hardly stand today's version of hip hop.  I feel like my dad but this crap ia all starting to sound the same.  I really like rap.  I listen to Biggie, NWA, Jay-Z, Nas, Ludacris, Outkast, and a host of others.  All the stuff I hear on the radio just plain sucks.

792520[/snapback]

Most of the "new" rap that comes out these days does in fact blow. It may be catchy, but it takes absolutely no talent to create it. Thanks Lil' John....

Today's rap? Suffice to say that here's a few CDs that are in "heavy rotation" in my car or @ work:

Mos Def: Black on Both Sides

Jurassic 5: Quality Control

Jurassic 5: Power In Numbers

Black Eyed Peas: Behind The Front

Black Eyed Peas: Bridging The Gap

The only relatively new CD I've listened to recently is Common's "Be" (which my brother and I say should be 'Kanyon', since most of the material is written by Kanye West).

The only relatively new CD I've listened to recently is Common's "Be" (which my brother and I say should be 'Kanyon', since most of the material is written by Kanye West).

792596[/snapback]

I do really like Common. Maybe I'll request "Be' for my B-day. 0:)

I find myself getting farther and farther away from the genre.  I'll be 35 in a week and I can hardly stand today's version of hip hop.  I feel like my dad but this crap ia all starting to sound the same.  I really like rap.  I listen to Biggie, NWA, Jay-Z, Nas, Ludacris, Outkast, and a host of others.  All the stuff I hear on the radio just plain sucks.

792520[/snapback]

You're right, new rap does suck. I have always felt the same way and i just think that people like the Notorious BIG, Dr Dre, Tupac, Master P and No Limit, etc, had something that modern rap doesn't. This is no more evident than in Role Call by Lil John and the Eastside Boys. I like to listen to Lil John and the Eastside Boys, don't get me wrong, but Ice Cube's verses in that song and LJ and the ESB, just really define the lines as to what old rap was, and what new rap is.

I can't get into new rap. It's like they just take anything and slap a beat on it and give it a hook and for some reason the radio plays the living sh-- out of it. The other day on the radio i heard a song about chicken noodle soup! And it was rap. This is not what i grew up with, it isn't even rap.

Modern Rap has certainly traveled far from the days of Natural Born Killers, Machine Gun Funk, Boys in the hood, and Protect Ya Neck. That's why i was hoping that some people here could come up with stuff that is new and respectable, but also stuff that is older and may not be as recognized but is still respected as a decent song. I was looking for something with an east coast beat, dark lyrics, and a decent flow. Freestyles work too. Nothing beats Big L freestyles though.

If you haven't already, pick up that T.I. cd, King. In fact, any T.I. album is pretty straight in my mind. About five years ago a few of my boys at school who lived down the hall used to bump this one T.I. song, Dope Boyz, all the time. When I found out who he was, I started paying attention to him, and he has yet to disappoint. Urban Legend was one of the better albums to come out in the last few years, and King is pretty straight as well.

I know what you are saying about newer rap (and in my opinion, specifically newer southern rap), but I always felt T.I. was way beyond most of the ground-level, Swisha House/Ca$h Money type sh-- that cycles in and out. He has an Eminem-like quality to his flow that puts him on par with the Ludacris and far from the Lil Jon area.

And while his album isn't new, nothing has come out since that can touch it in my opinion.

~And with regards to freestyles, see if you can find old Eminem flows. Some of his stuff is incredible, to the point that you don't believe it's a freestyle.

I listen to very little new rap. The only new rap artist I can listen to is T.I, Young Jeezy, and some Ludacris. Otherwise it's strictly: NAS, Pac,Biggie, ,Outkast,Busta Rhymes, Wu Tang, Bone Thugs, Sticky Fingaz, Big L, Cannibus, Scarface, Fat Pat, Old Snoop/Dre, Redman, Rakim, Mobb Deep, Slick Rick among others.

Newer rap is pretty much garbage.

If you haven't already, pick up that T.I. cd, King.  In fact, any T.I. album is pretty straight in my mind.  About five years ago a few of my boys at school who lived down the hall used to bump this one T.I. song, Dope Boyz, all the time.  When I found out who he was, I started paying attention to him, and he has yet to disappoint.  Urban Legend was one of the better albums to come out in the last few years, and King is pretty straight as well.

793599[/snapback]

Urban legend is a great LP it's still on rotation in my cd player. Haven't picked up king yet I'll have to dl some songs off limewire before buying it or not.

If you haven't already, pick up that T.I. cd, King.  In fact, any T.I. album is pretty straight in my mind.  About five years ago a few of my boys at school who lived down the hall used to bump this one T.I. song, Dope Boyz, all the time.  When I found out who he was, I started paying attention to him, and he has yet to disappoint.  Urban Legend was one of the better albums to come out in the last few years, and King is pretty straight as well.

I know what you are saying about newer rap (and in my opinion, specifically newer southern rap), but I always felt T.I. was way beyond most of the ground-level, Swisha House/Ca$h Money type sh-- that cycles in and out.  He has an Eminem-like quality to his flow that puts him on par with the Ludacris and far from the Lil Jon area.

And while his album isn't new, nothing has come out since that can touch it in my opinion.

~And with regards to freestyles, see if you can find old Eminem flows.  Some of his stuff is incredible, to the point that you don't believe it's a freestyle.

793599[/snapback]

Old Eminem Freestyles are unbelievable. Notorious BIG freestyles are hot too, try The Wickedest Freestyle if you haven't heard it yet. I don't know why, but i like it.

I listen to very little new rap. The only new rap artist I can listen to is T.I, Young Jeezy, and some Ludacris.  Otherwise it's strictly: NAS, Pac,Biggie, ,Outkast,Busta Rhymes, Wu Tang, Bone Thugs, Sticky Fingaz, Big L, Cannibus, Scarface, Fat Pat, Old Snoop/Dre, Redman, Rakim, Mobb Deep, Slick Rick among others.

Newer rap is pretty much garbage.

793603[/snapback]

I listen to Project Pat, he's got some interesting stuff that flows very well as opposed to some of his other stuff. I gotta say, one of the hottest songs i have ever heard was Shoot 'Em Up by Nas. That sh-- is unbelieveably tight.

Freestyle artists? Eminem and Big L (rest in peace) are good choices, but I still think Rakim and KRS-One are two of the greatest freestyle rappers I've ever heard. Another guy who was really good is Mad Skillz, a rapper from Baltimore who got a record deal because of how good a freestyle rapper he was.

I've been listening to alot of TI lately...

Too many bitches cherish me

Pimp til I die, be a playa til they bary me

Renegade, I'ma keep it pimpin', I ain't finna play

Anyway, I can hit the baddest bitches anyday

Slept with the best, I ain't gotta flex

Got yo girl stretched out, pullin' up her dress

Freestyle artists?  Eminem and Big L (rest in peace) are good choices, but I still think Rakim and KRS-One are two of the greatest freestyle rappers I've ever heard.  Another guy who was really good is Mad Skillz, a rapper from Baltimore who got a record deal because of how good a freestyle rapper he was.

793776[/snapback]

Download checkmate by Jadakiss, that is a good freestyle that insults 50 Cent throughout the whole thing. It really changed the way that i listened to 50 Cent and the way that i viewed him as a "gangster".